Your First Days, nicotine Free

Sazerac

3 hours ago, Jacob said:

I’ve got 3 days.  This is what’s helped me the most:

God please help me, God please help me, God please help me, God please help me, God please help me.....

???

Also calling another recovering Nicotine addict is helping a lot.  Gummy Bears 

Welcome to the board, Jacob, and well done on 3 days.  Please post in Introductions and tell us more about you and your quit.

4 hours ago, Jacob said:

God please help me, God please help me, God please help me, God please help me, God please help me.....

???

Gummy Bears really do  help?

5 hours ago, Jacob said:

???

I did that towards the beginning. It really did help because then God responded, "Ha ha ha JB, we all know where YOU are headed after death" then I heard the sound of flames. Then he said, "You want to end up there sooner than you have to?"

I have not picked up a cigarette since my quit date.

EDIT - I do hear that hell is a smoking section in it's entirety so I am thinking I will definitely relapse after i die.

Edited by Jetblack
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Jacob said:

???

Hi and welcome Jacob...

On our main board...pinned with green squares ...is find of great info to get you up and running...

Yes ..please go to the introduction thread ,and get a proper welcome ,to this fabulous place..

We have a daily NOPE thread too..great way to start the day....

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So far, what's helped me is going for a walk, each time I have a craving, my craving is mostly at work, since that's where I smoked.

So I just go for a walk, and listen to some podcasts while I'm at it.

Has helped so far.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm still on the first day but so far-

hard candy

chewing gum

grape juice

ice water

As well as lots of reading here on the Qtrain. Those of you who post here may not realize it but you are literally life savers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

I walked past a favorite hoodie I'd hung on the back of a door this spring and instantly smelled cigarette smoke and it made my mouth water a bit. ?

So, The hoodie went into the wash along with my work uniform and favorite shirts for a second cleaning to make sure there is no lingering siren song of tobacco to lure me back in to big tobacco's legion of cash drones.

• Like 5

WOO-HOO!!  I've made it through the first 24 hours! ?  It may seem odd but I was very concerned about making it through this first day more than the days to come. It wasn't fun by any stretch of the imagination but it wasn't as brutal as I had feared,

Checking in here and reading all the advice and personal experiences helped immensely... Along with a lot of gum, hard candies,grape juice and deep breathing when the cravings got vicious.

I'm kind of looking forward to going to sleep tonight because that's like an 8 hour vacation from the battle and it gets me that much further along from the pull of that last cancer stick.

• Like 8

WOOT! I can hardly believe it, I've made it 5 full days without smoking!   ?

Having hard candies like Lifesavers, Werther's and Tootsie pops on hand hand definitely help a LOT!  Staying busy has been a big thing for me too. I washed my truck today even though it was raining lightly at the time just to have something to occupy myself. It really did help and I didn't think about smoking much at all during the process. I'm sure people driving by thought I was a raving lunatic though. 

Anyway, These things and the others I posted on day 1 have helped me get this far and 5 days ago I wasn't at all sure I would make it through the first 24 hours without caving into to my addiction.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this for newbies and lurkers.

This thread is full of things that helped us through the first days of a quit.

Quitting isn't impossible, far from it.  It is an important experience that frees you from nicotine addiction.

I bump this to let ya'll know that quitting is one of the greatest things you can do for yourself and the people and animals that love you.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This is thread was perfect for me today. I have 2 days !! It has been years since I have gone even a day without smoking - so I am celebrating. I had some very stressful news yesterday and believe me I thought "oh no.- not now " And then realized If I want this quit TRULY - no amount of stress is going to make me light up. Hard to accept that but necessary. And here I am dealing with it - SMOKE FREE and let's face it, I am not trying to get out of work to have a smoke or avoid it - I am taking it head on and smoke free. This is NOT EASY in anyway - but it is possible. 

• Like 7

Two days is absolutely amazing!  I hadn't gone even one full day without smoking for almost 2 decades before I quit, so I know well how every hour and day smoke free feels like (and is) a major accomplishment early on.  And good for you for not using stress as a reason to cave.  You're an all-star, HeatherD!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, HeatherDianne said:

no amount of stress is going to make me light up

You've overcome one of the most powerful triggers to lighting up again.

A similar thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago and thankfully I came through it as you did.

You've earned this:

image.png.be0ee94ea361697394dad839f357d6eb.png

• Like 6