Your First Days, nicotine Free

Sazerac

Garden! Grow something. Or at least pull some weeds.

I'm not quite 24 hours in here and I am flipping out. So right now, I am on my way outside to play with my cacti. Cacti like to give kisses and yes love hurts---- but it does reward you with some truly awesome flowers in the desert. Great time of year right now so I'm going to go outside and groove on some plants and flowers rather than thinking about cigarettes. Plus it is kind of hard to think about cigarettes when you're looking for the tweezers and magnifying glass to get little needles out of your fingers.

Let's see after an hour or two of yardwork I can do the dishes, the dog needs walked, the rugs need vacuumed, I can take a nap then I can do some real work for a few hours, then I can make dinner, then I can walk the dog again, then I can do 3 loads of laundry, then I can do some ironing and then I can....  

Gee....what on Earth am I going to do tomorrow? 

So what's everyone else doing the next few hours?

• Like 4

I'm working from home today as well as taking care of some house repair/maintenance stuff.

Good idea to keep busy during your early quit. Keep yourself occupied and not only will that help distract you; you'll have the cleanest & most organized house in the State by the time your 1st week is over :P

I know you're feeling completely miserable now, it's just part of the process. The intense misery won't last that long and once you are through it, you'll be well on your way to securing your quit :)

Come here often and let us know how you're doing.

Also be sure to keep focused on your reason for quitting. Keep that in the front of your mind as it will help you through this tough part. Reflect on how far you've come even if it's just a day or two. The early days are really hard work so you don't want to throw that all away or have to repeat it. I know these two things kept me moving forward in the early days.

• Like 1

Wow A ...that's a full days work...don't burn yourself out..

Pace yourself..

It's too cold here for garden work..so a few jobs in doors....

Right now...sitting and enjoying a relaxing cup of coffee...something you have to look forward to soon enough..

Wait till your taste buds wake up..it's like WOW !!!!

• Like 2

Hey guys,

Hugs to you all and hope you are all hanging in there! Be strong. Since it has been a beautiful day outside---sun shining and a bit breezy and warm, I made myself go outside and take the dog for a walk. Not sure about others but I'm finding just taking the time to enjoy the outside for a few minutes every day helps. Just to be in the sunshine, or take in some flowers or gaze at the sky for a few moments has been helping me. It has been giving me a sense of calmness and just a moment of peace where I can take a deep breath and inhale and say, "O.K. You got this. Just pull yourself together and make it through the next few minutes. You can do it. " 

If you haven't already then try spending some time outdoors. Go for a short walk.  Sit out back on your patio/stoop or whatever and enjoy a cup of coffee or soda. Stargaze tonight.    

• Like 4

Yup, that's the way to do it AG :) Distract yourself and deep breathing to calm those anxious moments we all feel early on in our quits. You're lucky you can get outside and enjoy nice weather. Was well into the minus temps and snowy when I quit so I just huddled up inside for awhile. I know one of the things I noticed and enjoyed first when I quit was how much easier and more comfortable my breathing was.

You're going about this exactly right too. Just deal with the here and now at first. Don't look too far down the road. day by day, hour by hour at first. You'll very soon be much more comfortable with this whole quitting thing :)

Enjoy your start gazing 2-night.

Sunsets are nice too when we get them :)

9ptmpy.jpg

• Like 3

I swim everyday and go out for walks in the park for 45 minutes.  I will stop somewhere nice for a coffee.  I'm 18 days in and still having the cravings, but then I have a very happy feeling - I feel proud of myself.  NOPE

• Like 4

I think you will be very pleased going forward CP1973 :) Yes, the craving will still be there but not always and not really even craves - more just thoughts of smoking with the occasional crave thrown in. I found that to be true with me anyway. We're all a little different in our experiences and timing but with us all, it just gets better the further you get into your quit. You're doing GREAT Claire!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Cannot have tobacco in the home. I just flushed the rest of it down the toilet :)

Cannot be around smokers, not because the smell repluses me, but because I like it & I want one...I need all the help I can get!!

• Like 2

Cannot have tobacco in the home. I just flushed the rest of it down the toilet :)

Cannot be around smokers, not because the smell repluses me, but because I like it & I want one...I need all the help I can get!!

Do what you need to so you are not tempted to smoke, especially during the early part of your quit. After your sniffer comes back to normal, you will be able to smell smoke a long way away. Also, you'll be amazed at how stinky people who smoke really are to non smokers. I think you will actually like that part. We call what you are feeling "romancing the cigarette". You remember all the really good one's you smoked. You know, first one in the morning, after a meal, after going without one in a movie or on a flight. Those ones. Not all the ones that you smoked just to feed the addiction. You know, all those ones every day about every 1/2 hour or so? Once you are addicted, you are only feeding that addiction. All those smokes do nothing to help you or fix anything in your life. It's just shortening your life.

• Like 2

I busted this morning & had only one cigarette. It made me feel sooo dizzy!! Confirmed just how powerful this stuff is that i am putting into body!

I felt rotten for having one. I dont want this to happen again. I have not had one since...I don't want to...I want success this time.

The weather is lousy today. Cold windy rainy and will be tomorrow too. So I've cozied myself up in my unit for a couple of days and pampering myself. Burning in my little vapouriser, pure lavender oil. Doing 'dry skin brushing' and drinking fresh ginger teas, lots of water...all helps to detox & get rid of nicotine. Also using my circulation booster. Lots of gum too. I can feel the pangs of withdrawal

• Like 2

Day 1 not smoking for me: My plan for the day - work, finish scrubbing some wallpaper off my walls, cleaning, nap if possible (probably not!), draw, and go for a walk. I love Allan Carr's book, but it seems like he does not want us to replace anything with smoking.. I will obviously have to do things... that is the part I guess I don't understand fully. 

Sounds like a solid day 1 plan. If I'm interpreting AC correctly, I think he's just cautioning against replacing one addiction for another even if it's a much less harmful one, like (regular) gum or candy. I take it as him just encouraging you to get on with life and enjoy your freedom. Congrats on your quit- can't think of a better decision you could have made. KTQ!

• Like 2

I just wanted to say that I am really, really happy that I made the decision to quit smoking. This post would probably be better in the prerespond to your own SOS, but I'm posting it here instead. I have not been smoke free for long, but I am just excited that I made this commitment. It's one of the biggest - best - things I can do for myself. I'm also hoping I can get out some good cries the next few days too :)

• Like 2

Oh, I'm sure you'll be able to get those out Holly. The emotional roller coaster ride will be with you for a bit yet but the good part is that the further into your quit you get, the easier things will start to get. Keep that positive attitude because this is indeed the best thing you could possibly do for yourself. And, you will be very proud of this accomplishment too!!

• Like 2

I just wanted to say that I am really, really happy that I made the decision to quit smoking. This post would probably be better in the prerespond to your own SOS, but I'm posting it here instead. I have not been smoke free for long, but I am just excited that I made this commitment. It's one of the biggest - best - things I can do for myself. I'm also hoping I can get out some good cries the next few days too :)

Brilliant...it is the most rewarding thing you can do ...Freedom !!!!!

I still get a huge feeling of achievement about all this time...you will too...

• Like 1

Back to day 1. I needed to make that 100% commitment to myself, whereas before I don't think I really believed it. I have many things to keep me busy today, so I am happy about that. No more smoking for me, ever. ☺

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, Oldybutmouldy said:

Reading, reading, drinking coffee, reading, sleeping, reading, drinking coffee, and deep breathing.  :13_upside_down:

Yes, that's the way to do it OBM! Read all you can in the pinned threads on the Quit Smoking Discussion Page and watch the Joel videos that cover a wide range of topics related to quitting. Education about how this addiction works and why it does nothing good for you is a key to quitting! By the way ..... welcome to our family of quitters :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve got 3 days.  This is what’s helped me the most:

God please help me, God please help me, God please help me, God please help me, God please help me.....

???

Also calling another recovering Nicotine addict is helping a lot.  Gummy Bears 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1