very cool geography game

Sazerac

Not the greatest I've done either, Leana !  I got a whopping 42 points !   :P  I think I need a break from the game.  I am like you....love this game !

OK.  back to real life now.  Good luck with your studies !

• Like 1

I have never been to Europe, so I have no idea why I picked the European Union map. I didn't do so badly though at 11917.

I accidentally guessed Ireland instead of Scotland (whoops), but the French and Italian signs were dead giveaways. 

• Like 1

I find it pretty amazing that we can be shown a photo of one tiny little place that could be anywhere in the world-- anywhere-- and more often than not we can locate it at least in the right country and sometimes within 100 miles. How do we do that? I'm curious. You folks who play this game, what clues do you look for? 

I look first at the vegetation. I'm no botanist, but there are certain common plants I associate with certain types of climates--pines, palms, sage, agave are easy to identify and they grow in defined climates. Then I look at how the roads are constructed and which side of the road people drive on (a big clue there). Of course, if I there is human habitation, I look at the style of architecture, color schemes, cleanliness and maintenance, and the color and style of dress of the people. Last, I look for any words-- road signs, buses, shops. I identified one place because an outdoor menu listed the prices in currency units called py6 (I used Google to find out what py6 is. Turns out to be Russian.)

So how about you? How do you go about solving these geography puzzles?

I use all of your techniques, 

roads, vehicles, architecture, humans, signage

and along with vegetation 

I look at cultivation - techniques, signs of identifiable crops (even rubble in a field)

Sky.  clouds, maybe this is intuitive but, think of 'big sky country-Montana' and notice that 'blue'  is different in arid or humid climates.

Colour of dirt, types of rock. signs of mining ?

Mountain ranges, even in distance can give me a sense of altitude and 'place' clues.

Rivers or bodies of water.

Pure Intuition.

I have played without moving curser around and roughly guessing continents or countries and thrilled when my latitudes were correct.

I have noticed that the more I play, the better I become in identifying place,

and often blown away at how a beach in Northern California is nearly identical to one in Japan.

Beautiful World.  Beautiful World.

Very interesting, Sazerac. Color of blue sky, eh? Good thought; I'm going to check that out in the future. 

I don't believe in "intuition" as in an unexplainable gut feeling. I believe that intuition happens when our brain is processing so many teeny tiny pieces of information so fast that we aren't consciously aware of it all. Because of all this subtle and rapid information processing, the correct answer seems to appear from out of nowhere. But, no, your brain is instantly processing all these things we are talking about-- sky, roads, plants, architecture, etc.-- and saying, "H-m-m-m, looks like some place in Scandinavia." or wherever. That's why I asked this question; I was curious about what some of these "teeny tiny pieces of information" are.  

Anybody else? What are some things that you notice when trying to solve these puzzles?

• 1 year later...