9 hours ago, sgt.barney said:

Take some damned personal responsibility , folks. 

We knew what we were doing. 

We voluntarily chose this road. 

We were warned by many along the way of the dangers.
From parents, to schools, to doctors, to friends, to PSAs on TV, to 11:00 evening news stories.

Hell, the packaging itself has warned us since 1965(In the US) FFS.  

We made an informed choice. 

We chose to ignore the warnings. 

Once started, we could have chosen at any time to stop (just as you are doing now). 

We chose to wait. 

We chose to continue smoking. 

EZPZ

Please don't tell me to take personal responsibility. You do not know what I do. But the tobacco companies have more blood on their hands than I do. I only hurt myself. They hurt millions. I take no responsibility for what they have done. You are confusing the two.

8 hours ago, brand.new.ela said:

Exactly. It was us and only us. All the information has been available to us and we continued smoking. Hard drugs are illegal and people still use and abuse them, and manage to purchase them, and you can't make meth more illegal. This kind of talk is turning the attention from what can be done and that's better education, because current methods don't seem to be working.

I completely disagree. And many experts disagree also. Perhaps you could research what some other countries have done which has shown success. And making something illegal like arsenic worked! Arsenic was a leading cause of death at one point and now it isn't. I do think most smokers would tire of going to the drug dealer for their cigarettes. They would tire of hiding it from the cops etc. They would be more concerned about what harmful might be in the tobacco (unregulated) etc. This argument is a little tired. I've heard it before and it never made sense. It seems similar to other arguments I hear that are inflexible and circular.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Giveintowin said:

I completely disagree. And many experts disagree also. Perhaps you could research what some other countries have done which has shown success. And making something illegal like arsenic worked! Arsenic was a leading cause of death at one point and now it isn't. I do think most smokers would tire of going to the drug dealer for their cigarettes. They would tire of hiding it from the cops etc. They would be more concerned about what harmful might be in the tobacco (unregulated) etc. This argument is a little tired. I've heard it before and it never made sense. It seems similar to other arguments I hear that are inflexible and circular.

People continue on smoking in spite of constant price increases. There are people who buy cigarettes instead of food. There are people who search for butts in public garbage bins. They would go to their dealer no matter what and if their stash is clean or not would be the last thing on their mind. Same as now, when junkies crave drugs they get it, clean or dirty. Yes, some smokers would stop, same as nowadays some quit when cigarettes become more expensive. There’s always a margin. 

I believe we are disagreeing because you’re talking pure theory. Let’s assume cigarettes become illegal. There are going to be millions people craving and in that state they’ll be unpredictable. Did you consider the riots and deaths? The money coming to the state budget, no schools, roads, hospitals. When I hear arguments like yours I can’t help but think about panels when people discuss how war is bad, conclude it’s bad and go home happy with how engaged they are. Time and energy spent on that could have been spend on prevention or something that does work. 

Tobacco companies do sell harmful products. I don’t deny it and nobody denies it. Because of usage of that product many people lost their lives. However, they don’t lie. Information about illnesses caused by smoking, pictures of black lungs and warnings in forms of obituaries take more space on packages than the brand logo. They give us all on display and still people start and continue smoking. We did start and continue smoking. The first cigarette and the thousands afterwards were our decision, we knew what was it leading to. 

12 hours ago, Giveintowin said:

> Please don't tell me to take personal responsibility.

Sarge will tell anyone any damned thing he wants. 

He says what he wants, when he wants, and he means what he says. 

> You do not know what I do.

Sarge doesn't care one iota what you do. 

It is not important here. It is irrelevant. 

The only thing imortant is that you are a Nicotine Addict and that you CHOSE addiction. 

The rest is distraction, rationalization, avoidance, and excuse. 

>But the tobacco companies have more blood on their hands than I do

Failure to take full responsibility will ultimately lead to failure of your quit. 

You have a choice here. 

>  They hurt millions.

They hurt NOT ONE individual who didn't VOLUNTARILY, WILLINGLY, and OF THEIR OWN FREE WILL ... Choose to smoke. 

> You are confusing the two.

You ... have a lot to learn. 

EZPZ

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Giveintowin said:

Ben Franklin said it best ... in an altogether different and unrelated context ... but it quite aptly applies here. 

quote-those-who-sacrifice-essential-libe

I will fight for freedom of choice -  ANY CHOICE -  in any situation at any time. 

The answer is to make the right choices. Not restrict others' freedom to choose. 

EZPZ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Giveintowin I understand you've chosen a nice soapbox from which to preach your message.  You have to understand that not everyone agrees with you, and not get personally offended when we don't.

I very much agree with @sgt.barney in saying that it is the personal choice of every smoker to smoke, and their consequences to pay as a result of that choice.  The government (wherever you're from) should not intervene in telling the people what they should/should not do (while most governments think this is their cause for existence).

• Like 1

Early in my quit..I blamed the tobacco companies for all the illnesses smoking had brought to me and my hubby,who suffers from end stage emphysema...

I too thought ,how can they be allowed to kill all these folks....I thought the sarge was a crazy bloke..but....

Over 4 years down the line...learning all what i have about addiction and choices..hubby and myself did have a choice... And we did ignore the warnings...

Sarge is just bluntely speaking the truth....I still hate the companies.... That hasn't changed...I just stopped blaming others for my mistakes...

This just my opinion...

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

I thought the sarge was a crazy bloke..but...

Sarge  *is*, in fact,  a crazy bloke.  Very crazy, indeed. 

But that says nothing of his message. The message is righteous, valid, and just. Regardless of Sarge's sociopathic tendencies. 

Do not, under any circumstances, allow your government to infringe/impede your ability to make your choices in life, folks.  No matter where you live nor who governs. You will be forever sorry you did. 

EZPZ

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, sgt.barney said:

Sarge  *is*, in fact,  a crazy bloke.  Very crazy, indeed. 

But that says nothing of his message. The message is righteous, valid, and just. Regardless of Sarge's sociopathic tendencies. 

Do not, under any circumstances, allow your government to infringe/impede your ability to make your choices in life, folks.  No matter where you live nor who governs. You will be forever sorry you did. 

EZPZ

I think this would be equally valid if we changed some words:

Do not, under any circumstances, allow your government corporations and lobbyists to disproportionately influence laws that will kill or harm you

Think: thalidomide, DDT, lead paint, seat belts, Ford Pinto, subprime mortgage backed securities, Roundup herbicide, child labor, and yes, cigarettes.  Just as we shouldn't give government all the power to regulate our lives, nor should we let the corporations.  They have a pretty dismal track record when it comes to public safety versus the almighty buck.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sgt.barney said:

EZPZ

I come from the former East Block. I know how it is when the government knows better what’s good for you. Theoretic discussions are really laughable. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/3/2014 at 9:22 AM, Sazerac said:

Our Nancy asked me to post this from my blog to 'Quit Smoking Discussion'.  Thank you.

Lifetime of Addiction

I didn't want to hear this
but, I am now facing this truth.
Nicotine Addiction doesn't go away.

You can put it to sleep.
You can even put it into deep deep and deeper sleep for years !
but, it will awaken the moment you take one puff.

One Puff.

This is for your whole life.
Mind boggling, huh !?

This was the choice you likely didn't even know you were making
all those years ago when you started smoking,
I didn't understand the ramifications for sure.
But, it is the truth.

You will always need to be cognizant of your addiction
even when smoking is a vague memory,
because the moment you take a puff,
the moment you take One Bloomin' PUFF,
That's it !
It's all over and your enslavement will begin, again.

What tenacity !
but, you need to understand,
Nicotine is not as tenacious as You and Your Will.

You can quit. I know you can.
I quit and I am not a special snowflake,
I am a Nicotine Addict, just like you.

I have great resentment about my Nicotine Addiction.
Damn....I didn't know it would be so invasive.
I didn't know it was going to be a lifetime relationship.

I am so angry about this

and it is My Own Damn Fault !
But, my anger, it is a good anger.
It is a righteous anger.
It is an anger that will fuel my commitment to NOPE.
Not One Puff EVER.

Copping to the 'forever' part is a cold hard reality of the addiction.
At some point, I had to quit fooling myself and accept it.
It isn't just for today.
It must be forever.
If it isn't...I will continue to enslave myself.

Some feel their addiction is so strong they cannot quit,

This is wrong.
You have the power.
You always have the power to quit and you always have the power to stay quit.

Make the commitment to NOPE !

As our friend, Sarge, says, 'Easy Peasy'.
Easy ! not complicated !

This is not Rocket Science.

If you make that commitment to NOPE...you will not fail.

You Will Not Fail.

The simplicity of it !

The Beauty of it !

Not One Puff Ever.

Do it.

You won't regret it.

Love,

S

Bumping to get this thread back on point...the point being, addiction doesn't go away. 

We have changed our DNA. 

All we can do is put the addiction to sleep and never awaken it again.

So please, retain your vigilance.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Our Nancy asked me to post this from my blog to 'Quit Smoking Discussion'.  Thank you Nancy.

Lifetime of Addiction

I didn't want to hear this
but, I am now facing this truth.
Nicotine Addiction doesn't go away.

You can put it to sleep.
You can even put it into deep deep and deeper sleep for years !
but, it will awaken the moment you take one puff.

One Puff.

This is for your whole life.
Mind boggling, huh !?

This was the choice you likely didn't even know you were making
all those years ago when you started smoking,
I didn't understand the ramifications for sure.
But, it is the truth.

You will always need to be cognizant of your addiction
even when smoking is a vague memory,
because the moment you take a puff,
the moment you take One Bloomin' PUFF,
That's it !
It's all over and your enslavement will begin, again.

What tenacity !
but, you need to understand,
Nicotine is not as tenacious as You and Your Will.

You can quit. I know you can.
I quit and I am not a special snowflake,
I am a Nicotine Addict, just like you.

I have great resentment about my Nicotine Addiction.
Damn....I didn't know it would be so invasive.
I didn't know it was going to be a lifetime relationship.

I am so angry about this

and it is My Own Damn Fault !
But, my anger, it is a good anger.
It is a righteous anger.
It is an anger that will fuel my commitment to NOPE.
Not One Puff EVER.

Copping to the 'forever' part is a cold hard reality of the addiction.
At some point, I had to quit fooling myself and accept it.
It isn't just for today.
It must be forever.
If it isn't...I will continue to enslave myself.

Some feel their addiction is so strong they cannot quit,

This is wrong.
You have the power.
You always have the power to quit and you always have the power to stay quit.

Make the commitment to NOPE !

As our friend, Sarge, says, 'Easy Peasy'.
Easy ! not complicated !

This is not Rocket Science.

If you make that commitment to NOPE...you will not fail.

You Will Not Fail.

The simplicity of it !

The Beauty of it !

Not One Puff Ever.

Do it.

You won't regret it.

Love,

S

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...