A Message from your Body

Nancy

I found this online, here.

A message from your body. (Repost)  
By tahoehal  on November 03 2007 at 4:39 pm 

Insert your own name .........
and days of being smoke free x.

Dear ..........

It has been x days since you have quit smoking. You probably don't recognize me since you have been real busy for about x years. 
I am your body and I wanted to have a conversation with you.
There are some things I need to tell you and share with you. 
You may need them now that you are recovering and I for the first time can express them.

I am your lungs, your heart, your eyes, your liver, your blood, your skin and your mind.
For x years, ......., you have been smoking and I have been unable to talk to you. 
It's not that there were times when I did not try, because I did.
I sent you all sorts of signals to let you know I wanted to talk to you and you were not able to hear me. 
You passed it off as a morning cough or dizziness and whatever you were doing for all those years was too strong for me to fight.
I have been waiting for this conversation with you for years.

I must first tell you that we don't miss the smoke you filled us with.
There were days when you were out, having a good time in the summer sun and I was too.
I like the warm air and I even like the sun. But, ........, even on those wonderful days you would take the time to fill my lungs with smoke, my blood with carbon monoxide and my brain with nicotine. 
Every time I thought things were getting better and I was ready to talk to you there would be a burst of all these chemicals and I had to spend all of my energy, and YOUR energy, ......., on trying to keep you alive.

I think you get the point now and I don't want to sound critical although I may have come off that way. 
What I really need to tell you is that for the past x days I have been working hard with the rest of your body ,to heal from a lot of years of neglect.
I guess I want to say THANK YOU. 
Thank you, ......., for having the courage and the strength to quit smoking.
If you have ever done anything right for me, by not smoking you have given me a new life. 
I need to tell you that it will take time for me to heal. You know how long you smoked, ........ It will take a bit of time to work with the lungs and the brain and the heart but IT WILL HAPPEN. Every cell in your body congratulates you... ....

I need to warn you about something.
One of the drugs that the brain thought it liked was Nicotine. 
That's a bad drug. 
It fooled me into thinking that I needed it.
I never picked up a cigarette in my life and you made me addicted to Nicotine. 
Hey, I know it was not your fault! But there will be some difficulty the next few days and months. I, too, became addicted to that drug and it will take some time before I get rid of that. 
But I have a promise that I want to give you now that I can talk to you. 
If you promise to not smoke and to give this your very best shot, and I know how hard it is for you, I will reward you with more than great health, ........... 
And in time you will not only feel better but I will give you something that you thought you lost a long time ago.
Remember your self-esteem and your image?
Well I know who you are and I want you to know that I LOVE YOU. 
In time you will feel better and be so proud of what you accomplished-This I promise you.

By the way!
In this process of getting better we will be doing a lot of work inside.
So please feed me and water me like you would if you were taking care of a beautiful Rose.
It's time that you started to look after yourself with love, understanding and compassion as well; we like that too.
Everything you give to me during this process I will reward you with tenfold. 

I believe in you, .......
I AM YOU. 
I KNOW you can do this. 
I don't want to have to wait another x years to have this conversation with you. 
Know that I love you and know that it is unconditional. 
It seem at times like I am working against you but know that I am working with you, .........., to heal US.

Just for Today, ......., please do not smoke. Thank you for listening to me. 
I love you!

Sincerely,

Your lungs, heart, liver, blood, mind and skin and every living cell in you. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

• 4 years later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Here's something from our friend, Joel Spitzer,

A Postcard From a Smokers Cilia* 

Miss you, wish I were there.

Just a little cilia message from Joel.

*In case you don't know what cilia are, they are little hairlike projections that line your respiratory tract.

The sweep over 600 times a minute, trying to clean out foreign material and particulate matters inhaled into the lungs.

Things like dust, bacteria, viruses, etc. Cilia works generally well in all people, except cigarette smokers.

The day you take your first puff, you slow them down. Smoke longer and longer, you will eventually paralyze them.

Smoke long enough, cilia are destroyed.

The good news is of you stop smoking, usually within three days cilia start to regenerate.

Many smokers will actually increase coughing when first quitting. This is partially due to the cilia restarting the cleansing process.

The more you cough up then, the cleaner your lungs will become, the better you will breathe the rest of your life.

Usually within 6 months cilia will totally regenerate.

One thing to keep in mind though,

if a heavy smoker with destroyed cilia were to try to stop smoking but continue to smoke the equivalent of one cigarette a day,

destroyed cilia will not be able to regenerate.

More reasons to Never Take Another Puff!

Resources on Cilia