Group Discussion WK/43: Unexpected ways quitting smoking has affected our lives...

I'm a short answer kinda gal, so I'll be short.  :)

Unexpected benefit was that I became much more self-confident.  While smoking, I always felt like "I couldn't. :( about so many things in life." 

Quitting made me feel like,

"I can, and it feels AWESOME!!!! :) :) :) "

• Like 6

For me NOPE isn't just a saying...it is a way of life now...

Cigarettes used to be my way of life....now NOPE is my way of life....

Not One Puff Ever

I do / say this every single day and have done since March 2014...

Best free therapy I have ever been given.

• Like 3

I was not expecting

a deep and unshakable confidence. 

While I always used  'fake it till you make it' in my life and appeared to many as confident,

today,  I am in complete possession of myself.

True Confidence,

a great CALM in my spirit

and a deeper Honesty with myself.

My inner path is now open for further exploration.

• Like 12

I agree with petra it gives you a sense of confidence and achievement that you can change anything that before maybe fear was holding you back

no matter how old you are you have the power to change things for the better

a better job, partner hobby or fitness etc

quitting smoking apart from the health and financial benefits opens up so many doors of possibilities

you just got to go for it :)

• Like 5

Quitting has gave me a great jolt of self confidence, something I feel is clouded whilst smoking. Meeting great supportive people whom understand what you are going through, even though I am only surpassing my one month I also feel I am way less stressed. :)

• Like 7

It is newer for me then many others here as I am just approaching 3 months - but I do feel as if I have more pride and confidence - I don't feel like the outcast trying to find somewhere I can just go and smoke - I am free to go where ever I wan,t I smell better, look better and feel better - I guess I don't feel ashamed anymore in the eyes of my kids, family and friends. It's just a great feeling to walk with my head held high again etc.. 

• Like 3

It is newer for me then many others here as I am just approaching 3 months - but I do feel as if I have more pride and confidence - I don't feel like the outcast trying to find somewhere I can just go and smoke - I am free to go where ever I wan,t I smell better, look better and feel better - I guess I don't feel ashamed anymore in the eyes of my kids, family and friends. It's just a great feeling to walk with my head held high again etc..

Isn't it amazing to not have to wonder if you smell like stale smoke?
  • Like 3

I'm not clinging on my asthma puffs since I no longer smoke I still use the puffs but I never have an asthma attack!!!
I'm FREE from chasing my neighbor and begging her for a fag!!! I dont smell horrible anymore.
I still use the nicotine gum but am tapering it off in how long I use it no longer 4 mg but I'm on 2 mg. 
I can SMELL again!!!
And whenever I feel an excuse raise in my head I just say NOPE and if neded write a post in SOS and while I write an SOS I already choose not to smoke but writing it down helps straighten it out!

• Like 5

I have started volunteering soo much more at the boys schools, something I have previously refused to do because I wouldn't be able to smoke and was afraid of having to be too close to other parents and teachers cos they would smell the smoke off me and I was soo ashamed of smoking, I would die if they had said anything to me about it,

Have to make a load of Halloween treats and help sell them on Friday for a bake sale at James school, normally I'd not offer to help but now I'm Happy to do it and my son is delighted, he really wanted me to go to the party and sell the cakes (apparently cos the cake sellers get to bring home all the leftovers so thats why he wants me there lll)

Less time is wasted, more motivated to get out more with kids and hubby, more confidence, alot more calmer, I hated when we were out for the day and I kept trying to find excuses to disappear for a smoke and getting all angsty and stressed wanting one that I'd end up always getting everyone to leave earlier just because I wanted a stupid bloody cigarette.

Fedl very guilty when i think of all the day outs I've ruined on my family because I choose cigarettes over my babies fun ; (

Never ever again will I pick cigs over my family, now we go out it's for the whole day and I get to enjoy every second of it :)

• Like 5

I'm a short answer kinda gal, so I'll be short.  :)

Unexpected benefit was that I became much more self-confident.  While smoking, I always felt like "I couldn't. :( about so many things in life." 

Quitting made me feel like,

"I can, and it feels AWESOME!!!! :) :) :) "

SO TRUE!!!

• Like 1

FREEDOM - confidence and pride - huge for me.

But in pure pragmatic terms...

I used to smoke 30 or so a day. (Peaked at 60 per day, but had settled into 30 for the last few years.)

I did not some in my house - I had to go outside.

I did not smoke in my office - I had to go to the smoking area.

Cigarette + Transit time = say 10 minutes.

30 times 10

300 minutes

FIVE HOURS!!!!!

Five hours every day of every week of every month of every year...imagine of you could bill that time back to the tobacco companies....

• Like 2

there are too many to list...because even today, after 2 years, I still am surprised to discover yet again..another benefit of quitting smoking.

I think if I had to choose....it would be the realization that I can do anything I set my mind to. I am stronger than I think I am...and that One Day at a Time thing isn't just a saying...but a way to live.

:)

• Like 5

The most obvious thing that comes to mind is I don't have that constant looming feeling that I've done something wrong.  I knew I shouldn't have been smoking but continued anyway just like the typical nicotine junkie.  Yesterday is gone so today I'm content.  I wish I could go back in time and not ever smoked but what's the point of even pondering that nonsense?  What's done is done and from here on out, I only feel good about my decision keep nicotine as far away from me as I can.

• Like 6

I have started volunteering soo much more at the boys schools, something I have previously refused to do because I wouldn't be able to smoke and was afraid of having to be too close to other parents and teachers cos they would smell the smoke off me and I was soo ashamed of smoking, I would die if they had said anything to me about it,

Have to make a load of Halloween treats and help sell them on Friday for a bake sale at James school, normally I'd not offer to help but now I'm Happy to do it and my son is delighted, he really wanted me to go to the party and sell the cakes (apparently cos the cake sellers get to bring home all the leftovers so thats why he wants me there lll)

Less time is wasted, more motivated to get out more with kids and hubby, more confidence, alot more calmer, I hated when we were out for the day and I kept trying to find excuses to disappear for a smoke and getting all angsty and stressed wanting one that I'd end up always getting everyone to leave earlier just because I wanted a stupid bloody cigarette.

Fedl very guilty when i think of all the day outs I've ruined on my family because I choose cigarettes over my babies fun ; (

Never ever again will I pick cigs over my family, now we go out it's for the whole day and I get to enjoy every second of it :)

This is so true too!!!  I have to volunteer at my kids' school on this coming Friday.  I'm not really looking forward to it, cuz they are older (7 & 8 grade).  However, I'm also not worried that I have to be there all evening with no time to escape to smoke. 

Quitting is just soooo freeing.  :)  It can be tough at moments - don't think it is always easy, but once you get through those first few times of unbearable cravings, it makes all the follwing ones so much easier.  Every crave you defeat makes you stronger!!! :)

• Like 1

You are so correct - I refused going to the school unless I timed it where I would have a cigarette - then take a quick shower so I didn't smell for the event but it had to be timed where I would get there right on time and could smoke right after - we were such addicts looking back - wtf was wrong with us.  I am so Happy for you Scooby and I know the kids are over the top with joy that you can go now.  :)