From EL BANDITO to el bandito

El Bandito

In 2014, I decided to take control of my life - and quit smoking. 

I am far from complacent - as I know that "only the vigilant quit endures" - but I feel confident.

Early in the quit, I developed some coping strategies for craves - one of which was a lot of walking (much to the Dog's delight!) This helped fill the extra time that I had suddenly found, and got me out and about into the fresh air.

Now - I am 124kg in my socks. 273 pounds give or take.

I'm 5'10.

Allegedly my ideal weight is 58-80Kg. 127 pounds to 176 pounds. This is the BMI index calculation.

Now - my Doctor has told me that BMI is a flawed system - which is good - as I have more chance of winning Miss World than I do of ever weighing 127 pounds and still being alive. 

I'm a barrel-chested Celt, and mant, many moons ago when I was a fit Rugby player, the lightest I was was 100 Kg.

So then - this is my weight target.

Under 100kg or 220 pounds by the end of 2015.

That's a neat 20% of my bodyweight.

Will I get there?

Yep. I quit smoking. I can do anything.

I think that is the message. Quitting smoking can, quite literally save you from a horrible death. But quitting smoking does so much more. It empowers you. It emboldens you. It gives you a sense of iron will.

So, 2014. I quit smoking

2015 I'm going to lose weight and get fit.

• Like 18

Good for you, E.B.! I love your "can do" attitude! I wish I could think that way. For me, I feel that I gained so much weight after quitting smoking that the weight eliminates all the health benefits of quitting smoking. However, since I have struggled with my weight all my life, I doubt that I can overcome it now. But maybe you're right-- maybe I can try to convince myself that if I can quit smoking I can do anything. I will watch you and see how it goes. Maybe I can follow your lead.

• Like 3

Good for you, E.B.! I love your "can do" attitude! I wish I could think that way. For me, I feel that I gained so much weight after quitting smoking that the weight eliminates all the health benefits of quitting smoking. However, since I have struggled with my weight all my life, I doubt that I can overcome it now. But maybe you're right-- maybe I can try to convince myself that if I can quit smoking I can do anything. I will watch you and see how it goes. Maybe I can follow your lead.

Hey Chrys - I'm absolutely certain it can be done.

I used to know that I was a Smoker. Whatever I did I would be a smoker.

Ha!

I'm putting together a plan... 

• Like 1

Ok - So Goals.

1. 99.9Kg or 219 pounds.

2. Waist. Trousers or pants if you must, where the waistline begins with 3 in inches. Currently a 46 inch waist.

3. % Body fat. sub 25%. Currently 36% (I have no idea if that is realistic - I shall find out!)

Tools

1. Fitbit. Counts my steps. Feeds data to Myfitnesspal.

2. My fitness pal. I log my food.

Currently I use these two to keep an eye on net calorie intake. So on days where I do no exercise - I eat 1580 calories (which should result in slight weight loss). On days where I have exercised (walked around a golf course for example) I am able to eat more. On those days, I am allowed treats, like some wine for example.

I suspect that the tools may evolve as Tech accelerates. I am reasonably certain that Apple Watch may figure going forward...

• Like 2

I like the way you think Burrito. I was thinking the same thing for 2015. ... 235 to 200. My pre quit weight.

2014 the year of the quit. 2015 the year of the fit.

It shall be so. :)

Now that is a slogan to use!

2014. Year of the Quit

2015. Year of the Fit

Like it BAT

• Like 6

Now that is a slogan to use!

2014. Year of the Quit

2015. Year of the Fit

Like it BAT

Let's meet back here this time next year and celebrate our future Playgirl modeling contracts. .... Shut up bakon !!! :P

• Like 4

I still can't find you on my fitness pal.  Anyway, Kudo's to you.  As I said in my own thread, I'm down 30lbs in the last 4 months when I started this!  I feel better, can't really tell looking at me (at least I can't) that I've lost weight, but I can tell in other ways.  You can do this!

• Like 3

I still can't find you on my fitness pal.  Anyway, Kudo's to you.  As I said in my own thread, I'm down 30lbs in the last 4 months when I started this!  I feel better, can't really tell looking at me (at least I can't) that I've lost weight, but I can tell in other ways.  You can do this!

What's your name on MFP?

I am El_Bandito

Underscore in the middle maybe the problem?

• Like 1

I am about 215 and was 190 before quiting. I know what tight pants feel like now. Every shirt or jacket too feels like it was shrunk.  I think every part of me is slightly bigger than before....I spend a few times a week in gym, but usually on weights and very little on the walking and never running. They make cars now so I see no need to run anywhere.....

Not looking to lose weight, but the waist size could go down a few. Like to come down 2-4 depending on the pants- currently a tight 36 or loose 38. Like to be 34x34 again (6'1"). SO I will join the fat girls on this if someone is organizing. Don't think I will ever be under 200 again, nor do I want to be...but like to look down and see mr happy without bending forward...

• Like 3

See your point Sarge.

I am planning on applying common sense in the kitchen rather than too much science...lots of veggies, fish and lean meat. Try to reduce sugar and processed food and booze.

Going to do some running too. Initially indoors while the winter is here. Going to mix in some cycling and rowing for variety and to reduce impact on knees.

As ever, the first 10 pounds will be easy peasy...after that it will get tougher.

54 pounds is brilliant. Well done.

How is the injury?

I am in the year of the fit!!  

I seem to be collecting chins and boobs this year and I would really like the correct amount!

I'm 5ft 3 1/2"...I do not agree with docs assessment of weight should be 9stone, doesn't suit me and steals my curves -  but would like to be back to 9 1/2 stone as a realistic goal. Currently just under 11stone.

Got to be in it to win it right :)

Stu - I have utterly no doubts on you!!

Sarge, running you say. Is the couch to 5k a sensible place to start or did you follow a better plan (existing or own) that worked well? How did you as much as possible avoid injury and how many times a week did you run?