What's For Dinner: Part 2

Leanna

Leanna, Shredded basil leaves (or dried) go really great sprinkled across tomato and cucumber, I always add them when I do a greek salad :)  And sage, but I add sage to everything on the sly as it's a great healing herb! 

Also if anyone like me finds parsley a bit "too much" I've found corianderis a fab substitute.

I'm doing the english classic shepherds pie tonight but it's still cooking :)  Was supposed to be with brocolie but it's gone off :( Receipe in case of interest?

Beef mince

bovril or other beef extract

gravy granules

carrots

peas

onion

Brown lean beef mince and dump in oven proof bowl.

Put in slow cooker or oven proof dish

Cover well with gravy and add a teaspoon of beef extract 

Sling in some carrots, peas and onion

I cook for at least 3 hours on a low heat but you can do it in like half hour.

Put in an oven proof dish and spread mashed potatoe over the top and oven bake till mash goes golden brown.

Serve with  veg, and a slice of bread and butter to mop it all up :)  I also sprinkle some curry powder over the mince as that's yummy and I like my food to have a kick!

• Like 4

I made pumpkin hummus today.... it is much better than I expected. really good on carrots or sweet potato chips.

I also made pumpkin custard.. it turned out pretty good but I should have cooked it longer.

Dinner was salmon cakes, sauteed kale with parmesian,.. and a rice stir fry with portabellos and olives...

• Like 2

Beacon, you can't do it all-- nobody can. You can't work full time with long hours, tend to a family, take care of a home, plan menus and shop, cook, clean up, work out, be a loving wife/daughter/friend/neighbor, worship sincerely, pay bills, have play/fun/relaxation time, etc. etc. Which of these are you willing to give up? Apparently, you have given up menu planning and cooking. So buy lots of Atkins or South Beach frozen dinners. Or hire someone (a neighborhood grandmother or a stay-at-home mother or your own mother, if she's nearby) to come in and shop and cook for you one day a week and put everything in the freezer. 

Basically, I'm saying that you can't have it all; you can't do it all. You must choose to accept less than perfect on some aspects of your life. If you insist on healthful and nutritious home-cooked meals, you will need to take time away from something else. If you can't take time away from something else, then you will have to be content with meals that are not quite what you would prefer. Just don't beat up on yourself for not doing everything perfectly, or even well. Set your priorities and let everything else go.

• Like 1

Ah welcome wendy, I always do mince in the slow cooker now :)  It works for chilli con carne (I cheat and buy a sauce and ding uncle ben rice) and also spag bol cooks well in there, as do the normal beef or chicken stews etc. x

Beacon, I have no idea of a low carb meal but I do think perhaps some bulk prep might help?  When I had the pub and pulled some ridiculous hours I would pre cook and freeze the bits that took longer for meals. Ie, I would grill 8 chicken breasts and single wrap freeze them. So I could pull out for the evening before I started work etc. I also pre cooked a couple of meals whole and froze them so some days were just easy. x

• Like 1

I find it hard to cook a decent dinner as I am working long hours and don't home unitl 730 pm. Any suggestions? I am doing low carb

Beacon, you can do this easy peasy.

I eat really well and pretty clean and it doesn't take any time at all.

It is only when company is coming that I pull out all the stops and gild the lilies.  :)

Often on Sunday, I roast a yard bird (with lemons and garlic yum yum this week).

roast with carrots and sweet potatoes, other veg and have them through the week or in soup.

or put a lot of veg on to steam.

When you are done with Sunday dinner, pull the meat off  the bird and set aside.  Toss bones in Crock-pot.

Put water in your roasting pan and heat up, scrape all that good gunk up.

(this makes clean up a breeze)

Transfer to crock pot and add more water if necessary to fill 'er up.

All through the week you will have a delicious soup.

add more veg  or ? during the week

Leftover meat for salads or snacks or ? 

Dinner is served.  bon apetite. 

Beautiful salad of greens,

a nice clean soup du jour in your crock pot.

a  psst pssst pan sauteed fish, chop or, veg.

No time to roast a bird ?

no worry.

a big beautiful salad.

a pssst psssst pan sauteed fish or chop or slices of Eggplant or Zucchini , or Tofu.

Put on plate,

throw a handful of mushrooms or  ?  with herbs, a slosh of wine  and bubble...pour over.

Yum.

​An Omelette.

Drink a GIANT glass of wine.

If I don't want to fire anything up,

I eat a bigger salad with leftover bird and cold veg.

or

I drink more wine.

More wine for peaceful dreams.

Love,

S

• Like 4

I made this yesterday and put it into the fridge for today. It is a white cream sauce spinach and mushroom lasagna.  I put it together with the noodles dry and I usually freeze it for a day or two, but this time I just put it into the fridge for 24 hours and the whole thing kind of heaved. Its actually growing out of the pan, lol.  Lasagna  is always better when it is left over so I cook it once early (currently happening) then I let cool and reheat again  at dinner time. 

20141010_092433.jpg

that is grated mozzarella on top!!  :D

• Like 1

So this is it after the first cooking.... the top kind of heaved even more, so I let it cool a bit and covered with plastic wrap and weighed it down with the marble slab you see under it. At least it is all back in and below the edge of the dish.   It looks a lot more unorganized in the pic than it does in real life.. lol....  I will add some more white sauce on top for the second cooking.  I think it will be really good when I finally  get it to the table,  I definitely need a bigger and deeper lasagna pan.

I know it cooks down but there is  3lbs of fresh cooked spinach  and  two 1lb bags of frozen spinach in this dish. The whole thing has got to weigh 15 lbs or more...  Dinner for two!?!  :huh:

20141010_142306.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday's I cook a lot, especially when it starts getting cooler out.   I make double and triple of dishes and freeze them.  Today I am making Macaroni & Cheese, made with a roux sauce and lots of sharp cheddar, nutmeg and Tabasco sauce.  Chicken soup with extra noodles.  Tonight for dinner is a roast chicken, with roasted root veggies (carrots, red potatoes and onion).  That alone will provide me with enough chicken for lunches throughout the week.  

• Like 3

You guys are making me hungry!! Tonight I am making Lasagna - tomorrow Fettuccine Alfredo, Wednesday Italian Roast Beef and Thursday Shepherds Pie!! It's comfort food week Oh yeah Friday is either Chicken Marsala or Lemon Thyme Chicken

• Like 5

You guys are making me hungry!! Tonight I am making Lasagna - tomorrow Fettuccine Alfredo, Wednesday Italian Roast Beef and Thursday Shepherds Pie!! It's comfort food week Oh yeah Friday is either Chicken Marsala or Lemon Thyme Chicken

Yummo!  what time should I get there!?

• Like 2

I have been very stressed and busy lately, so Steve cooked tonight. :) He made pan fried chicken, couscous, and steamed broccoli. I'm still hungry though. I woke up late and I've only had about 800 calories today. Don't know what I will do for a snack, but this was a pretty yummy dinner!

10689469_10152568828098423_5980920853845

• Like 3