Irrational Behaviors of Smokers...What were yours?

Colleen

When I quit I always had to quit in the evening and smoke 3 cigarettes; 1 for a habit, 1 to prepair and the last to put it down but when ANYTHING felt wrong I'd almost smoke 10 cigs that's how freakin' OCD I was. And I hated smoking but my record was quiting 3 times a day and buying a pack 3 times!
Patch of and another puff, patch on and an endless cyclus that was just broken 2 weeks ago

• Like 1

I remember being warned, before my operation, not to smoke as it would likely make me sick. I let it go in one ear...and out the other and nipped in the patient day room for a pre op smoke, or two.

Sick as a dog not 40 mins after coming round from my operation. I mean... How utterly ridiculous!

This was over 22 years ago where you could obviously smoke in the day room in hospitals. I have no doubt once the ban came into place I would have just marched outside to have the two.

I had an appendectomy after being rushed to the hospital for a near bust.  My first and only surgery.  I remember my mom was a wrecking ball of nerves before and during recovery.  My best friend was a nurse on the oncology floor.  

Side note... how ironic is it that my friend worked on the Cancer floor and was a heavy smoker?  His smoking buddy at work... was a respiratory therapist... as Alanis said..."isn't it ironic"?

Anyways.... I remember being moved from recovery room to my hospital room.  My buddy was there almost imediatley to unhook me.... get me in a wheelchair and then hook me back up to IVs etc etc.  He then proceeded to push me out of the room...down the elevator and outside to have a smoke.  My mom was PISSED!!!  How much of an asshole did smoking make me....a biggin.

• Like 1

I had my wisdom teeth removed and went back to smoking a few days later. I had of course convinced myself the still open wounds were "healed enough" and that it was fine. Crazy looking back to be so disrespectful to my body and the dentists work. Glad to be moving away from a place where that action made sense to me

• Like 2

I think I've done all of the above, unfortunately. 

What really disturbs me, though, is that because I smoked I cannot be sure that this wasn't what killed my two dogs, who both died of cancer. We moved quite a bit during their lifetime, and there were some years where I smoked like a fiend in the same room they were in. They were Labradors, and died at almost 13yo and 12yo....which is a relatively high age for Labs, but still.....

I had my wisdom teeth removed and went back to smoking a few days later. I had of course convinced myself the still open wounds were "healed enough" and that it was fine. Crazy looking back to be so disrespectful to my body and the dentists work. Glad to be moving away from a place where that action made sense to me

I had several teeth pulled I smoked right when I got done at the dentist I never waited silly I was

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

* Standing outside a train station for 15 minutes - missing trains home and having to wait later for the next ones - because I wanted to smoke two cigarettes in row before getting the train home from work. Every day.

* Going outside to smoke after 20 minutes of working. Sporadic and a lot of fag breaks throughout the day - sometimes as many as three in a row.

*After new year. Could hardly speak from smoking all night. Hung over to the point I could hardly eat. But well enough to keep smoking.

* Spending a fortune on aftershave! Taking aftershave with me to work in my coat pocket. Spray spray, after every cigarette...

* When visiting parents in rural Scotland every Christmas, going for mysterious long walks in -5c weather. No longer living a double life practising multiple personalities! (Smoker me and non-smoker me).

* If out drinking with work or friends, the split of 90% being outside, 10% being inside.

* Fear of spending nights at friends upon an offer as unsure how accommodating they might be of my important habit.

* That moment of anxiety after passing airport security, knowing a fag won't be possible until I'm at the otherside.

.... wow they are all coming out now, I'm no longer I denial...

I think I'll check back on this thread one day if I begin to forget about the importance of my commitment!

• Like 3

I had several teeth pulled I smoked right when I got done at the dentist I never waited silly I was

Same here!

I had a tooth extracted and was terrified of dry sockets, but I still smoked. I put a gauze over it because, you know, I "needed" to smoke.

I remember having a severe case of strep throat. So severe that my tonsils were touching and I could barely breathe, talk, and eat. However, regardless of how painful it was, I STILL smoked. WTF was wrong with me?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I smoked in front of an ER with an iv in my arm while wearing a hospital gown. I smoked in front of the chemo ward where my mom was getting treatment for cancer. I smoked right after having gum surgery. I smoked inside the Pentagon and got yelled at by a marine. I smoked in nonsmoking hotel rooms in the bathroom shower with a towel stuffed in the door crack. I have made rooms of people wait for me while I smoked before a meeting started. I have smoked butts from an ash tray.

Eeeuu

• Like 1