No Man's Land

Sazerac

NML feels sucky but is a really crucial part of the quit.  It actually feels like month 3 was probably the "cement it in"month, all those rinse and repeat thoughts are your junkie DYING off, although I appreciate it feel different.  It's not though and take it from one who trudged wearily too, it is your junkie brain in a go big or go home call back...do not listen!!  Message people, post tripe, hit up the swear thread, stay in touch here and we can keep your sparkle alive.

I always tried to remember two things. 1. After a hard day, an easy, or even a few easy days would come. 2.That a lot of people struggled in this time frame, but had later happy quits so it has to end right!

I promise you it's worth it. And keep reality about you, it's just thoughts, nothing like the early days, just lots of thoughts. How many dumb things have we done by thinking about them...probably loads :)  Don't let the thoughts take hold is all.

x

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I don't really believe in 'self fulfilling prophecies'

especially in regards to 'no man's land'.

Some folks hit a bump in the road after the shine of the quit has worn off.

They are not alone.

N O P E   N O P E  N O P E  and NOPE.

• Like 1

Another pot hole on the freedom road.  

Stay focused and remain committed.

The transition between smoking and not smoking can sometimes require saying

goodbye, at least temporarily, to our smoking buddies.

Feelings of isolation and loneliness can happen.  

Recognize it if and when it happens and make sure you have the friends you need near at hand.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Great post and very interesting....another post coming at a time when needed. No Man's Land....I can say for sure been there or still there or Post Acute Withdraw..which ever freakin one you want to call it. Hit me a month or so ago. Depression anxiety ..all that crap but not as bad as the first time around when I first quit. I don't know how the brain works or when it just says hey guess what I am going to freak out for a while get you back on the right path then leave you alone so you can get shit straight again. I know one thing for sure I am much better and does it really ever go away. I really don't think so it's just another thing in life you learn to deal with over time and before you know it your not thinking junkie thinking. All I know for sure is that one day I think you just have had enough and it's time to move on and your brain says okay your right now lets get on with it. I don't know what happened to me but rest assure I will never forget it or get over confident again. I really do think it's the brain playing tricks doing a last ditch effort to get you to light up again. I read articles where ppl have this the rest of their lives. Well if thats the case then so be it. Just flare ups once and a while for a month or so then they go away. I came to the choice of hey why not. I have many other things to deal with in life what's one more. I will admit it can be very stressful at times but I have learned to accept it as a friend coming. You can't deny it so accept it and just say.."hey your back again,how long you going stick around this time"? Out smart yourself takes a bit of practice , which I am still working on but it helps. Anyway keep the quit..YOU CAN DO IT 

Edited by stzr500
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 9/17/2014 at 5:16 AM, Sazerac said:
Did you experience No Man's Land ? 

How far along in your Quit were you ?

How did it feel ?

How long did  it last ?

What tools helped you through ?

What did you learn ?

Yes, around the 4-5 month mark. I had mentioned to my family of smokers that it was my quitiversary and my sister responded, "We knowwww you tell us all the time." 

Shot to the heart. I was confused that they had already stopped supporting me. But, now I understand that it's their own addiction that keeps them from being happy for me.

What helped was being a part of a community of quitters that would celebrate with me because they truly understood! Refreshing!

I went thru alot of personal stuff early in my quit. Stuff that could have broke a weak person, but during that time I learned that I'm strong.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

(bump)

During the first year of your quit, 

prepare yourself with distractions, pleasures and rewards 

for any craves/triggers that seem to come out of nowhere.  

Do not let them catch you unawares or find you cocky and careless.

It takes vigilance to deal with nicotine addiction, no kidding.

You really have to be on point, specially the first year.

However, it isn't all 'fight or flight'.

There will be days/weeks/months of just living free

and then some folks will have a doozie of a trigger.

I had a big gnarly one at 10 months.  I came here and received incredible support. 

I wasn't going to smoke and thankfully, it passed. It was the last serious hurdle for me.

Remember, you are stronger and smarter than any trigger/crave

and this is another opportunity to really reward yourself.

Do not be shy with rewards !

They are an important part of the process.

Put the word, 'Lavish', to the forefront of your vocabulary.

The Significance of Rewards

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 9/17/2014 at 5:16 AM, Sazerac said:
Hello QTrain, 

I was looking last night for information on No Man's Land to help someone,  
I wasn't clear on when this happens for some people and thought tosome anecdotal evidence might be useful.
Please, those of you who had this experience, would you add questions and answer away ?
Did you experience No Man's Land ? 
How far along in your Quit were you ?
How did it feel ?
How long did  it last ?
What tools helped you through ?
What did you learn ?

7/31/19
I have since learned that once the bright and shiny has worn off a quit,
when quitting it is no longer a minute by minute concern, smokey thoughts can rumble up in a powerful way. 
This can happen anytime, of course but, they may take us by surprise when we are feeling confident and complacent in our quit.
We are dealing with addiction.  Vigilance must be maintained.  Protect your quit.

bump

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...