Day 25. Still Waiting to Feel Better

Tyme2B

25 days since my last smoke now. Maybe I was expecting too much in reading how much better I would feel. I feel worse as in depressed but at least the insomnia is going away. I DO feel proud I have stopped smoking. But I want to sleep or just escape reality these days. Nothing exercise related or looking forward to something works to lift my low spirits. I have read about grieving & other things that affect mood. Oh well, I am sure it will eventually get better.

I'm sorry you're feeling this way, Thyme. I feel a bit the same way. Is it at all possible that it is not smoking/nonsmoking related? Just a general hum-drum kind of thing? My experience is that this always passes, and it's not until way afterward and only if I think about it that I notice that things are now much better. And at least if you keep not smoking, you'll already have done something really great with your hum-drum time right now.

• Like 4

Yes it could be just humdrum time One. Just wish it would go away. So easy to blame it on not smoking....after all a cigarette or 5 in the past supposedly helped me deal....but I know it really didn't deep down. My husband has booked a trip for us away from the frigid, snowy Canadian weather to help. I can't feel excited yet but as I start to pack, maybe I will! At least I have positive support :) From this site & from him.

• Like 1

You are right.... It WILL get better....

I cannot say how long it will be, but I can assure you it happens.

I didn't really go into my quit thinking I would feel better for a long time... .. I knew that 35+ years of smoking would take some time to undo...

Nicotine is a war that cannot be won with one battle....it will take MANY battles before the war is won....you have conquered a few of the worst ones, and still have some to go....but I can assure you, with each battle won, you will get stronger.

I can't really say when I "felt better" ...I just know today I feel GREAT, and will never have to go through that again...

A little over a year quit, and it will still surprise me that an urge will strike me...but.. It Actually makes me chuckle... I am rock solid in my mind that I will never give nicotine the chance to get ahold of me again like I did when I was young and stupid.. ;)

Hang in there... You seem to have the right attitude ...knowing it takes time...it's just that 3to4 weeks isn't much time compared to how long you smoked...

Just like in the early days of your quit...if quitting for the whole day is too long...quit for this hour, then work on the next one...

Pretty soon it won't be a conscience effort, but a way of life! :)

• Like 4

Your body is a little all over the place at the moment....

It has to undo years of toxins....

After a life time of smokkng mine went berserk.....but I kept telling myself everything I was feeling is temporary....

It really does get better....you just have to weather the storms to get there....

Smoking is not on the table.....this slogan got me through so many bad days....

Keep marchin......

Your little break sounds perfect.....a nice treat.....xx

• Like 3

25 days since my last smoke now. Maybe I was expecting too much in reading how much better I would feel. I feel worse as in depressed but at least the insomnia is going away. I DO feel proud I have stopped smoking. But I want to sleep or just escape reality these days. Nothing exercise related or looking forward to something works to lift my low spirits. I have read about grieving & other things that affect mood. Oh well, I am sure it will eventually get better.

Has anybody told you lately that you are simply amazing!!  You have quit smoking, you are officially a non smoker, woohoo!!!   :D

As to how you feel.  Quitting is a tough but worth it gig, I promise. I want to take a moment to share my post back on day 21:

I am up and down like a yoyo today. I am genuinely sorry too, I accidently misunderstood and upset someone on here today, and I'm now too worried to respond to any other threads in case I'm just "off kilter". 

Nothing really to say apart from wow, managing these emotions is really really hard. I feel like a mess the last few days and don't know how to shake it. One minute I'm fine, next minute I'm not. 

I'm sure it's wrong to say this but I miss having something that gave me space! I do not want or need to smoke but how I'm ever going to get a grip now I don't is beyond me!

It felt like a tough gig. All of us only stayed quit because we knew one thing, if it stayed like this forever then no one would quit right? They can't all have been sadists was all I came up with!  So we hold on and yes, totally be proud of how far you have come...

Who knows why it happens but someone (sorry, no idea who, maybe Markus?) said we have to find our new normal.  But before that can occur we need to shift all the chemicals, not just the nicotine. Perhaps at some stages we simply cry it out? One thing I can honestly say for sure, after the emotions came a strength, an inner strength of purpose that it would be ok...it was, it is ok. It's great now. 

I have no idea if this is coming out right...I want to say don't be afraid of this stage, it's a growth part of the quit and is as valid as shifting the nicotine. It builds our resolve, our strength of charecter gets a boost and bam...it get's a bit easier again! Also never forget the good stuff. How much clearer is your breathing. Now you can sleep again, your energy levels will raise. You will need less sleep to feel more rested than you ever have before. Absolutely marvellous things start to happen. Yes there are emotional days and days you wish could be easier...but that's life right. You start to learn that too. 

People told me to embrace the suck of it, the bad bits...that strength can be gained by squaring your shoulders and saying "yeah trigger, bring it, you can't have me". The more you do that, the easier it gets to knock those thoughts out and the more good moments you have.

So I think you're amazing! I think you are doing the absolutely best thing you can do, it's a true gift you're giving yourself and even if it needs a bit more time, it does get easier and you will be eternally grateful that you held on later. No romancing, that helps no one, just distract yourself, move yourself forward, remember why you are not a smoker...why you CHOSE non smoker and keep marching. 

You're doing grand!!

x

• Like 8

Aha....

The old waiting game eh?

Nobody is coming to deliver medals and give you permission to feel good. 

That's what we are for. :D

Marti is absolutely right. You have only gone and done it. You have only quit a filthy horrible addiction. Possibly saved your own lives and a fortune in cash.

All of the positive impacts of quitting are building day by day.

The first step is to remind yourself. You, through your own efforts, are an ex-smoker now. You are clearly a person capable of anything (we all are). CHOOSE to be happy and give yourself a pat on the back. You are doing a brilliant job.

• Like 6

If you can do 25 days, you can do ANYTHING.

There is almost nothing I guarantee in life, but I guarantee that it does get better.   For some of us, we had to stay diligent and keep our eyes on the prize for quite some time before it no longer became an issue.  Every day got better and better though.  And it will for you too.

They told us no one could succeed at quitting, the success rate was so low, why even go through the trouble to try?  What. A. Bunch. of. Phooey.  It was all designed to keep us trapped, killing ourselves, and paying the big tobacco fat cats handsomely to do ourselves in slowly.

Keep hanging in there, and remember how good you have done, and how good you will do.  No one wants to be a smoker.

• Like 5

I think the thing with quitting is we expect it to be easier than it is, we expect to wake up one morning and go ok I no longer smoke, therefore I will no longer feel the need for a cigarette, I will not have a crave or miss the feeling that a cigarette gave me, but unfortunately its not like that, what gives me hope is seeing quitters further ahead affirming that yes it does get easier and the desire does fade in time. Marti's post is briliant, and we need to remember if we can go 1 hour without a cigarette, we can go another and another, its repeat after me NOPE...........be proud of what you are achieving you are doing fantastic xx

• Like 5

Thanks to Everyone for your support. I can do this...I am going to have to expect bad days during these early stages but I am a non smoker! I tell myself this a lot!!! Your group experience on this Board certainly helps to keep Newbies on the train! xx

• Like 3

Pleased to hear today feels more positive. It does seem after a tough day, we give ourselves an easier day...it helps to remember that.

It also helps to treat yourself to nice things. It can be a magazine, or a scented candle if costs are tough. I always liked something I could see/smell. One woman bought herself a new phone, I thought that was pretty cool. Doesn't matter what it is, the point is you should reward yourself so when it feels good or bad, you can say, see what I was able to buy instead.  Plus, you're fabulous for quitting and fabulous people deserve treats :)

• Like 2