nicotine replacement therapy

babs609

It's not what you think...at least not in this post.

Many people who "attempt" to quit smoking hope and pray for it.  They just crush their last few cigarettes when they are sick of themselves...of course, they just put out a cigarette when they do this so they feel all brave.  (20 min later--digging through the trash to find those cigarettes--I admit-I did that)

Then you have those that do quit--they just "put it down" and never looked back.  My dad was like that.  One day..he just decided and never once did he claim to have a hard time.  He never took a puff after that...not one.  It's people like him that all smokers look up to...hoping one day that we will wake up and just not want to smoke any more.  I waited for that moment for 15 years and it never happened.  Not for longer than 2 hours anyway. 

Most people who have an addiction--whether it's to smoking, food, drugs, alcohol, people, sex...whatever it is...they can't just "put it down" without a replacement.  There has to be a plan...there has to be an alternative.  Simply refraining from smoking is not enough...even though that's all you have to do to stay quit....one day at a time, just NOPE.  But still...something has to be put in it's place.

This is why many quitters who are not fully educated about the addiction gain weight..or drink more..or may engage in other activities not healthy for them.  Their life and situation gets worse and they blame the fact that they quit smoking....when in fact it was because they didn't find a healthy alternative.

For me...that replacement was exercise, meditation..and eating healthy.  It's become my new addiction.  Makes perfect sense since quitting smoking is all about taking care of myself and healthy living....I love it and I don't mind that I'm a little obsessed with it.  I dream about running sometimes...and when I am heading to work and see someone running..I am jealous and want to be running too...I am constantly looking up new healthy recipes and finding fun activities I would like to try that involve fitness or just "moving" like kayaking and rock climbing..I bought a bike over the winter and can't wait to get on it.

What's your Nicotine replacement therapy?

• Like 6

Great post, I was at my happiest when I was exercising and healthy eating, I had also quit smoking I felt so alive.

I would also meditate.

This will be me as of tomorrow, my new plan to stop moping around and start my healthy life style.

• Like 3

My quit was easy or at least it feels that way - I was bored of it and the reasons I smoked no longer applied to my life. I made many changes, some drastic and others just mild - at the end of the day I decided I was done and woke up a non-smoker the next morning. I am ultra competitive and I started my quit as a game of sorts if you will. I challenged myself to be around triggers, social situations and other smokers and found it quite simple. To me it was always Psychological I was very aware of my smoking behaviors - I didn't have withdrawals or even crave a cigarette after my decision to become a non-smoker.  That is one thing that I have a hard time with when I hear of relapses etc at times - the physical dependency leaves your body very quickly - here are a few documented facts  (keep this in mind next time you "think you are having a craving" or someone tells you "they relapsed because of a craving"  Bottom Line they just wanted that emotional connection again - like a sick twisted unhealthy romance.

Three Days After You Quit

At this point, the nicotine will be completely out of your body. Unfortunately, that means that the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal will generally peak around this time. You may experience some physical symptoms such as headaches, nausea, or cramps in addition to the emotional symptoms mentioned in 

For most smokers, withdrawal symptoms dissipate about two weeks after quitting.

Oh I almost forgot - I started Running a few months after I quit and I am now training to run a Half Marathon in November with DD if all goes well.

2 Hours of running is much more rewarding then smoking 20 cigarettes or more in a day.

• Like 7

I challenged myself to be around triggers, social situations and other smokers and found it quite simple. To me it was always Psychological I was very aware of my smoking behaviors -

I did this too....I never avoided triggers...faced them head on and "poof"  they magically disappeared

• Like 1

Sadly I started eating....I'm working on stopping that now.  :)  I'm looking forward to spring when I can get out and walk again in the fresh air!

So did I! I gained a lot....and don't get me wrong, I still wouldn't change it for anything. Getting free from smoking was worth it. But looking back, I realized what I could have done differently.

• Like 2

Great post!!  

I've not given red wine a test yet, but that day is coming soon.  

For that first thing in the morning "replacement", I would fix myself a glass of lemon water.  I'd drink that slowly as I waited for my coffee.  It was good and i continue it to this day.

And I'm not so far into this quit that I'm making any big waves one way or the other.  The first couple weeks was a planned free for all.  Since then it's more about being reasonable.  I have a wicked angry ankle right now so exercise is pretty subdued.  In spite of that,  rather than gaining I've lost a few so that works for me!  And the story continues..

• Like 2