Group Discussion WK/43: Unexpected ways quitting smoking has affected our lives...

I agree with everything that has been said...the confidence is wonderful.  Also, I am amazed at the financial benefits...I've saved almost $4500 not smoking, and recently learned I will be saving $600 more a year on  my life insurance premiums!  It is all good!!

• Like 1

A bit late but here´s my reply. To be honest I didn´t know how many things would change now that I don´t smoke. I knew I would have more money and feel better and all those things but I didn´t knew is a gateway to getting healthier in other ways. I started exercising, caring more about what I eat (I´ve always been too conscious of calories and that kind of stuff but now I care of the quality and nutrients of food) and taking care of myself in general. 

The smelling better issue! When I smoked I didn´t realize how disgusting the smell is! 

The QuitTrain was also an unexpected great surprise. This isn´t just another quit smoking forum, but a family. I´ve made great friends and I know I´m never lonely anymore. 

Finally, where it all started. I definitely sleep better now! 

Love my smoke free life! 

-Nat

happy%2Bsmoke%2Bfree.gif

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

There are so many things that have improved since I quit smoking - I didn't realise it at the time, but smoker action was a selfish jerk! Smoking, or planning my next smoke was always the most important thing there was... Now I spend more time thinking about important things like my family, my career and my well being. I honestly just didn't think life could Beas good as it is now.

Oh, and I saved a butt-load of cash, too!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I discovered I had much more energy. I started exercising and I’ve lost 8 kilo since I’d quit. I’ve become better to work according to the plan and I don’t give new things up so easily. Still having confidence issues but depressive episodes are much shorter now. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Nice thread, so bumpbump. 

Only in for 5+ weeks, but one fast and very unexpected benefit for me is the way my mental well being is catching up with my physical vitality.

For the past 5 weeks I've been reading and writing and walking and learning new things  (like practising giqong,  eating with chopsticks, replacing cigarets for just a few minutes of self investigation when I had an urge). Apparantly I really am making new pathways up there! 

My biggest concern when I quit was about panick attacks/dissociation and depression. I truly feared these and can honestly say they worried me much more than any physical illness smoking would give me. Have had to battle them all my life and I know how close to complete misery  they have brought me before and I just was. Not. Going. To. Go. There. Anymore. Not after everything I've done to learn to deal with them.  

And here I am. Almost six weeks in. Had my moments of anxiety and I'm sure they will come again.  I'ts just nowhere near what I expected, it ACTUALLY got better! Whoah!!  

Edited by My life, my recovery
  • Like 5

It's often the case that the anticipation of what "might happen" is worse than what actually does happen after we quit.

It's not unusual to be surprised, and pleased, when this happens :) Understanding the addiction and focusing on the benefits you start seeing rather than the misery of early quit days helps a lot! 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, My life, my recovery said:

Nice thread, so bumpbump. 

Only in for 5+ weeks, but one fast and very unexpected benefit for me is the way my mental well being is catching up with my physical vitality.

For the past 5 weeks I've been reading and writing and walking and learning new things  (like practising giqong,  eating with chopsticks, replacing cigarets for just a few minutes of self investigation when I had an urge). Apparantly I really am making new pathways up there! 

My biggest concern when I quit was about panick attacks/dissociation and depression. I truly feared these and can honestly say they worried me much more than any physical illness smoking would give me. Have had to battle them all my life and I know how close to complete misery  they have brought me before and I just was. Not. Going. To. Go. There. Anymore. Not after everything I've done to learn to deal with them.  

And here I am. Almost six weeks in. Had my moments of anxiety and I'm sure they will come again.  I'ts just nowhere near what I expected, it ACTUALLY got better! Whoah!!  

It gets better and better, at around 6 months i had taken some photos and posted on facebook like everyone does and i noticed how younger and how smooth my skin looked. Amazing, you will have many more unexpected benefits.... Enjoy them all!!

• Like 4

I am early on of course. But the rewards this quit have been NOTHING short of amazing !  No clue why this time and not the other times i tried...its so awesome

The extra time, the not stinking, the not freaking planning my day around smoking. The ease, the confidence, the savings...of health and money...the list goes on and on....I am just so damn happy !!!!!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Parsley said:

I am just so damn happy !!!!!

I've always loved my quit!! Keep that with you; even when nothing else is going right, you can find happiness and motivation there.

Confidence is the #1. I thought I had it before but I've learned I used smoking as a way to remain antisocial and unapproachable. (I guess holding on to that 15yr old tough girl attitude)Now, I have no problem taking the middle seat at the dr office or standing close to the other moms at the book fair.

#2 Happiness. Truly being happy for myself was foreign before my quit. I had to light a cigarette to tell me to be happy. Never again.

#3 There is a new closeness in my family because we aren't missing moments for cigarettes. I learned how to ask for help. 

I could write a book. I love the new non-smoking me!

• Like 6

Amen! I didn't love the first 20 days. But ditto the rest.

I guess I thought in the earlier quits...that I had to suffer, be miserable, feel slighted, annoyed, pissed, sad on and on.....crap out and buy cigs and give up. Repeat.

But I stayed here after last failure over a year ago and here I am...a happy quitter....first couple weeks not awesome. I am not Mary Poppins.....but here I am....loving my quit!!!

Sooooo....never give up quitting..

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The circulation around my ankles was noticeable... Very early in my quit...almost instant...the heavy dull ache/pain had subsided.heaps...

I still get blown away when I another benieft moment...

Simple thing,s...taking a big deep smell of the aroma of my brother,s beautiful rose,s.....my nose was dead....

• Like 3

I am early on of course. But the rewards this quit have been NOTHING short of amazing !  No clue why this time and not the other times i tried...its so awesome

The extra time, the not stinking, the not freaking planning my day around smoking. The ease, the confidence, the savings...of health and money...the list goes on and on....I am just so damn happy !!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Just not having to worry about the whole damn smoking routine and everything that's connected to it. Smoking ran my entire day to day life. Now, it's just not part of my life at all. In fact, it's hard for me to imagine myself as a smoker now. That's a good thing :) 

• Like 3

My life has changed in so many ways ....

I was in constant state of worry.....

Have I got enough smokes ....

Is there anywhere to smoke ...

It totally ruled my life ....

Will I die a smoker...it goes on and on ....

I just carnt picture me puffing on a ciggy now.... I would be physically ill....

And there says ..A 52 year smoker ... unbelievable...!!!

• Like 2

I have gained a lot of knowledge in the neuroscience field.

I am way more talkative (which is a good thing in my case)

My house is clean because I don't use my "need a smoke break" as distraction

Less distraction in general

Less air and environmental polution! 

• Like 3