Challenge to my authority

Mason

I have been smoke free since the summer of last year and thought I had really turneded a corner. Last nite the cigarettes attempted a coup that was unprecedented. I was very close to "just 2 tonite" and then I'll be okay. This has been my ruin before, I fought and won and this morning I am claiming victory over this battle! NOPE!!!

• Like 18

Well done!!  Thank you for sharing this Mason.  It just confirms the fact that we must be ever vigilant in our quits and to not "rest on our laurels".  As a newbie, it lets me know I need to settle in and maintain this an my new normal.

I have a friend who lit up on a 6 month quit.  It was around Thanksgiving time and she was so so so mad at herself.  It's March; she's still smoking.

• Like 3

Good job, Mason! Talk about a Nicodemon Smack Down!  Wooo Hooo!  :yahoo:

You must be so pleased with yourself for FINALLY catching on to Nicdemon's tricks and snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. Yes, it's hard to understand why these feelings can come from out of nowhere especially after such a long quit. But they do happen to everybody. Thank you for sharing your victory with us.

• Like 1

:wub:  I really liked this thread because it shows how you have to

keep stepping on the back of the addiction until it's broken.

I have quit other things in my life...and once the thing is broken

it's dead...even if there are thoughts. But it's odd that even having

done it with other things...smoking seems somehow different. Why

does smoking get to be so special??????????????????

I sometimes have this fear that in a second I will somehow "forget"

I am a nonsmoker.

How is it possible to have such an insane fear? (For the record, I

don't drink so I'm not talking about being out at a party or something.)

I really enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks, all.

• Like 1

I cut out drinking in 2014 because it automatically killed all my quits. It's just an

association I couldn't break. I liked my couple of Guinness a month, but I knew

I wanted to quit smoking in 2015. So not drinking hasn't been a big sacrifice.

I know now there will be places and times I will be

confronted by the addiction and won't be able to control the whole situation, so

I will remember that I own authority on this matter!

• Like 3

Well done!!  Thank you for sharing this Mason.  It just confirms the fact that we must be ever vigilant in our quits and to not "rest on our laurels".  As a newbie, it lets me know I need to settle in and maintain this an my new normal.

I have a friend who lit up on a 6 month quit.  It was around Thanksgiving time and she was so so so mad at herself.  It's March; she's still smoking.

Thank you so much for this!

• Like 1

Well done Mason! 8 months is tricky isn't it? I have noticed many quits lost around that time frame from similar situations. Congratulations on protecting and keeping your quit, that is a huge win!!

• Like 1

Good reminder to us at all stages of smoking.  Sometimes, even after years of not smoking, we think, "Oh, I'm drinking tonight so I can just have a couple and be back to not smoking tomorrow."  That thinking has killed many a quits, including a four year one of my own.  I won't make that mistake again. 

Way to go, Mason!  :)