Recipes

Colleen

This one from Epicurious is really good.  Just a suggestion, omit the prunes.  They don't belong in meatloaf, lol.  I also make my meatloaf in cupcake tins, cooks more evenly.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Meatloaf-241512

Thanks colleen, I made it but I diversified a bit, I'm terrible at following recipes and have to add a bit of this or that if it's in the cupboard once I have the general gist of things, I omitted the milk(yuk) I added some stuffing mix and. Brown sugar and ketchup yum, it was really tasty, rez laughed when I said it tasted like our faggots I don't know why ;) lol

We enjoy this homemade Donner Kebab, not greasy like the ones from the take away and extremely easy to make. I'll post the recipe and picture and have the recipe for the Pitta Salad, from my Take Away Sercets cookbook if any wants it... Just let me know.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/23670/authentic-turkish-doner-kebab.aspx

11raf0o.jpg

I really hate it when my evil voice pops up out of nowhere! When I saw Sharon's mention of "Donner Kebabs" my mind immediately said, "E-e-e-w-w! The Donner Party!" (that's a reference that only Americans would know, and not very many of them, either). Sorry, Sharon. Your LAMB Kabob recipe looks delicious! :)  

• Like 2

For tomorrow...

creamy-garlic-pasta-400x300.jpg

Creamy Garlic Spaghetti

2 teaspoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 cups chicken broth, plus a little extra
1/2 pound spaghetti
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley 

In a medium pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add the garlic and stir for 1-2 minutes.  Add butter and melt, stirring constantly.  Add salt, pepper, and 3 cups chicken broth.  Bring to a boil.  Add the pasta and cook according to box directions.  Add a little more chicken broth if the noodles start to stick to the bottom and burn.  Add the cheese, cream, and parsley when the pasta is cooked to your desired tenderness and mix thoroughly.  Serve immediately.
  • Like 4

For tomorrow...

Creamy Garlic Spaghetti

2 teaspoon olive oil

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 tablespoons butter

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/2 pound spaghetti

3/4 cup heavy cream

In a medium pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and stir for 1-2 minutes. Add butter and melt, stirring constantly. Add salt, pepper, and 3 cups chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to box directions. Add a little more chicken broth if the noodles start to stick to the bottom and burn. Add the cheese, cream, and parsley when the pasta is cooked to your desired tenderness and mix thoroughly. Serve immediately.

That looks amazing!!!!

For tomorrow...

Creamy Garlic Spaghetti

2 teaspoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 pound spaghetti
3/4 cup heavy cream

In a medium pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add the garlic and stir for 1-2 minutes.  Add butter and melt, stirring constantly.  Add salt, pepper, and 3 cups chicken broth.  Bring to a boil.  Add the pasta and cook according to box directions.  Add a little more chicken broth if the noodles start to stick to the bottom and burn.  Add the cheese, cream, and parsley when the pasta is cooked to your desired tenderness and mix thoroughly.  Serve immediately.

I will be trying this one, for sure!

I made these recently, and they came out great!  The only thing I did different was to double the cayenne pepper...we like heat...

Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Wings

Prep time
5 mins
Cook time
4 hours
Total time
4 hours 5 mins

These barbecue chicken wings become tender in your slow-cooker and finish up with a crispy outside under the broiler for the perfect barbecue chicken for any party or meal.
Author: Good Dinner Mom
Recipe type: Slow Cooker
Cuisine: Barbecue
Serves: 4-6
Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 4 pounds chicken wings and drummettes, or chicken drumsticks, trimmed
  • 1½ cups barbecue sauce, divided
  • Vegetable oil spray

Instructions
  1. Mix sugar, paprika, mustard, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper together. Place ingredients in large plastic zip-lock bag. Dump chicken wings or drumsticks into bag and shake until all chicken is coated; transfer to slow cooker. Pour ½ cup of the barbecue sauce over chicken and stir to coat. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 3-4 hours on low for wings, 4-6 hours on low for drumsticks.
  2. Position oven rack 10 inches from broiler element and heat on high. Place a wire cooling rack on an aluminum foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and coat the wire rack with vegetable oil spray. Transfer chicken to prepared baking sheet; discard braising liquid that remains in slow cooker.
  3. Brush chicken with ½ cup more barbecue sauce and broil until lightly charred and crisp (to your liking), about 10 to 15 minutes. Flip chicken over, brush with remaining ½ cup barbecue sauce, and continue to broil until lightly charred and crisp on second side, 5 to 10 minutes longer. Serve.
  4. Note about drumsticks... I've made these with wings and drumsticks and the wings do turn out much more juicy and impressive. Drumsticks are yummy, but if you like both, go with the wings.

• Like 2

This is my favorite right now:

INGREDIENTS

2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

8 ounces sweet Italian sausage, casings removed

2 celery stalks (with leafy tops), thinly sliced

1 medium yellow onion, diced medium

1/2 cup dried lentils

6 cups low-sodium chicken broth

1 bunch (about 1/2 pound) kale, preferably Tuscan, stems removed, torn into bite-size pieces

Coarse salt and ground pepper

2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar

DIRECTIONS

In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot,

heat oil over medium-high. Add sausage

and cook, breaking up meat with

a wooden spoon, until golden brown,

about 5 minutes. Add celery and onion

and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.

Add lentils, broth, and 1/2 cup water

and bring to a boil. Reduce to a rapid

simmer, partially cover, and cook until

lentils and vegetables are tender,

25 minutes.

Add kale and season with salt.

Return soup to a rapid simmer, cover,

and cook until kale wilts, about

5 minutes. Remove soup from heat,

stir in vinegar, and season with

salt and pepper.

COOK'S NOTE

You can substitute spinach or chard for the kale in this recipe. The soup can be enhanced by adding a couple of thyme or rosemary sprigs as it simmers.

• Like 3

Sharon,

Can we have the salad recipe and the Kung Po recipe?

Colleen, That looks great, and I like the oven part, instead of stir, stir, stir ;)

Sorry for the delay! As soon as I've cooked tonight's dinner will set to and write them for you.

Not counting a roll, they are 296 calories and 29 g of protein.

Chicken Parm Burgers

1 lb. ground chicken

1 egg

½ cup plain breadcrumbs

¼ cup pasta sauce

2 cloves fresh garlic

½ tsp. rosemary

½ tsp. oregano

Olive oil for cooking - 3 Tablespoon is the most you need.

6 slices Provolone cheese

A few Tbsp. of pasta sauce for drizzling

In large bowl combine ground chicken, pasta sauce, egg, breadcrumbs, garlic, mix with your hands to thoroughly combine.

Divide into 6-8 portions and Form into a flattened patty.

Drizzle a few teaspoons of olive oil into a nonstick skillet and cook patties over medium heat            until browned on each side.

Melt a slice of provolone cheese on top and remove from heat.

Drizzle a little sauce on top of “burger” to dress.

ChickenParmBurger_zpsa2e75ae3.jpg

• Like 2

Kung Pao Chicken serves 1

1/4 red pepper chopped

1/4 green pepper chopped

1/2 small onion chopped

1 dried red chilli pepper

Dash of dry sherry

I tsp rice wine vinegar

1 tbs soy sauce

1/2 tsp testament oil

1 tsp sugar

2 tbs of water

1 large chicken breast

1/2 teaspoon soy sauce

1 tbs vegetable oil plus extra for frying

1/2 tsp cornflower

1 tsp garlic paste

1 tsp ginger paste

2 tbsp roasted peanuts

In a small bowl combine the red pepper, green pepper, onion and red chilli pepper. Set aside.

In a separate small bowl, combine the dry sherry, rice wine, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, sugar, water and cornflower.

Trim any excess fat from the chicken and cut into small pieces. Add the 1/2 tsp of soy sauce and vegetable oil. Mix well and add the 1/2 tsp of cornflower. Mix well again.

Heat a wok or frying pan to a high heat. Add a little vegetable oil. Drop the chicken into the pan and leave for 30 seconds to seal. Stir fry the chicken for around 3-4 minutes, or until just cooked through. Remove and set aside.

Add the prepared vegetables to the pan and mix well. Stri fry for I minute.

Return the chicken to the pan and pour in the prepared Kung Pao sauce. Mix well and cook for a further minute or until the sauce begins to thicken. Add the roasted peanuts and mix well.

Pour the Knut Pao chicken into a long foil tray and serve with egg fried rice or plain chow mien to create that authentic take away feel ;)

• Like 2

Pitta Salad ( kebab shop style).

Serves 2-3

2 red onions finely sliced

1 carrot grated

1/4 cucumber thinly sliced

4-5 red cabbage leaves finely sliced

1 large handful of shredded lettuce

1 tomato sliced

1 tbs lemon juice

3-4 red kebab sauce

1-2 jalapeño chilli peppers (jarred)

3-4 pitta breads

Place the sliced onions in a bowl of cold water for around 30 minutes. Drain well through a sieve and pat the onions dry with kitchen paper.

In a large bowl combine the sliced onion, grated carrot, sliced cucumber, sliced cabbage leaves, shredded lettuce and sliced tomato.

Add the lemon juice and mix well. Dress with Red kebab sauce and garnish with the jalapeño peppers.

Red Kebab Sauce (kebab shop style). Serves 1

6 tbs tomato ketchup

4 tbs water

1 tsp mint sauce

Chilli powder to taste

Pinch of salt

In a bowl combine the ketchup, water, mint sauce, chilli powder and salt.

Add chilli powder sparingly, at first until the desired heat is obtained.

Add a little more water until the sauce reaches the desired consistency.

Enjoy...;)

• Like 1

I'm trying this recipe out today. Not sure how it will turn out. It is called Sugar-Free Apple Pie Chia Seed Jam + Breakfast Parfait:

sugarfreeapplepiejam-9376.jpg

YIELD
2 PARFAITS SOAK TIME
1-2 HOURS OR OVERNIGHT PREP TIME
15 MINUTES COOK TIME
20 MINUTES
Ingredients: FOR THE JAM (MAKES 1-1.5 CUPS)
  • 3 large apples, peeled and diced
  • 3/4 cup 100% pure apple juice
  • 2 tablespoons chia seeds
  • 3/4-1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
  • pinch of fine grain sea salt (optional)
FOR THE PARFAIT:
  • 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
  • 1 + 1/4 cups homemade or store-bought almond milk
  • 2 tablespoons chia seeds
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • sweetener, to taste (optional)
  • Apple Pie Jam (from above)
  • Chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
Directions:
  1. For the jam: Add all jam ingredients into a medium pot and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a low boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so. When the apples are fork tender, remove from heat and mash 50% of the mixture to thicken. Set aside to cool.
  2. For the vegan overnight oats: Combine the oats, chia seeds, almond milk, vanilla, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Place in the fridge overnight, or for at least 1-2 hours to thicken. Once the oats are softened and the liquid is mostly absorbed, it's ready. You can thin it out with more milk if needed or thicken it with more chia seeds.
  3. To make each parfait: Layer the vegan overnight oats with the apple pie jam, a few spoonfuls of each per layer. Add toasted chopped walnuts on top of each layer if desired.
  4. Store leftover jam in an air-tight container or jar in the fridge. Should last for at least 1-2 weeks.

Read more: http://ohsheglows.com/2013/09/05/sugar-free-apple-pie-chia-seed-jam-breakfast-parfait/#ixzz3RFYRrUAn

• Like 3

Doing the above recipe today and will also be making this for lunch. I'm thinking about pairing it with a salad because I haven't had a lot to eat today and I'm quite hungry. Picture and recipe taken from Oh She Glows:

chickpeapancake-0362.jpg

http://ohsheglows.com/2013/09/15/jumbo-chickpea-pancake-a-high-protein-filling-vegan-breakfast-or-lunch/

• Like 1

Doing the above recipe today and will also be making this for lunch. I'm thinking about pairing it with a salad because I haven't had a lot to eat today and I'm quite hungry. Picture and recipe taken from Oh She Glows:

chickpeapancake-0362.jpg

http://ohsheglows.com/2013/09/15/jumbo-chickpea-pancake-a-high-protein-filling-vegan-breakfast-or-lunch/

How did this one turn out??

Hummus Recipe

Another altered and amended recipe by Scott..

Gluten, Soy & Corn Free!

Prep time:  10 mins     Cook time: no cook  

This is probably the easiest thing in the world to make that is both good and good for you.

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup (59 ml) tahini - home made or store bought
  • juice from 1/4 lemon (approx 2 tablespoons)
  • 1or 2 med size garlic clove, diced & minced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, or safflower oil,
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt of choice
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • One 15-ounce can (425 grams) chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons water
Instructions
Start with the tahini (see note 2 below) and the lemon juice in the food processor, process for 30 seconds and scrape down the sides, do this three times..... then add the garlic, oil of choice, salt cumin and process again for 30 seconds, scrape sides down, again do this 3 times.... Open the can of chick peas, rinse in a colander and add them to the processor. ( I do 1/3 process for 30 secs, add the second 1/3 process for 30 secs, Then the rest ) Process the hummus until it is very smooth and the mixture is evenly mixing in the bowl of the processor. ( See Note 1 below ) If not moving evenly in the processor bowl, add a little more oil, but just enough until the mixture is blending smoothly in the bowl. At this point you have hummus. You be the judge of the consistency, If not smooth enough keep blending, if too thick add water a table spoon at a time and process, also salt and pepper if you like till it is the consistency and taste you prefer.

When serving, put into a bowl and drizzle a tablespoon or so of oil over the top.
Enjoy on crackers, chips, etc. I like to dip celery sticks in mine.

Note 1: If you are going to add a flavor, this is where you do that ( before adding the additional oil & water ). For my spinach and artichoke hummus, I added about 1/3 cup of artichoke hearts, and 1/3 to 1/2 cup prepared spinach. ( I like spinach better, lol ) Processed until smooth. Next time I am going to try doing caramelized onions.

Note 2:  If you want to make your own tahini, it is very simple. I start with a cup of sesame seeds ( you can do as much as you want, I use a small processor ) bake the sesame seeds at 350 degrees for about 6 minutes ( preheat! )... put the seeds into the processor and start processing.  Process as long as the mix keeps moving, add a little oil if needed a bit at a time until you have a smooth runny paste. Don't be in a hurry to add the oil, It takes up to 10 minutes of processing to get to the desired consistency.... Note...  the sesame seeds do not have to still be warm from the oven when you are processing them.

Hummus Recipe (cont'd)

Disclaimer: My recipes are not really mine, they are just altered versions of somebody else's that I tried and did not like. I am not sure if it is because the gluten free flours are so temperamental , but I have yet to try a recipe and have it come out right. So what you get from me is a recipe that works for me, I hope it works for you too.  But if you tell me you had to alter something too, I will not be surprised or offended.

Notes

FYI, I don't think you can over process this. the more you blend the smoother it gets.......

Work on making up your own flavors... I am going to try a tomato basil next time. 

I think that after I make it and put it into the fridge, the beans are still absorbing the oil. when I pull it out of the fridge it seams a little dry so I just mix in a little more oil and water with a spoon. When serving your are suppose to drizzle  a little oil over the top, but I prefer mine to be a little thicker.  Make yours how you want it!

I may not always specify it, but all of my ingredients are Gluten, Soy & Corn free.

• 2 weeks later...
French Onion Soup

2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth

1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef consomme

2 large onions, sliced 1/4-inch thick

2 tablespoons butter (I used olive oil)

2 pressed garlic cloves

1 dash Worcestershire sauce (I used 3 dashes)

1 cup shredded swiss cheese  (I used reduced fat Sargento slices, one on the bottom and one on the top)

4 slices toasted French bread (My French bread was on the narrow side, so I used 2 slices for each serving)

DIRECTIONS

Place onions and butter in saucepan.

Sauté on medium heat until onions are tender.

Add garlic and sauté 1-2 minutes (don't let garlic burn).

Add beef broth, consomme, and Woschershire sauce.

Bring to a boil for 1 minute.

Take ovenproof bowls (I use over-sized coffee mugs) and place 0.125 cup of cheese in bottom of each bowl.

Fill bowl with soup leaving room at the top.

Place toasted French bread on top.

Top with 0.125 cup Swiss cheese.

Place under broiler until cheese is bubbly.

Serve immediately.

• 3 weeks later...