eCigs, does the forum have an opinion?

I have one (Nicotine free) and sometimes I've been using it at work, To go outside during stressful periods, and come back a little less stressed and ready for more work.

How does the forum view them in terms of long term abstaining from smoking? Is it a bad a idea, and should I try to stop that ASAP, or is it accepted that someones now comes with the territory of stopping smoking?

Personally, I don't think it's a bad thing since a) I don't use it every day. Today has been more difficult so far than usual, so I used it.   B )  I'm not setting fire to anything in my mouth, so I'm not breaking any rules. Right?

I know this is something that people might be divided on, I wondered if the forum itself has an opinion?

• Like 4

Whichever method you use to help you quit is your decision and yours alone.  We do have members that have successfully quit using an ecig.  I think the point here is to quit smoking cigs using your chosen method and from there setting a goal to quitting the method  whether it be an ecig or a patch.  Your end goal should be to not need to rely on anything to get yourself through the day.  Hopefully some of our members that have quit using this method will chime in.

• Like 4

Hey Rob, not smoking is great - weather that be achieved by using an e-cig, or by standing on your head for 5 minutes everytime you get a crave.... Reason being, you just want to concern grate on the not smoking part in the beginning. That being said, no one wants to use an e-cig / stand on their head 10 times a day forever - so, having a plan in place is a great idea.

A bit like breaking your leg and using a crutch - you use the crutch a lot in the beginning and, as your leg heals, you use it less and less until you don't need it any more :)

Of Sharon or Nay are around, I'm sure they could give you some excellent pointers!

I just found out yesterday that my SIL quit on New Years, and is using an no-nic e-cig and she hasn't smoked since January 1st - I'm over the moon about that :)

• Like 5

Hi rob....

I have always said ...All roads lead to Rome....

Which ever way you get there doesn't,t matter...as long as you reach your destination....

Because I had smoked so long. I didn't want anything to remind me ..of the hand to mouth action....

It would have been too risky for me....

You have a great quit....feel proud....well done....

• Like 2

My opinion... use it as a crutch if you need... but make sure you move on and continue on the path to complete freedom.  Ecigs kind of scare me now...I have a strong feeling that soon there will be some type of research that concludes they are bad for you.  I say...cut the string when you are ready and move on.  Set a quit day for your ecig...just like you did for the Real Deal Holyfield.  Ya hurd???

Keep on keepin on!!!

• Like 2

Hi Rob

I know a few people, 3 in fact, that have done the same as you. They went from smoking to zero nicotine on New Year's Day. I'm an ex vaper and can imagine more, and more folk are likely to use this as a tool so I have no problem with what your doing at all.

You asked should you get rid ASAP? only you can know what way your mind works, and what is going to be most beneficial to keeping your quit solid. All I will say is you have no excuse now whatsoever to reach for and light up a cigarette ;) as you have no reason to use nicotine as you are finding out.

What I will say is just clock, for yourself, the large chunks of time you are going inbetween reaching for it. In non stressy moments keep thinking that logic and reason over...and that becomes your final escape from the action, once you're ready.

Action fabulous news about your SIL... Smoke free! Fabulous...

• Like 3

Ecigs are not going to help you deal with stress and it doesn't matter whether or not they contain nicotine.  Dealing with stress is just a part of life and how well we deal with stress comes from developing and managing skills to get through stressful situations.  Using an ecig after you've quit smoking is playing with fire, especially if you let yourself believe that it's somehow helping you manage stress.

Take a look at this copied from another thread.

Please keep in mind that big tobacco is behind much of this; trying with all they have to not only keep you hooked on their drug but also create new drug addicts who foolishly think they are getting the best of both worlds.  Look at what PM did to cover up their deadly product, the gunk science, paid off politicians and the list goes on and on and on.  All of this, including the depositions can be found at the QT Blog.

Nicotine-Free E-Cigs Still Deliver The Juice

The amount of nicotine in e-cigarette refill solutions doesn't always match what it says on the label, particularly if the label says nicotine-free, a study showed.

A quarter of refill liquids tested (eight of 32) differed by at least 20% from the labeled nicotine content, with discrepancies that ranged from 92% less to 103% more than stated.

All three solutions labeled as "nicotine-free" contained traceable amounts of the addictive substance, Skyler Reinhardt and Maciej Goniewicz, PhD, PharmD, both of the Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, N.Y., reported at the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco meeting in Seattle.

Two "nicotine-free" products contained 0.9 mg/ml, while a third tested at 0.8 mg/ml nicotine. Labeled nicotine content in other tested brands ranged from 5 to 36 mg/ml.

"E-cigarettes have enormous potential to hook all types of users," the researchers noted in a poster presentation. "Nonsmokers that try e-cigarettes, even with nicotine-free refill solutions, may develop an addiction because of faulty manufacturing."

For conventional cigarette smokers, the battery-powered vaporizer devices are considered a safer route of nicotine delivery than burning tobacco and as a possible aid to smoking cessation.

But the findings suggested that "for users that are trying to quit tobacco cigarettes by switching to e-cigarettes, there is a possibility that they are actually inhaling more nicotine than is labeled," possibly counteracting their attempts to cut back, Reinhardt and Goniewicz explained.

Their study involved a random sample of 32 e-cigarette refill solutions from 16 brands purchased via online vendors in the U.S. that were tested with gas chromatography for nicotine content.

The findings should have implications for regulation by the FDA, they argued.

"This science can inform health policy organizations as they determine e-cigarette regulations, which can and should include ... standards for accurate labeling," Andrew Hyland, PhD, also of Roswell Park, commented in a statement.

Nothing about e-cigarettes, including labeling, is yet under FDA regulation. The agency's long-delayed proposed rules are currently with the federal Office of Budget and Management awaiting release for public comment.

Use by youth has been a concern, especially given flavorings likely to appeal to kids. Products included in the study had flavors like Gummy Bear, Root Beer, and Caramel Kona Milkshake.

The researchers noted that while most of the refill solutions tested had fairly accurate nicotine content labeling, those levels were commonly high enough to be fatal to children.

They recommended that a broader range of refill solutions be tested in the future.

http://www.medpageto...y/Smoking/44238

The study was supported by Roswell Park Cancer Institute, a National Cancer Institute grant, and JP Morgan Chase.

Goniewicz reported research support from Pfizer, which makes smoking cessation medications.

Reviewed by Robert Jasmer, MD Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco and Dorothy Caputo, MA, BSN, RN, Nurse Planner

"Miracle" Aids For Quitting Smoking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyhfRm5nev0

• Like 2

I have one (Nicotine free) and sometimes I've been using it at work, To go outside during stressful periods, and come back a little less stressed and ready for more work.

How does the forum view them in terms of long term abstaining from smoking? Is it a bad a idea, and should I try to stop that ASAP, or is it accepted that someones now comes with the territory of stopping smoking?

Personally, I don't think it's a bad thing since a) I don't use it every day. Today has been more difficult so far than usual, so I used it. B ) I'm not setting fire to anything in my mouth, so I'm not breaking any rules. Right?

I know this is something that people might be divided on, I wondered if the forum itself has an opinion?

Rob, First of all congrats on your quit! You are on the right path...the right train. Many people use a crutch to quit smoking and the ecig is a crutch. Eventually you will need to stop it. Right now you are still putting something in your mouth trying to get that " stress relief" that the cigarette did not do either.

Cigarettes do not relieve stress. Believe me if they did I would be smoking. Stress is in our lives whether we smoke or we don't. I suggest reading Alan Carts book..excellent and keep close to this board . Read posts, watch the videos, reach out for help. This site is wonderful and believe me...without some of these wonderful people I would be smoking and sinking....

You are doing great.be proud...stay close! You got this!!

• Like 5

I'm struggling with this too. I want to get a vapour pen and use the zero nicotine liquid. I justify it because it's no nicotine but I also know that it's just a crutch and I have to get used to life without putting anything in my mouth. I hope you've found a resolution to your question.

Great job on your quit!

• Like 1

I'm happy you quit, regardless of the method you're using. However, as most have stated, ecigs are certainly a crutch and it's something that you will have to give up eventually. Stress is always going to be in your life, regardless of whether you smoke or not. It is not a fix for stress. Just have a plan to "quit" the ecig and don't depend on it for too long.

You're off to a great start though. You have quit and now you just have to convince yourself that smoking has nothing to offer you. This can take some time and that's why we're here!

• Like 1

I used the vape pipe for a couple of months in tandem with smoking as a tool to replace the "ritual cigs", like after meals, getting in the car, phone rings etc. Thought it might help and I can't say that it didn't... and can't prove it helped either. When I cold turkey quit a year ago I dumped both the vape pipe and cigarettes at the same time.

For me the road is too short between vaping and lighting up. If I allowed myself the vape I would be that much closer to saying F**kit and lighting up a real cigarette. Sorry pal - a successful quit after 40 years of heavy smoking isn't something I'm willing to play Russian Roulette with. One round of heart attacks was enough for me, heh heh.

I also remember the first 20 years of my smoking career when I operated under the assumption that I was young and had plenty of time to quit. Jus' sayin', y'know?

I like how the responses shows the variation of people we have Rob but ultimately my opinion is "whatever it takes".

No one needs to say e cigs are bad news...we realize there is probably shizzle in there we don't want....is it better then smoking.... yes as a means to get you to a place of freedom in my humble thoughts.

I took champix, sent me bat shizzle but it got me quit and if I was told it had weird stuff in it but would get me to quit I would give it a shot knowingly to get here. 

My point is some people find cold turkey a big win, some people need a crutch.  Another all roads lead to rome fan here...Italy will be busy :)

• Like 3

I was a vaper while I was smoking. I loved all the shiny batteries and tasty liquids. I vaped when I couldnt smoke, and smoked whenever I could. 

I put the e-cig down along with the analogs, because for me it was the same demon.

What I wanted was freedom, to do as I please when and where I please without the constant fear of withdrawal or not being allowed to smoke/vape. 

That being said I quit by using 21mg strength patches and nicotine gum to get through the worst parts. Quit the gum, and then stepped down and off of the patches.

For many other people here this method would not have worked. 

Whatever your path to freedom is, own it and follow through.

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

it doesn't look silly to me. e-cigs helped me to quit smoking at all. i'm really thankful.

two years ago on my birthday died my uncle. he had a cancer. he was a terrible smoker, you know, he could smoke 40 cigarettes per day and it was normal. everybody said that it was not about smoking, cancer doesn't choose only the smokers. blah-blah

nevertheless, something had changed in my mindset. i've been afraid to die as like he did. he was only like 50-year old. :unsure:

it's not an another scarry story people are telling you to make you feel disguisting about being a smoker

it was so hard to quit, you know.

i realised how addicted i am when i started to try.

i've tried everything. eating, playing risk games, working out at gym, love affairs. it was OK, but then i've noticed a guy with a tobacco cigarette and started smoking again. i've been conviencing myself that it was the really last one. but, as it always happens, it wasn't.

eventually i realised that i have to smoke.one day i've seen a guy with a cigarettes and asked him to give me a light. he laughed and showed me one.  Suddenly, i've clearly understood what i have to do. e-cigs  are the option i've looking for all this months. it's a cigarette but it doesn't harm your health like a tobacco one. you can still go on a break with your colleges and smoke your e-cigs as everybody does. it's a perfect way to help you quit smoking.

i still smoke it once a month or even rarely. but it's not an addiction anymore. i'm free. ^_^

• Like 1

it doesn't look silly to me. e-cigs helped me to quit smoking at all. i'm really thankful.

two years ago on my birthday died my uncle. he had a cancer. he was a terrible smoker, you know, he could smoke 40 cigarettes per day and it was normal. everybody said that it was not about smoking, cancer doesn't choose only the smokers. blah-blah

nevertheless, something had changed in my mindset. i've been afraid to die as like he did. he was only like 50-year old. :unsure:

it's not an another scarry story people are telling you to make you feel disguisting about being a smoker

it was so hard to quit, you know.

i realised how addicted i am when i started to try.

i've tried everything. eating, playing risk games, working out at gym, love affairs. it was OK, but then i've noticed a guy with a tobacco cigarette and started smoking again. i've been conviencing myself that it was the really last one. but, as it always happens, it wasn't.

eventually i realised that i have to smoke.one day i've seen a guy with a cigarettes and asked him to give me a light. he laughed and showed me one of these e-cig. suddenly, i've clearly understood what i have to do. e-cigs  are the option i've looking for all this months. it's a cigarette but it doesn't harm your health like a tobacco one. you can still go on a break with your colleges and smoke your e-cigs as everybody does. it's a perfect way to help you quit smoking.

i still smoke it once a month or even rarely. but it's not an addiction anymore. i'm free. ^_^

Really?