my first SOS

tony950

Hey Tony from San Jose ( I played some golf up near you, beautiful part of the world)

Nancy is right.

Your posts read like you are a bit scared that smoking might not be good for you...but you kind of like it.

That ain't gonna get it done Tony.

Make a decision. Commit to quitting and quit. It is commitment that will take you through.

• Like 2

Hey Tony. I'm no expert on patches - but I know a little about cold turkey.

Two things you need - 

1. To understand the addiction - go to the newbie videos here or read the Easyway by Allen Carr.

2. To commit to "NOT ONE PUFF EVER. JUST FOR TODAY"

That's it.

Quitting is scary - but once you understand that actually smoking does nothing AND NEVER DID anything for you - then you put your head down and quit one minute, hour, day at a time.

thanks for the advice. just ate lunch and chest tighten up a bit. so really trying to skip that after meal smoke. its hard to say the least. but thinking about the way i feel might just work

Tony well done...keep going.

I have heard others say they have a tight chest so seemingly it could be part of the course. I don't know if you have a handy timeline or not Tony? So will post this one just in case you don't as it's a really good one.

http://www.achoice2live.com/quit-smoking-quick-reference-guides/quit-smoking-side-effects-timeline/

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Tony!  

Quitting smoking may not be a walk in the park but it does get easier.  Don't let fear of life without smoking keep you from quitting.  The fear is just the addiction talking.  You're used to living your life with cigarettes and it's hard to let go, but I promise there is a wonderful nosmo life waiting for you!  It just takes time.  Let us know what we can do to help.

• 2 weeks later...

well ive been slipping for the last week. and this morning im feeling even worse. so i got up justt now and what cigs i had left i broke them in half and threw them away

Great work getting rid of the smokes!

This game is simple. You smoke. Or you don't.

Smoker. Non smoker.

Get rid of this "slip" idea. There is no such thing.

You can do this buddy! Welcome to your smoke-free life!

• Like 2

Hi tony....

Great to hear you smashed those cancer sticks to pieces....

You can do this....

Tell yourself you are a wonderful non smoker.........best decision ever....

Stay close to the board ,post often...we will support you all the way....

One day at a time....this is how its done..

Well done..

Tony, so glad to hear you got rid of the smokes you had left.  Each time you slipped you just had to start over.  Stay close to the board and when you get an urge to smoke, post away!  Also take deep breaths and drink lots of water and juice.  You can do this!  NOPE, NOPE and NOPE  (Not One Puff Ever)

• 1 month later...

well an update on where im at with kicking the bad habbit. its been about a month an a half now since i lit up a smoke. breathing has gotten better. still having a hard time getting a good nights sleep though. i cant figure that one out

• Like 1

Hi Tony thats absolutely brilliant, great to hear the breathing is getting better.  The sleep pattern will settle down, your body is changing and adjusting all the time and your brain is getting used to being nicotine free, maybe a warm bath, read quietly, something to soothe and calm your brain before going to bed?  xx

well an update on where im at with kicking the bad habbit. its been about a month an a half now since i lit up a smoke. breathing has gotten better. still having a hard time getting a good nights sleep though. i cant figure that one out

congratulations tony on your quit, glad you are breathing better :), not sure about the sleeping, for me it took 3 weeks to get back into regular sleep patterns, have you tried cutting down on caffeine or maybe new pillows etc?

Hi tony...

My sleep pattern took a good while to settle down....

You have had a few suggestions....worth trying them out....

Try and make sure you are relaxed... before retiring......

I found a nice bath helpful....

Your doing great....it's all temporary.....

Welcome Tony! I am just a little behind you in my Quit. Insomnia was my biggest problem too. It has finally settled down & I can sleep again. I only drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning & no caffeine after that. It does get better. But I must admit to you that I did finally take an Over The Counter sleep aid which helped my sleep habits to return to normal. Congratulations on your Quit! This site is a wonderful support & really helps through the tough times.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

i hoped things worked out well for you tyme2b. for me things went down hill again. i quit for 4 months then about a 5 weeks ago i started having problums with my porstate. went to the doctors a few times, one trip the er. all that time i was so stressed out and bothered from the pain i was suffering with my prostate and bladder, i started smoking again. so i guess its been 2 weeks now that i went back to smoking a pack a day. the medication they got my taking for my problum is dehydrating me to know end. i am unable to hydate fully wheni go to bed for the night. so i take my meds before i go to sleep , then wake up the next monring feeling worse and worse. this morning i woke up and drank 2 cups of coffee and did 2 smoke breaks. got done with the second smoke break, came back in house and had the feeling of shortness of breath. so i was forced to use an inhaler. it worked some what. im doing a little better now. but i feel like im back to gorund 0 again and that 4 months of nt smoking was all for nothing. so here we go again. made the decision once again to try and stop smoking again starting today, cold turkey