Starting over

Mastergardener

Aw Karen, I'm sorry to hear about your relapse. I know how devastating that is. :( It's good that you're being truthful to yourself and you realize that smoking (not even just one) is not an option. I'm also happy to hear you've jumped back on the train. Hugs.

• Like 1

Karen, I was happy to read that in retrospect you realize that you had been romancing the cigarette for a while before you relapsed. I think that is such an important concept-- a relapse doesn't happen from "out of the blue". If you know what to look for, you can see the seeds of relapse starting to sprout weeks in advance. If you learn to recognize that, you can take steps to deal with it, thereby preventing a  relapse.

I started a thread called "How To Prevent A Relapse" that is now pinned at the top of the Discussion forum. Although I happened to start the thread, there are a lot of great posts on that thread that will help you prevent yourself from relapsing in the future. Sharon posted a really good video that talks about the importance of finding ways to care for yourself other than by smoking. That video helped to clarify my thinking about the attraction of smoking and what to do instead of smoking.  wrote about it here http://www.quittrain.com/topic/4093-how-to-prevent-a-relapse/?p=111510

I'm very sorry that you relapsed. I'm sure that you are disappointed in yourself. But if you can learn a valuable lesson that will help to prevent relapses in the future, at least there will be a silver lining to that cloud.

• Like 1

your a window licker with a trophy to prove it now.....

need to make everyone know how disappointing it was to make a useful purpose out of a moron decision.

SO as punishment or therapy... please tell everyone how your tongue, teeth and breath felt...how about that shot of hot air entering those cooled off and healing lungs...how it wasn't what you remembered anyomore and it was worse that licking a dog turd or horse manure out in the garden... how your nose enjoyed that trickle of smoke to cause it to clog up again to hide some of the odor....

I just found this and if I could I would put you across my knee and make that ass red....

• Like 1

Oh dear God,

I really shouldn't look at this site at work. LMAO and I work in a library for crying out loud.

Okay, they tasted lousy, really, really lousy. I did NOT get that rush that I used to get when I had gone for a long time without a cigarette. Nothing enjoyable about it at all. I felt so badly for my poor lungs that were starting to feel so much better.

However, and here is the kicker, I awoke the cravings. So now, my mind is craving something that my body doesn't want. Wonderful!

The saddest part is that I was getting a glimpse of the promised land, cravings were weakening and coming much further apart. All the depression, sleeping problems and other issues had abated. I was getting there....

So, biggest lesson, we cannot have just one. It won't be what we want, but it will awaken the monster again.

• Like 5

Some people NEED the practice quit. Some don't.

You have had yours now.

You cannot crave what you do not want. 

Get into your head and sort that out. How can you crave something that you do not want? You are misinterpreting wants, desires, passing fancies as a need to smoke. 

You don't smoke. So craving a smoke is pointless. Stop it.

You will do this MG. Great work!

• Like 1

It doesnt take much to re-awaken the cravings, I know that too, hard lesson to learn, we think its ok just to have "one" but it takes us straight back to where we don't want to be, doubting ourselves, do not doubt anything, all that you are feeling is just the addiction trying to sneak its way back in, shut the door in its face, do not allow it any room, fill your head with healthy thoughts, keep the feelings that you felt in your quit alive in yourself and remind yourself constantly that that is where you want to be you want to be a non smoker, be stronger than the addiction you know you can xx

• Like 1