Post Acute Withdrawal (PAWS)

sharonsiff

Another piece I found that might be very helpful. http://www.addictionsandrecovery.org/post-acute-withdrawal.htm

Post-Acute Withdrawal (PAWS)

There are two stages of withdrawal. The first stage is the acute stage, which usually lasts at most a few weeks. During this stage, you may experience physical withdrawal symptoms. But every drug is different, and every person is different.

The second stage of withdrawal is called the Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS). During this stage you'll have fewer physical symptoms, but more emotional and psychological withdrawal symptoms.

Post-acute withdrawal occurs because your brain chemistry is gradually returning to normal. As your brain improves the levels of your brain chemicals fluctuate as they approach the new equilibrium causing post-acute withdrawal symptoms.

Most people experience some post-acute withdrawal symptoms. Whereas in the acute stage of withdrawal every person is different, in post-acute withdrawal most people have the same symptoms.

The Symptoms of Post-Acute Withdrawal

The most common post-acute withdrawal symptoms are:

Mood swings

Anxiety

Irritability

Tiredness

Variable energy

Low enthusiasm

Variable concentration

Disturbed sleep

Post-acute withdrawal feels like a rollercoaster of symptoms. In the beginning, your symptoms will change minute to minute and hour to hour. Later as you recover further they will disappear for a few weeks or months only to return again. As you continue to recover the good stretches will get longer and longer. But the bad periods of post-acute withdrawal can be just as intense and last just as long.

Each post-acute withdrawal episode usually last for a few days. Once you've been in recovery for a while, you will find that each post-acute withdrawal episode usually lasts for a few days. There is no obvious trigger for most episodes. You will wake up one day feeling irritable and have low energy. If you hang on for just a few days, it will lift just as quickly as it started. After a while you'll develop confidence that you can get through post-acute withdrawal, because you'll know that each episode is time limited.

Post-acute withdrawal usually lasts for 2 years. This is one of the most important things you need to remember. If you're up for the challenge you can get though this. But if you think that post-acute withdrawal will only last for a few months, then you'll get caught off guard, and when you're disappointed you're more likely to relapse. (Reference: www.AddictionsAndRecovery.org)

How to Survive Post-Acute Withdrawal

Be patient. You can't hurry recovery. But you can get through it one day at a time. If you resent post-acute withdrawal, or try to bulldoze your way through it, you will become exhausted. And when you're exhausted you will think of using to escape.

Post-acute withdrawal symptoms are a sign that your brain is recovering. Therefore don't resent them. But remember, even after one year, you are still only half way there.

Go with the flow. Withdrawal symptoms are uncomfortable. But the more you resent them the worse they'll seem. You'll have lots of good days over the next two years. Enjoy them. You'll also have lots of bad days. On those days, don't try to do too much. Take care of yourself, focus on your recovery, and you'll get through this.

Practice self-care. Give yourself lots of little breaks over the next two years. Tell yourself "what I am doing is enough." Be good to yourself. That is what most addicts can't do, and that's what you must learn in recovery. Recovery is the opposite of addiction.

Sometimes you'll have little energy or enthusiasm for anything. Understand this and don't over book your life. Give yourself permission to focus on your recovery.

Post-acute withdrawal can be a trigger for relapse. You'll go for weeks without any withdrawal symptoms, and then one day you'll wake up and your withdrawal will hit you like a ton of bricks. You'll have slept badly. You'll be in a bad mood. Your energy will be low. And if you're not prepared for it, if you think that post-acute withdrawal only lasts for a few months, or if you think that you'll be different and it won't be as bad for you, then you'll get caught off guard. But if you know what to expect you can do this.

Being able to relax will help you through post-acute withdrawal. When you're tense you tend to dwell on your symptoms and make them worse. When you're relaxed it's easier to not get caught up in them. You aren't as triggered by your symptoms which means you're less likely to relapse.

Remember, every relapse, no matter how small undoes the gains your brain has made during recovery. Without abstinence everything will fall apart. With abstinence everything is possible. (Reference: www.AddictionsAndRecovery.org)

Recovery and Relapse Prevention Strategies

For more techniques on how to get through withdrawal and post-acute withdrawal look at the pages on recovery skills and relapse prevention strategies. You can recover from addiction.

• Like 7

I'm not sure on your question Evelyn.

Do you mean you are suffering anxiety and is that part of the emotional withdrawal?

This is helpful to as it helps folk sort the emotional from the physical

Emotional Symptoms

Anxiety

Restlessness

Irritability

Insomnia

Headaches

Poor concentration

Depression

Social isolation

Physical Withdrawal Symptoms

Sweating

Racing heart

Palpitations

Muscle tension

Tightness in the chest

Difficulty breathing

Tremor

Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea

• Like 2

I can see now why I still am getting racing heart and palpitations. If the gentleman is correct and it can take up to two years for your physical body be back to pre smoking mode then that is fabulous! I can of course live with the two things, small price to be free of cigarettes, but at the same time is it wonderful to think that come June it could well stop.

• Like 1

My questions is post acute withdrawals also includes anxiety? Even though it's a physical withdawal symptom too

I'm not a doctor so am only guided by the link I posted, it would seem it falls under the emotional bracket Evelyn yes. Although if you take meds, for other things, the anxiety could be that too/also?

Sorry if I'm being vague my friend.

I suspect yes but I'm not a doctor so don't know for sure. If it is PAWS at least it might only come in waves, no and again, rather than a constant won't leave you any peace feeling.

• Like 1

Evelyn, I am not a Dr. so do not take this as medical advice. However, I have experienced anxiety as post withrawal symptoms.

As a smoker, I never got anxious. However, early in my quit, I did feel anxiety. Looking back, I wander it what I concidered anxiety was just the tightness of the chest physical change.

Try the 4x4x4 breathing. Take a deep breath in for a count of 4, hold for a count of 4, and slowly release the breath for a count of 4. Repeat. I bet it helps.

• Like 2

It's more present the anxiety even with seemingly no reason, or the irritati and Iamdoingiton without reason. Coffe makes it worse so I'm cutting back on coffee to 3 small cups a day (without isn't an option)

Thanks sharon and iamdoingit

I do use meds that are meant to help against panic attacks and anxiety but after my quit it somehow got worse and I'm in now 3 weeks quit. So the physical withdrawals should be over. Good to know that somehow in some forrm the anxiety pops up like the other stuff for the next 2 years. Nothing I can't handle but it's a bummer since I thought ow the anxiety that triggers flashbacks that triggers anxiety will be over in the next view weeks; conclusion need to stay focussed in the here and now and pracise breathing teghniques and here and now teghniques

• Like 1

p.s. so happy for this info makes me feel I'm not deluded lol

So glad it has given you piece of mind Evelyn.

At least now you know it's not in your head, your not imagining it and seemingly for some of us it's just part and parcel of it. Like you say by focusing on the here and now when it does strike you at least know it's only because you once did smoke, and not because you want to smoke and can't.

You are doing fabulous by the way and if I was a betting woman I'd bet this really is your final quit. Xx

• Like 1

Sharon. I NOPE myself through it after reading this early morning I panicked; 2 years, I wanna smoke what a lame excuse and junkie thinking NOT gonna smoke NOPE 

I use lighter pads for senseo coffee so my panic goes lower. First I was on Dark roast now on Mild roast; imagine that that sorta things help calm down the nerves

• Like 1

Sharon. I NOPE myself through it after reading this early morning I panicked; 2 years, I wanna smoke what a lame excuse and junkie thinking NOT gonna smoke NOPE 

I use lighter pads for senseo coffee so my panic goes lower. First I was on Dark roast now on Mild roast; imagine that that sorta things help calm down the nerves

I can imagine caffeine stimulating and not helping Evelyn. Please remember though there's no saying it will be two years! So don't go telling yourself you're stuck like this for two years.

I naturally cut my coffee down dramatically and I feel much better for it. Mind you I didn't try,nor plan it, just noticed it sort of happened...but I feel much calmer and relaxed for it, truth be told.

So if you do get a panic attack maybe this train of thought might help...

Only happening because I used to smoke, thank goodness I got off that ride! If I get one, I get one... Won't be forever and a small price to pay for total freedom.

You seem in a good place Evelyn... Do everything you can to stay there. Xx