Recipes

Colleen

I dont have time this week... but I am going to try to do something with this.... whodathunk?? :wacko:

I think they need to be stuffed with broccoli and cheese first!! 

Then maybe you need this idea!

• Like 1

Hummus Recipe

Another altered and amended recipe by Scott..

Gluten, Soy & Corn Free!

Prep time:  10 mins     Cook time: no cook  

This is probably the easiest thing in the world to make that is both good and good for you.

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup (59 ml) tahini - home made or store bought
  • juice from 1/4 lemon (approx 2 tablespoons)
  • 1or 2 med size garlic clove, diced & minced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, or safflower oil,
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt of choice
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • One 15-ounce can (425 grams) chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons water
Instructions

Start with the tahini (see note 2 below) and the lemon juice in the food processor, process for 30 seconds and scrape down the sides, do this three times..... then add the garlic, oil of choice, salt cumin and process again for 30 seconds, scrape sides down, again do this 3 times.... Open the can of chick peas, rinse in a colander and add them to the processor. ( I do 1/3 process for 30 secs, add the second 1/3 process for 30 secs, Then the rest ) Process the hummus until it is very smooth and the mixture is evenly mixing in the bowl of the processor. ( See Note 1 below ) If not moving evenly in the processor bowl, add a little more oil, but just enough until the mixture is blending smoothly in the bowl. At this point you have hummus. You be the judge of the consistency, If not smooth enough keep blending, if too thick add water a table spoon at a time and process, also salt and pepper if you like till it is the consistency and taste you prefer.

When serving, put into a bowl and drizzle a tablespoon or so of oil over the top.

Enjoy on crackers, chips, etc. I like to dip celery sticks in mine.

Note 1: If you are going to add a flavor, this is where you do that ( before adding the additional oil & water ). For my spinach and artichoke hummus, I added about 1/3 cup of artichoke hearts, and 1/3 to 1/2 cup prepared spinach. ( I like spinach better, lol ) Processed until smooth. Next time I am going to try doing caramelized onions.

Note 2:  If you want to make your own tahini, it is very simple. I start with a cup of sesame seeds ( you can do as much as you want, I use a small processor ) bake the sesame seeds at 350 degrees for about 6 minutes ( preheat! )... put the seeds into the processor and start processing.  Process as long as the mix keeps moving, add a little oil if needed a bit at a time until you have a smooth runny paste. Don't be in a hurry to add the oil, It takes up to 10 minutes of processing to get to the desired consistency.... Note...  the sesame seeds do not have to still be warm from the oven when you are processing them.

Hummus Recipe (cont'd)

Disclaimer: My recipes are not really mine, they are just altered versions of somebody else's that I tried and did not like. I am not sure if it is because the gluten free flours are so temperamental , but I have yet to try a recipe and have it come out right. So what you get from me is a recipe that works for me, I hope it works for you too.  But if you tell me you had to alter something too, I will not be surprised or offended.

Notes

FYI, I don't think you can over process this. the more you blend the smoother it gets.......

Work on making up your own flavors... I am going to try a tomato basil next time. 

I think that after I make it and put it into the fridge, the beans are still absorbing the oil. when I pull it out of the fridge it seams a little dry so I just mix in a little more oil and water with a spoon. When serving your are suppose to drizzle  a little oil over the top, but I prefer mine to be a little thicker.  Make yours how you want it!

I may not always specify it, but all of my ingredients are Gluten, Soy & Corn free.

I am not big on beans, especially chick peas, but I am really liking roasted red pepper hummus for some reason!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I need to make this...

cb662b10_main.xxxlarge_2x.jpg

INGREDIENTS

For the chicken salad:
1/4 avocado
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3/4 cup shredded chicken, precooked

For the sandwich:
1 whole wheat English muffin
Handful of lettuce or sunflower sprouts
2 slices tomato

DIRECTIONS
  1. In a small bowl, mash the avocado together with yogurt and lemon juice until completely combined.
  2. Add the chicken to the bowl, and mix with a spoon until all the chicken is coated.
  3. Serve your chicken salad on top of a bed of lettuce, or split on top of two English muffins with a tomato slice and sunflower sprouts (as pictured).
  4. 28449140_Screen_Shot_2015-05-15_at_2.34.

• 3 years later...

@Linda Thomas ... this is just one recipe thread... we have a whole foody forum (food for thought) as a sub forum of the exercise one.... I love to cook so often post things... soups are really only winter food but they are usually quick.

so just above the topic name you will see the forum listings, just click back on the one called food for thought and you will see all the recipe threads.

@notsmokinjo Well I should have known you would have one.  I think you have covered everything on this forum.  I love to cook too and my husband loves the cooking channels and not the sports channels (yah!)  I'm always looking for things to cook for my 103 year old lady I take care of.  She loves soups.  Thanks - I am off to the food for thought area.

@Linda Thomas I think I listed a vegan soup I do in the vegan recipe section... it is surprisingly good and you can add most herb mixes you want to it. Most of the soups I do at the moment are pureed because its the only way my kid eats vegies but in the olden days I used to make a heap of different ones. Soups are great for winter.

• 1 year later...

Here is the ANZAC bickie's recipe I use.....(I popped it in the vegetarian thread with only 1 change and it's vegan)

ANZAC Biscuits

(These are crispy on the edge and chewy in the middle...and should never, ever be called cookies...biscuits or bickie's yes, cookies NO. More proof that Aussies make the best food in the world)

1 cup SR flour

1 cup desiccated coconut

1 cup rolled oats

1 cup sugar

60g melted butter

(If you want a thin crisp biscuit you should use 125g of butter..but they spread heaps when cooking and the dough will be sloppy)

2 TBL spoons golden syrup*

4 TBL spoon boiling water

1 teaspoon bi-carb soda**

Preheat oven to 160 C.

A. Mix first 4 ingredients together on bowl, make a well in the centre.

B. Mix melted butter and golden syrup in a seperate bowl (or the saucepan you melted the butter in) until golden syrup blends. Add boiling water, mix, add bicarb..mix.

C. Add wet mix to flour mix, stir with wooden spoon until combined.

D. Spoon dough onto baking sheets and bake for 10mins.

(These can spread so I usually only do 6-8 per tray at a time...if you are making the thin ones, I'd use a tablespoon of 'dough' and do 5 per baking try...they will spread a shit load)

Will harden as they cool.

* Golden syrup is not easily available in the US....it's like a cousin to mollases except it tastes nice, kinda like caramel and about the consistency of honey. You could use honey but the taste won't be the same. Apparently you can get Lyle's brand online or at World Traders or Trader Joe's. Golden Eagle syrup is NOT the same.

**I think the US call this baking soda.

• Thanks 1