Recipes

Colleen

Here is the recipe Sharon was looking for, I didn't want to overload the What's for Dinner thread.

2 pork tenderloins (1 1/2 pounds total), trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoon minced shallot
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 + 1/3 cup chicken broth
4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 + 1/3 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves

Garnish: 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh chives

Heat oven to 400° F. 

Dry tenderloins and season with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven or deep sauté pan heat the oil and 4 T. of the butter over medium-high heat. When hot, brown the pork on all sides. Lower heat to medium and cover. Cook for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Place pork in a baking dish and roast until it reaches 155 degrees on a meat thermometer – about 10-15 minutes.

Meanwhile, add the rest of the butter and the shallot to the pan the pork was browned in and sauté over medium heat until the shallot is soft. Add the wine, broth and mustard and simmer, scraping the bottom of the pan to bring up the fond, until reduced by half. Add the cream and basil and continue to simmer until it has thickened. Mix in the parsley and add salt and pepper to taste. 

To serve slice the pork into 1/2-inch thick slices, pour the sauce over and garnish with the chives.

Serves 4.

This is not my picture, but it looks just like this :)

3231713397_2d8971a88e.jpg

• Like 7

Umm..Im not real good at following directions (according to my wife  ;) ) ..are you available to fly in tonight and cook that for dinner ...its my night to cook, and Sonic is right...that does look good!  :)

• Like 2

Thanks for the recipe Collen and I'll add mine, for you, here too. Fabulous idea to have an actual recipe thread..we could add tips here too maybe? I only ask as I try and cook different food all the time and this thread would be a fabulous place for tried and tested recipes. Save me trailing the web ;)

Anyway here is Vietnamese Chicken by The Hairy Bikers.

Serves 4

*4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

*2 spring onions, white and green parts diagonally sliced.

Marinade

*4 garlic cloves

*2 shallots, roughly chopped

*1 lemon grass stalk, outer leaves removed and white tender part finely sliced ( I use a heaped tsp of jarred lemon grass)

*2 birds-eye chillies, trimmed and thickly sliced (I often use a tsp of dried chillies)

* 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce (nam pla)

*1 tsp dark soy sauce

* 2 tbsp light brown sugar

1 tsp sunflower oil

Method:

To make the marinade,bout all the ingredients is a small food processor and blend until everything is finely chopped as possible. You may need to remove the lid and push the mixture down a few times until the right consistently is reached. Scrape the mixture into a large bowl.

Put the chicken breasts on a board and slash each one diagonally 4 times, cutting about halfway through. Place the chicken in the marinade and turn until it's all thickly coated with the mixture. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes and up to 8 hours.

Line a grill pan with foil and place a rack on top. Take the chicken breasts from the marinade and place them on the grill rack. Preheat the grill to it's hottest setting. Place the chicken under the grill and cook for 6-8 mins on each side until lightly browned, charred in places and cooked throughout. Sprinkle with spring onions- make sure you have lots of green slices- and serve.

Alternatively, my personal way of cooking using using my griddle pan.

• Like 3

I'm going to add a no fail Yorkshire Pudding recipe, as it does what it says.. No fail.

I saw this on Jamie Oliver's Great Britain food series... The book is very good too.

So you get a clean empty jam jar and a marker pen.

You crack 3 eggs and add them to the jam jar. On the outside of the jam jar you just marker pen a line on where the egg ends. Tip your eggs into a bowl. All you do then is use that marker guide as to first how much milk, tip out, then how much flour, tip out..that you use.

Add a good pinch of salt to the ingredients in your bowl and whisk and then bake as you would in your pudding tray that has your smoking hot oil in.

Used this recipe for 3 years and have never had a no fail pudding since.

• Like 3

Thanks for the recipe Collen and I'll add mine, for you, here too. Fabulous idea to have an actual recipe thread..we could add tips here too maybe? I only ask as I try and cook different food all the time and this thread would be a fabulous place for tried and tested recipes. Save me trailing the web ;)

Anyway here is Vietnamese Chicken by The Hairy Bikers.

Serves 4

*4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

*2 spring onions, white and green parts diagonally sliced.

Marinade

*4 garlic cloves

*2 shallots, roughly chopped

*1 lemon grass stalk, outer leaves removed and white tender part finely sliced ( I use a heaped tsp of jarred lemon grass)

*2 birds-eye chillies, trimmed and thickly sliced (I often use a tsp of dried chillies)

* 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce (nam pla)

*1 tsp dark soy sauce

* 2 tbsp light brown sugar

1 tsp sunflower oil

Method:

To make the marinade,bout all the ingredients is a small food processor and blend until everything is finely chopped as possible. You may need to remove the lid and push the mixture down a few times until the right consistently is reached. Scrape the mixture into a large bowl.

Put the chicken breasts on a board and slash each one diagonally 4 times, cutting about halfway through. Place the chicken in the marinade and turn until it's all thickly coated with the mixture. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes and up to 8 hours.

Line a grill pan with foil and place a rack on top. Take the chicken breasts from the marinade and place them on the grill rack. Preheat the grill to it's hottest setting. Place the chicken under the grill and cook for 6-8 mins on each side until lightly browned, charred in places and cooked throughout. Sprinkle with spring onions- make sure you have lots of green slices- and serve.

Alternatively, my personal way of cooking using using my griddle pan.

Sharon,

What do you suggest I use in place of the fish sauce?  

• Like 3

Yumm Sharon that looks fantastic - I am so cooking that !!

Colleen and DD - been trying to think of a fish sauce equivalent ( it is available in every supermarket here ) and it is hard ... It is really salty maybe a combination of fish / chicken stock and soy sauce ?? Do you have a Chinese grocer near - cos they will probably stock it ??

• Like 1

Sharon,

What do you suggest I use in place of the fish sauce?

Pippa hit the nail on the heat Colleen, soy sauce. The fish sauce brings the salty element to the dish so soy, in itself, would fit the bill.

I also have this info, I once bookmarked, as I once ran out of fish sauce so need a plan B. This comes from Nigella Lawson's web page...sorry I can't get it to just copy the section so will just give you the link. It explains how to substitute fish sauce in dipping sauce or as part of a curry or main dish

http://www.nigella.com/kitchen-queries/view/Nam-pla-%28fish-sauce%29-substitutes/2226

• Like 2

I'm going to try a new recipe Sunday in the slow cooker.  Instead of the Mirin, I'm going to use brown sugar and I'm not going to use Siriacha sauce, I don't want it spicy.   In place of the rice vinegar, I am going to used diluted apple cider vinegar.  I also am going to use boneless chicken breasts.  I picked up some rice noodles to serve with it.  I'll report back on how it comes out.

Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken

Author: The Endless Meal

Serves: 8

Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 286; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 47mg; Sodium: 683mg; Total Carbohydrate: 34g; Dietary Fiber: 0g; Sugars: 28g; Protein: 16g

Ingredients
4 bone­in skinless chicken breasts
¾ cup honey
¼ cup soy sauce 
¼ cup mirin
¼ cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons ginger, finely minced
6 cloves of garlic, divided, very finely minced
Optional: 1 tablespoon sriracha
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
2 scallions, sliced

Instructions
1. Place chicken breasts in a single layer in the bottom of your slow cooker or heavy bottomed pot. If they are
overlapping a little that's ok.
2. In a medium bowl mix together all other ingredients, except for the salt and 2 cloves of garlic. Whisk to
combine and pour sauce over the chicken.
Slow cooker method:
1. Cook on low for 4 hours. Remove chicken breasts from your slow cooker and place in a large bowl.
2. Pour the cooking liquid into a pan and boil on high for about 10 minutes, or until it reduces to about 1 cup.
Remove from heat and stir in remaining garlic.
3. Remove the bones from the chicken breasts and shred the meat using 2 forks. Pour over the reduced
cooking liquid and toss gently to coat. Season to taste with salt. Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions.
Stovetop method:
1. Using a small element, bring chicken to a boil then reduce heat to keep the liquid at a very low simmer.
Simmer, covered, for 4 hours. Remove chicken from the pot and place in a large bowl. Return the pot to the
element and bring to a boil over high heat. Continue boiling until the sauce reduces to about 1 cup. Remove
from heat and stir in remaining garlic.
2. Remove bones from the chicken breasts and shred the meat using 2 forks. Pour sauce over the chicken and
toss gently to coat. Season to taste with salt. Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions.
  • Like 3

Okay, so I made the recipe above, the honey garlic chicken one.  It was delicious I thought.  I was cooking for my son, his friend, my step-father and myself.  My son's friend said he loved it and had seconds.  My son said it might be too sweet.  My step-father dumped some Frank's buffalo sauce on it.  Which is insane because it was very flavorful.  Sharon, I think your family will like it.  If I make it again though, I might use a little less honey.  I forgot to take a picture, so I'll use the one I found at the site.

chicken-3.jpg.pagespeed.ce.fqhuaKLh_a.jp

• Like 2

Colleen that looks perfect for my tribe, thumbs up and thanks.

I made this yesterday, Chicken Makhani, and it was delicious! A North Indian dish and it was very luxurious and aromatic. I'm sorry I forgot to take a photo and it's a lot of writing for a one fingered typer.. ;) so have found the link...big fat grin.

http://www.hijackedbytwins.com/2014/02/chicken-makhani-52-cook-books.html

• Like 1

Pippa, this is a truly fabulous Actifry dish..seriously. It's Korean Sweet & Spicy chicken wings, although I used thighs...

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2010/02/sweet-and-crispy-chicken-wing-re/

I took a picture of them, last Summer, to pass on the recipe to a FB friend... Going to make these again soon as I'd forgotten about them!

2cmok7c.jpg

• Like 1

We enjoy this homemade Donner Kebab, not greasy like the ones from the take away and extremely easy to make. I'll post the recipe and picture and have the recipe for the Pitta Salad, from my Take Away Sercets cookbook if any wants it... Just let me know.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/23670/authentic-turkish-doner-kebab.aspx

11raf0o.jpg

Italian Sausage and Pepper Paella

4 links sweet Italian sausage, about 12 oz.

1/2 green bell pepper cut into 1/2 inch wide strips

1 onion, cut into 1/2 inch wedges

2 tablespoons olive oil

3-4 cloves crushed garlic

1 cup Arborio rice

1/2 cup dry white wine

1 cup rinsed and drained canned diced tomatoes

1 1/2 cups chicken broth

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit

Squeeze sausage meat from casings into a 10 inch heavy ovenproof skillet and add bell peppers, onion, garlic and oil.

Cook mixture over moderate high heat, breaking up sausage with a fork (I use a potato masher) and stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to slightly brown.

Add rice and saute, stirring, 1 minute.  Stir in wine, tomatoes and chicken broth and bring to a boil, stirring to loosen brown bits.

Transfer skillet to oven and bake, uncovered for 25 minutes or until most liquid is absorbed.  

Makes 4 servings, approximately 345 calories.

20150121_170423_zpsd8dd56a7.jpg

• Like 1