Need advice about yoga

Chrysalis

I think it might be good for me to start doing yoga on a regular basis. For various reasons, I do not want to take a class so I have to teach myself.

What I want is to get my mind and body better connected and in better balance. I want to be more limber and physically stronger. I want my breathing to benefit every corner of my mind and my body and I want to stimulate the flow of blood and energy flow to every corner, too. And I want to dissipate stress and live more in the moment. 

So I think that I need to incorporate yoga philosophy and spirituality along with yogic breathing and physical exercises. Is that correct? 

The problem I'm having is that when I research yoga teaching (like via library books and DVDs or via online websites and YouTube videos) 95% of them are just teaching poses and exercises; no philosophy, spirituality or breathing. The other 5% teach the complete set of skills but they appear to want you to throw over your life and become a yogi (or so it seems). That's really not practicable. 

So those of you who have experience with yoga, have you found a way to combine spirituality, breath control and physical exercises? Do you, for example, meditate and breath for maybe 10 minutes and then do 30 minutes of exercises (asanas)? Or do you assume a pose and hold it while you focus on controlled breathing? How do you learn those aspects of yoga beyond the physical poses and exercises? Do you read books about yoga or something?

I would appreciate any advice you can give me. 

• Like 1

When I first started out I went on fitness tv here and recorded loads of them, most got dismissed as super fit, no life ego maniacs lol. A couple were really great, why not you tube some. I ended up favouring Mandy Ingbar (she trains jennifer anniston and she looks hot) but she says ass a lot and is a little on the "oh look at my lovely body and this is how I get this tight ass" yada yada.  However the moves are actually do able and you don't have to be a gymnast!

For the breathing and stuff I actually favour pilates. You'd think yoga wouldn't you, and for sure there is some, but pilates always seems to be what I call mindful breathing, they tell me exactly where and when to do it, I like that :)  I favour the "do more pilates" series with Niece and Bea somebody's or other. There are samples on youtube for sure as that's how I found them. Calm and realistic!

I don't neccersarily include any meditation with my exercise, I keep them seperate. I do like the breathing properly tho and I'm sure pilates has increased my strength and lung capacity.  I prefer the yoga combined with toning exercises as otherwise I just feel like I'm about to fall over all the time lol. 4 months in I do have the basic moves mastered. Be careful to follow instructions even if it takes longer to get it. x

• Like 2

Our Doreen has started Yoga recently... she might be able to help.

And I think that NayNay does some meditation sometimes too, so maybe she will be able to offer some insight.

Otherwise, I imagine that Marti is a good person to talk to ;)

• Like 1

Oh yes I'm new to yoga ....

This is my output.....we do have breathing excersizes before we begin....lying flat on the mat.....

We then do excersizes,but he only tells you to do what your body will allow.....no pushing your limits.....

Most of the time ,I can do non of it.....but I compromise.....it will come later I'm reassured......

We then have more breathing at the end.....

What ever little you can do is still helping ,and better than none.....

I've also been to proper meditation....that very relaxing.....

Maybe you should try qi gong.....I love this....and it's all about deep breathing.....just not so energetic.....

Hope you find your happy place.....

Hugs xx

• Like 3

Lol Bakon :)

Was it Nancy who posted eons ago about how to breath properly?  Sure I remember something somewhere?

Thought I heard my name....article below...found it here

Health And Yoga News Letters 

Learn breathing… the yoga way 

With the ever-increasing incidence of lifestyle diseases like cardio-vascular and nervous system disorders, the time has come for us to address this ourselves, fair and square WITHOUT external dependence. 

Did you know that reprogramming your natural breathing technique would not only help in preventing these problems but also help in the “reversal” of several such harmful conditions? Yes, it’s not only possible but proven too. In fact leading cardiac experts are advocating the benefits of “correct” breathing to their patients. 

Surprising as it is, almost none of us use the full capacity of our respiratory organs. This is aggravated by our sedentary lifestyles and leads to several complications popularly called - lifestyle disorders. 

The first question that comes to mind is – “How can I alter my natural breathing process?” Well, astonishing as it may seem, it’s true. By training our body to breathe in a particular fashion, we re-program our involuntary system to adopt this new way of breathing. 

This breathing technique is called the “Full Yogic breath” or simply Yoga breathing. 

Without wasting time, I’ll plunge right away into the technique followed by its overwhelming benefits. 

First, lie down on your back, relaxed, with hands and legs outstretched and eyes looking up at the roof. Gently close your eyes and relax. 

Step 1: Abdominal breathing 

Observe your natural breath. You will notice that as you inhale the abdomen rises and then falls with exhalation. Watch this for a few moments to check this flow. Now begin to deepen, lengthen and extend that movement. That is, while inhaling, let the abdomen rise to its limit and at exhalation let it fall completely. Keep the chest still during this entire process – only move the abdomen. Continue this for 20 breaths and then rest. 

Step 2: Thoracic (chest) breathing 

Again observe your normal breath, this time focusing your attention on the chest. You will notice the chest moving slightly up at inhalation and down with exhalation. Again observe this pattern for a few moments. Now again, begin to deepen, lengthen and extend that movement. This time, on inhalation expand and lift the rib cage, filling the lungs completely. Then on exhalation, let the lungs collapse fully, sinking to the limits. In this step, keep the abdomen still, moving only the chest. Do this for 20 breath cycles and then stop 

Step 3: Full Yogic breathing 

This combines the above 2 steps in the following way: 

First inhale by filling the abdomen and then CONTINUE inhaling as you expand and fill the chest. Then exhale first from the chest as it empties and falls and then CONTINUE exhaling from the abdomen as it draws inwards completely. This is one round of the full yogic breath. Repeat this for 20 rounds. 

Remember the pattern… Inhaling - abdomen then chest; Exhaling – chest then abdomen. 

GOLDEN RULE: All of the above steps should be done WITHOUT strain. The natural tendency is to heave with effort. The right way is to make it smooth and effortless. Go slow and easy. 

Initially you will experience unevenness or bumps in this breathing process – as if there are 4 separate parts to the full yogic breath. This is natural considering the years we have spent breathing improperly. 

Instead, try to picture this breath as a continuous wave like pattern – as if the breath moves up from the navel to the throat with every inhalation and then, down from the throat to the navel with each exhalation. It may take a few weeks of practice to perfect a “SMOOTH flowing pattern with MINIMUM effort and with MAXIMUM capacity.” 

This is the desired effect!! Over time, the yoga way of breathing will come naturally to you. 

And now for the all-important benefits… 

The full yogic breath is the basic building block of the powerful yoga breathing techniques, also called ‘Pranayama’ in Sanskrit, which are known for their multifarious benefits. 

But the tangible benefits of the full yogic breath are that it: 

Releases acute and chronic muscular tensions around the heart and digestive organs. 

Helps sufferers of respiratory illnesses such as asthma and emphysema to overcome the fear of shortness of breath. It actually increases lung capacity. 

Encourages proper nervous stimulus to the cardio-vascular system 

Dramatically reduces emotional and nervous anxiety 

Improves detoxification through increased exchange of carbon dioxide and oxygen 

Amplifies the auto immune system by increased distribution of energy to the endocrine system 

Calms the mind and integrates the mental / physical balance. 

And the real icing is that it contributes to both vitality and relaxation through this single practice. 

With such powerful all-round benefits, do you really need to be “motivated” to get going? 

Go ahead, and take charge of your life like never before. 

• Like 3

That's perfect, Nancy! Thank you!

That breathing exercise makes a lot of sense to me and the original article contains links to more info about breathing exercises. Very good.

After doing a lot of research I decided that Yin Yoga will be the best for me. It's new and rather rare so I ordered a book from Amazon. I also ordered a DVD on the nature of chakras and how to work that into your meditation. So between the breathing, the Yin Yoga exercises and the chakra meditation I think that will be enough to get me started. Thanks again!

Hy, Just wondered if your book or DVD turned up? I would be genuinely interested to hear how you found the chakra meditations and how you go about to actually do that? Wondering if it's like reiki or something else :) x

Hi, Marti-

The book is called: "The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga: The Philosophy and Practice of Yin Yoga" and the DVD is called: "Chakra Theory and Meditation" by Paul Grilley. I'm just starting them. Right now, I'm still in the chapters covering "What are chakras and why should I care?" (or words to that effect  :) ). As soon as I get into the actual meditations I'll let you know what it's like. 

I will say that, based on what I've watched and read so far, this is what I wanted-- a combination of positions (asanas) together with breathing and energy work. I'll keep you posted as to how it goes.

• Like 1

Hi guys I do Ashtanga yoga I my teacher is very spiritual and she does satsung classes which is meditating and spiritual guidance to find truth and let go of our egos.

I watch a lot of you tube videos on spirituality also eckart tolle is a great spiritual teacher and so is teale Scott her name was teal swan but she got married

Ashtanga yoga is a self practice yoga which is great. With breathing I found it hard to begin with just always remember you breath in if yr going up in a pose and out if yr going down. :-)

• Like 3

Body scans are also great if u research jon-kabat zin you can get a free body scan on you tube bloody fantastic I do it quite a lot and you are completely relaxed afterward i should of tried that at the weekend lol x

Thank, Laura! The Jon Kabat-Zinn mindfulness meditation on Youtube is great! ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKQAmtfra3k  ). I'm going to add it to the "Things To Do During Your First Nicotine-Free Week" thread because I think it will be very helpful to newbies.

One thing was funny, though. Jon Kabat-Zinn said right at the beginning of the session that one should lie down and relax but do NOT fall asleep. Ha! Fat chance! At least, when I listened to it at bed time it was so relaxing that there was no way I could stay awake. I have to sit in a chair early in the day to be able to get through the whole thing. Live and learn.  :)

Thank, Laura! The Jon Kabat-Zinn mindfulness meditation on Youtube is great! ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKQAmtfra3k ). I'm going to add it to the "Things To Do During Your First Nicotine-Free Week" thread because I think it will be very helpful to newbies.

One thing was funny, though. Jon Kabat-Zinn said right at the beginning of the session that one should lie down and relax but do NOT fall asleep. Ha! Fat chance! At least, when I listened to it at bed time it was so relaxing that there was no way I could stay awake. I have to sit in a chair early in the day to be able to get through the whole thing. Live and learn. :)

It is likely to begin with you will full asleep but it is more about falling awake, my advice is do not do the body scan where you normally sleep, I do it on a mat in my living room on the floor. You can also do it with your eyes open if you feel you will go to sleep. I have fell asleep a lot doing this so don't worry to much to begin with. :-)

• 2 months later...