Hi everyone

Rob

I've been lurking in these forums for a couple of days now, and finally have taken the decision to register. It looks like you have a really good community going here, and some of the posts like the analogy of falling of the quit train are great.

I'm Rob, 29, from Scotland and living in London, and have smoked since my last year in high school (18, so 11 years in total).

Cigarettes have been there through the best days of my life: school, university, holidays, going out drinking and having fun and whilst making new friends.

I've had one attempt in the past to stop which lasted about six months (alcohol, and I was convinced then that I didn't need to smoke anymore as it was so easy at that point not to smoke). This attempt was about 6 years ago.

I've been planning to stop since before new year, and told myself I would as soon as I run out of cigarettes. So, I finished my last pack three days ago and I am officially now a quitter for the last three days!!

It's great timing. I've started a new job so no longer have my old smoker buddies. And - the biggest motivation - I've been promising myself for years that I'd not be smoking by the time I'm 30. That's in six months, and I want to keep my promise to myself!

The first couple of days went okay. A few cravings here and there but nothing I couldn't handle. Short lasting. Outweighed by the happy feeling of my commitment to lead a smoke free life.

Today has been the worst day by far, and it would be so easy and comfortable to smoke right now. But I won't, I'm confident that that part of my life is over now. But ooooh how I've felt crap today. Imagine a craving that's constant has lasted all day. The feeling of being angry and short tempered all day. Uncomfortable, anxious, and feeling like I have a cold, and that I'm itching inside (I imagine this is what having crazy high blood pressure feels like). And I've easten a bucket load of unhealthy foods today - almost binge like - as to replace one bad habit with another.

I guess there is light at the end of the tunnel, but I really hope days like today are a rare occurrence.

And on that note, nice to meet you everyone!!

• Like 1

Hi Rob and welcome. Congrats on a great decision, I wish I had been smart enough to quit before I turned 30 !! So sorry you are having a crap day ... Unfortunately that can happen in the early days - but it does get better ... I promise a0d0423989cfe63dbac86525c36d6b54_zpsff34. In the interim read up and watch the videos here - they are full of great advice. Make sure you are drinking juice, eating fruit - your sugar levels will be all over the shop, and plan distractions - I used the gym, this board. You can do this - stay close to the board - you will find great support here ! a0d0423989cfe63dbac86525c36d6b54_zpsff34

• Like 2

Hello Rob! Nice to meet you too...and welcome to the forum! If you've been reading the forum, you know that education is key and taking it one day at a time, committing to NOPE..and knowing (even when you feel shaky about it) that "this too shall pass"..because it does, and you will feel fantastic, confident, happy. Non smokers are happy....you are a non smoker.

Happy to have you here and congratulations to you on the best decision of your life.

:)

• Like 1

Welcome to the QT Rob. Glad you are here. Everything you are feeling is normal for someone who just quit smoking. The important thing now is how you deal with it. Remember after 72 hours it's all mental and nothing more than your mind trying to make up excuses ( stress, weight gain etc. ) for you to start smoking again. 

Keep posting and stay glued to the QT or any other stop smoking forum for that matter. Whatever it takes to focus your mind in the right direction and away from excuses.

Again welcome to the QT. We have some great people here to ride the train with  :)

• Like 1

Hey Rob congrats on your decision to quit, you are in the right place. Divert your mind go for a walk, reading is great, do anything to distract yourself.

stay close to the board, do a daily NOPE, your doing great day 3 the nicotine is pretty much out of yr system.

:-) :-) :-) be proud you are a non smoker :-) :-) :-)

• Like 1

Hi there Rob!

I am in day 2 of my quit, and I hear you.  I'm sorry that you're going through this but you CAN do this.  Do some deep breathing, drink a glass of cold water, time your cravings (they shouldn't last long) and remind yourself, this side of thirty smoke free is a lot better than the other side of 30 still smoking.

• Like 1

Thanks Laura! I'll be sure to post on the NOPE board in the morning.

Thanks Lennonluvr and congratulations on your quit as wel - all the best!l :) You're right, it's definitely better to be smoke free now than to still be smoking after later on. Will definitely try some different tactics tomorrow, like going for walk etc.

• Like 1

Welcome, Rob, to a great forum. :)

Today has been the worst day by far, and it would be so easy and comfortable to smoke right now. But I won't, I'm confident that that part of my life is over now. But ooooh how I've felt crap today. Imagine a craving that's constant has lasted all day. The feeling of being angry and short tempered all day. Uncomfortable, anxious, and feeling like I have a cold, and that I'm itching inside (I imagine this is what having crazy high blood pressure feels like). And I've easten a bucket load of unhealthy foods today - almost binge like - as to replace one bad habit with another.

That sounds almost exactly like my day yesterday! I very nearly caved. 

But today I ran and lifted weights at the gym and for hours afterward I felt like I was in heaven. I still feel good from it,more than six hours later. I'm definitely going again tomorrow. I feel as if I'm feeding my body something it's craving, something healthy. 

Do like Joel says....don't take another puff, and you'll never have to go through a day like that again. 

Welcome, again. :)

• Like 2

Thanks all! Day 4 now, bring it on!!

So far I've noticed:-

* I have a lot more energy - I wake up earlier.

* Sense of smell is working again! (Not always a good thing haha)

• Like 3

Hiya Rob, Good to see the update on day 4.  Day 3 sucked big time for a lot of people. The nice thing I think is it seems after a tough day an easier one comes and we get a break. Worth remembering if you face a tough day.

The one thing I can relate to with what you've said is when it feels like the feelings are taking you over and it takes all day. I wanted to take a moment to mention my thoughts in case it helps you at all. Sometimes, without even meaning too you can follow a line of thought. I mean start thinking about it, over thinking it etc etc. It may sound silly but distract yourself as quickly as possible. No big thinking helps. Just literally think nope and do something else as soon as possible. Simple advice that really helped me early days so happy to pass it on.

Other than that, reading and watching the vids helps solidify your thinking. 

Lots more energy - check - super excited for you with what is coming!!  Your first actual deep breath is pretty amazing :) 

Some people find their sleep patterns are disturbed to start. However I agree, need far less sleep now and hangovers are way easier too. All good news, more time to enjoy life!

Have you put any new habits in place to replace the times you would smoke? That really helped me. As did writing a list of reasons you quit, carry it with and if you doubt it's easy to pull out your own reasons and re-assure yourself?

Junk food, why not ey :)  Just a phase, don't worry too much. It will calm down on it's own and you will find a new normal later. Although exercise really helps with this quitting malarky...gets the feel good endorphins releasing and combined with the extra energy, more time etc not a bad "habit" to add when you feel ready.

Rambling, oops!! Shutting up now :)  Welcome and congrats on your quit!!

x

Thanks Doreensfree! There is definitely a good sense of community here.

And thanks Martin for taking the time with your lovely long motivational post, it's appreciated! I'll be sure to follow your advice and distract myself when I have a day like that again! I've watched a couple of Joel's videos and they're quite good - I'll watch more soon.

I'll come up with a few new habits, like trying different teas.

So far don't seem to have the physical cravings of yesterday. More of a lowly feeling sorry for myself and missing smoking and wishing I could go outside and smoke with my flatmate... But NOPE, not going to happen, I know that's crazy and temporary junkie talk and not part of this permanent and rational decision.

• Like 2

Your first actual deep breath is pretty amazing :)

Coincidentally, I did this last night. I sat with a straight back and started breathing slowly and deeply. It's a totally new experience, meaning, it feels distinctly different than it did before. I wish I had thought to put into words what it felt like before so I can better compare it and share it. The best word for how it feels now is "normal." And who knows, perhaps in a while I'll experience breathing that is way more normal than what I experience now. :)

• Like 1

Hi, Rob!  Welcome to the QuitTrain!  Remember,  your smoking buddies don't get to smoke, they have to smoke...because they are addicts.  All smoking one does is set up a craving for another.  Has anyone mentioned Allen Carr's book EasyWay to Stop Smoking?  It has been a great help to many of us. Congratulations on your wonderful decision to quit!

Welcome Rob!!! You got through the first 3 days and the withdrawals should ease up. Make sure you go easy on coffee ;)

Read and watch as many articles of Joel Spitzer or watch them, stay close to the board and pledge to NOPE every morning :D

You will make it will there be crappy days? Beautiful days? Yes but all without cigarettes!

Thanks Evelyn & Faye!

Day 5 morning now, and I'm feeling great! Suddenly I can breathe a lot deeper, it's weird and really pleasant!

No morning craves this morning either. I think it's all mentel rather than physical from here on out. The world seems great this morning. I'm relaxed, energetic, and confident that this is the best decision ever.

Morning!

• Like 3

Morning Rob!

A belated welcome.

You are spot on, it is mental and if is absolutely the best decision that you have ever made. Keep enjoying the freedom, and get yourself a little reward from the money that you have saved. Might be something as simple as a magazine, but start reinforcing the positive messages.

Great work Rob. You are on the right track!

• Like 1