What's For Dinner: Part 2

Leanna

G’day

I built a 14 inch Weber clone back in the day before weber bought out the 14 in WSM so I’ve got a soft spot for the WSM as a smoker. 
Smoker wise I’ve got a char griller Akorn junior.  Lots of fun learning a kamado but well worth it loving lump charcoal. 
I like my pork ribs but they are getting a bit trendy here and they like to charge for them. So I’m getting a run of pork shoulder chops bone in. They still have the inter muscular fats and connective tissue that so important for low and slow cooking with heaps of meat. Simple garlic onion pepper as a rub. Usually finish them off with water honey butter and cracked pepper. Pic attached is a tomato based sauce. Grated onion,crushed tomato,splash whistshire,splash low salt soy, crushed garlic, splash apple vinegar, smoked paprika, and black and white pepper. Worked well 

IMG_0313.png

• Like 5

Next weekend we are going to join some friends for a Lord of the Rings movie marathon. Love the books… and love shouting, “Departure from the text!!” at the screen.

Anyhow, we decided to learn to bake Lembas (elvish waybread) for the occasion. Did a practice run today. Not bad!

IMG_0149 Medium.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Zucchini lasagna……

layers of left over spag bol sauce.

grilled zucchini

cream cheese and a beaten egg 

sliced mushrooms

grated cheese and Parmesan cheese

bake med oven covered 1/2 hour 1/2 hour uncovered to brown the cheese on top

IMG_0456.png

IMG_0457.png

• Like 2

Gday 

My grills a Weber Q family. It’s a hooded grill so with the lid down it’s effectively an oven. Lay down a couple of layers of aluminium foil and you deflect the direct heat. A trivet … a rack on that just like an oven has. You can cook in a pan like I’ve done. Just like on oven I cover the lasagna with foil for 1/2 the cooking time then remove it to brown the top. 
It has a temperature gauge and you set the gas to obtain the temperature rather than set the temperature dial on an oven and hope it’s correct. A check of the food with a temperature prob thermometer will tell you when it’s done. Lots more accurate than just going by a recipes time. 

It’s perfect for the summer heat in Brisbane. Prep in the kitchen step out on the back  covered verandah and cook in the cool of the evening. 
No need to heat up the kitchen in the middle of a Queensland summer!

14 hours ago, Cbdave said:

Gday 

My grills a Weber Q family. It’s a hooded grill so with the lid down it’s effectively an oven. Lay down a couple of layers of aluminium foil and you deflect the direct heat. A trivet … a rack on that just like an oven has. You can cook in a pan like I’ve done. Just like on oven I cover the lasagna with foil for 1/2 the cooking time then remove it to brown the top. 
It has a temperature gauge and you set the gas to obtain the temperature rather than set the temperature dial on an oven and hope it’s correct. A check of the food with a temperature prob thermometer will tell you when it’s done. Lots more accurate than just going by a recipes time. 

It’s perfect for the summer heat in Brisbane. Prep in the kitchen step out on the back  covered verandah and cook in the cool of the evening. 
No need to heat up the kitchen in the middle of a Queensland summer!

Thanks, I'm gonna have to try that when summer arrives here in the States.