Susana, Amy...this one is for you and please listen

Ladybug

I almost wished I wouldn't have snooped at the Quittrain today in the morning, but I did and read about your relapse Susana and you have been on my mind ever since. So are you Amy! I asked myself “is there anything I can do” to make you stop smoking and even though I am not sure, I feel like I have to tell you (all) something and so I will.

Listen to me Susana and Amy (all women)  just for this one time…listen to my story and decide for yourself.

As you all know, I was a longtime smoker…35 years, my whole adult life I smoked and I wasn't one of the guilt stricken ones. No, I was a happy smoker; I enjoyed it, but of course I knew about the damages it could cost. 

Lung cancer, emphysema, COPD and so much more…we all heard about it over the years and still smoked. Didn’t we? Well , there is more to it than just that, something that hardly gets any awareness. Autoimmune disorders like MS, Celiac disease, Lupus and Rheumatoid arthritis are related to smoking as well. Lots of studies show that, especially in Europe.  All of these diseases incurable~!

I was always healthy all my life. I had a bad car accident and a few colds and the flue now and then, but nothing dramatic. 3 months into my quit I started to feel different, but didn't really could put my finger on it. My hands and fingers were hurting “oh well, I worked too much and too hard. I need to stop that, I am not a spring chicken anymore" that’s what I thought and so I slowed down –had too, I was hurting. A few weeks later my elbows hurt and then my knees and feet “oh well, I run too much, I need to slow down” that’s what I thought then. It continued for weeks, the pain got worse. It was everywhere, in all my joints…it woke me up at night. I couldn’t go down the stairs as I normally did. No, I had to go one step after another…like an old Lady. It was time to see a doctor, something was wrong and so I did. I was in pain 24/7.

Test and more tests, blood work and more blood work. Result: Rheumatoid arthritis, an immune disorder. Bummer! So, my immune system decided to attack my body and my joints and there is no known cure for it -yet.  I started to research and didn't like what I found. No known cause,  no known cure…Bummer (again). The doctor put me on steroids (something that I never have taken before) and so I took it. Good Lord have mercy! The pain went away but I felt weird, miserable and not myself. Long list of side effects and I didn't like it. I didn't want to take this stuff… but it helped. I researched some more. My husband was scared out of his mind, even though he didn’t talk about it, I could tell in his eyes. He was worried and so was I. I started to research outside the US, went to Europe and Asia for answers and what I found was mind-blowing. Smoking or not smoking is related to auto immune disorder, they just don’t know how and why.  A university in Scandinavia had some interesting studies…I wanted to know more and contacted them. They answered and the communication went back and forth. The immune disorders and diseases affects women more than men. Mostly women over 40-50 and mostly ex-smokers. Bummer! It takes 10 years after you quit smoking to be on the "safe side".

I had a pity party (well deserved so I decided) and asked myself, if smoking would make all of this go away, should I smoke? What if I would smoke? Would it mask the disease? Would it help? I seriously thought about it and almost cried; I didn't want to smoke anymore…but the  “what if” was on my mind. I decided against smoking!

There is medication for Rheumatoid arthritis, even though it won’t cure it; it might bring the symptoms to a “halt”. I got all the prescriptions and read the side effects. A long list, longer then my arm (and I have long arms).  NO way would I take this, if I don’t have to. More steroids…”Nope, don’t want those either”. I researched more and more. Food was obviously related to these diseases. Movies like “fat, sick and almost dying”  were an eye-opener. I got more into it. Menopause, longtime smoker, female…I fit into every category. Bummer!

I got lucky and was able to get into contact with a lot of people with auto immune disorders and they all are off the meds and pain and symptom free since years.

To achieve that, they gave up a lot, more than just one cigarette. It is a drastic life style change. No more dairy products (my middle name is cheese), no caffeine, no processed food, no sugar, no grains or wheat, no red meat..a long list of  stuff that was a “No No”.

I juiced vegetables and fruits for 20 days and let me tell you, I was hungry all the time…so it seemed.  Surprisingly (or not) all the symptoms, the pain, everything went away (and some weight as well). Food was indeed the answer, not just in my case. I went back for blood work without telling them what I did. The Rheumatoid factor was way down and the rest of my blood work was outstanding….go figure I ate like a rabit dahhhh. I gave them the unfilled prescription back and told them what I did. Of course, they disapproved then, but the tests showed otherwise and still do.

I love food and I love to cook, but now food (at least some of it) is my enemy. I am the 3rd month on my “new life style” and I feel great. Energy out of the roof and people asked me if I got a face lift (WTF did I look old before?).  I cheated once and had a cheese sandwich…never again! Now I look at food and know that some of it is my enemy. I still enjoy cooking for my husband (why should he suffer) and I actually enjoy it. I am so lucky that I love vegetables, fruits and fish.

There are times when I feel so sorry for myself. No dairy product hurts the most. No sweets, no caffeine, no steak or other stuff that I ate all my life…it hurts occasionally.

BUT the truth is, I might have done this all to myself. Action and consequences…alright then! My smoking might have been one of the reasons that I have to deal with that crap in the first place. So for 50 years I could have everything I wanted for the next 50 I might have to live differently..oh well.

So, Susana and Amy…you don’t want to be in my shoes in a few years (I don’t wish this to my worst enemy).

You have it in you all of you! Stop  smoking now…you don’t want to pay the price your weakness might cost you one day. Believe me, you don’t…it’s no pick nick. Lucky for me grapes are fruits, and wine is made out of grapes…I don’t react to it at all J

I am fine and feel like a Million Dollars, no pain at all, no discomfort in any form and way...and most importantly...NO Medications with side effects like cancer. BUT…a lot of discipline on the food part…giving up smoking was easy compared to that. I know there are worst diseases out there and I feel blessed that I only have to deal with something, that just requires will power and a shitload of discipline. But, I do wish I would have never smoked…at all!

And yes, I know, people who never smoked get sick too, but people who smoked will get sick more likely!

So with all due respect…go and look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself if you are willing to pay the ultimate price one day and if the cigarette in your hand is worth it. And if you think that's alright…go ahead and continue smoking...and if you don’t …well, stay here and stay quit for Heaven’s sake!

What more do you want:

The Sarge: told by doctor he would die young

Doreen: Almost lost her feet

Comrade Simba: Heart attack

Ladybug: Auto immune disorder

Seriously...think about the rest of your life...NOW

• Like 11

Yep I'm sure 20 odd years of smoking caused my fibromyalgia, thoracic outlet syndrome, irritible bowel syndrome, myofascial pain syndrome, thank you smoking for giving me a parting gift of lots of wonderful syndromes but it still could be even worse if I continued.

That's my next step Bug to drastically change my diet, just dreading it, especially no caffeine but no one to blame but myself x

• Like 3

Oh, gosh, I´m so sorry to read this... and that you have to go through such an ordeal. I´m also very proud of you for taking the driving seat and investigate about it and fight it with all your weapons, including those not even confirmed by the doctors. You are a brave woman. You are fighting and winning. Well done!

I will be your guinea pig. I may have it too. Early days yet. But all this year I have been having problems with my right thumb and mi rigth middle finger to the point that i couldn´t write or sign for months. In the last week I have done a lot of hand-writing and this morning I´ve been working in the garden (I couldn´t hold the pruning scissors two weeks ago) it seems to come and go for me but I didn´t really thought about it (ageing, I thought). If it comes back when I quit I will let you know. I haven´t kept an eye before, but I will now.

Still, would I smoke to get rid of the pain? Nope. I would put up with the pain in exchange for freedom.  I don´t want to quit for health reasons. My main reason to want to quit is that I hate smoking. The addiction. The fact that my life is controlled by a stupid addiction.

I think the lesson here is not so much for us. We may or may not be already doomed. The lesson, and the example, is for the youngsters. Our sons and nephews and the sons of our friends: DO NOT START SMOKING!. Oh, how I wish I hadn´t started 20 odd years ago!  It may be too late for us, but it is not too late for them.

Freedom. :dash2: