What's For Dinner: Part 2

Leanna

It is a milk based gravy common in the south US.  Eaten with biscuits and suasaue (sauage gravy)  for breakfast, also made and served with fried chicken, chicken fried steak.  We do make brown gravies, usually for beef roasts, and used to make smothered cube steak, or pork chops.  It you go to a true southern restaurant or cafeteria they usually ask if you want white or brown gravy on your meat selection, mashed potatoes or rice. Even tomato based sauces can be called gravy in some areas. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Wouldn't that mean it's just a bechamel sauce?

After a doing a search it might be, sounds like Kris might know. I am not up to speed on this stuff, but here is a recipe good ol southern biscuits and gravy! 

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/how-to-make-easy-biscuits-and-gravy/

On 9/9/2022 at 12:09 AM, notsmokinjo said:

Wouldn't that mean it's just a bechamel sauce?

You got it!! Instead of butter as your oil component, you use the sausage drippings/grease and add your flour to that.  Same thing with fried chicken or chicken fried steak.  Drain most of the grease you cook the meat in and reserve enough to make your roux in the desired amount. Same thing as a bechamel. 

Some people in the US south crumble the sausage into the gravy or cook it crumbled to be in the gravy.  My family always wanted the sausage served on the side.  

Bechamel, sounds fancy but it is not.  I use it for the base of so many things.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not a stormy day here but I made soup.

My Mother used to make the best potato soup and since she passed we have not been able to find the recipe. 

This is around my 10th batch trying to recreate it, Mom never put corn in (usually on the side) but I am going to add some next time.

It taste better than it looks, as attested by my kids, as soon a I text them I made potato soup they come over to get some, along with dinner rolls.  

5lbs potato's

1lb bacon

1/2 onion

1.5 tbsp butter

12oz evaporated milk 

salt/pepper

next corn......

20221024_173732_resized.jpg

Edited by overcome
  • Like 3

@overcome ... switch out your onion for a leak add some chicken stock and that's the ingredients to my spud soup.

I brown the butter a bit, soften the leaks then cook the bacon until the fat renders, add the spuds and just enough stock to cover... boil until spud very soft then puree and add enough evaporated milk to get the right consistency.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

@overcome ... switch out your onion for a leak add some chicken stock and that's the ingredients to my spud soup.

I brown the butter a bit, soften the leaks then cook the bacon until the fat renders, add the spuds and just enough stock to cover... boil until spud very soft then puree and add enough evaporated milk to get the right consistency.

Ok I'll give that a try on the next batch, had to do a google search for a leak to see what that was.

Thank you!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I figure I would wake this thread up.  I normally do the cooking but tonight my son is making dinner.  Meatball Parmesan and Capellini  Yummy!!! I told him that he can make dinner for us as long as he cleans up to "my" specifications, as I am a strict taskmaster...LOL!!!😁

• Like 1

Going out for family-style vegetarian Ethiopian dinner with friends tonight. Can’t wait, I love those curried lentils and the carrot/cabbage thing. Just gotta watch that injera bread… it expaaaaaands in the tummy!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DenaliBlues said:

Going out for family-style vegetarian Ethiopian dinner with friends tonight. Can’t wait, I love those curried lentils and the carrot/cabbage thing. Just gotta watch that injera bread… it expaaaaaands in the tummy!

I do like Ethiopian food, I had it a couple times but it was way too spicy.  If I go again, I will have to ask them to ease up on those hot peppers

15 hours ago, Cbdave said:

G’day

Wrong  end of the day for me….. so how’s breakfast? On the grill

IMG_0305.png

That's a really neat BBQ! I like the idea of having half regular BBQ grate and the other half as a griddle surface.

Both style of grates come into use depending on what you're cooking.

Does that unit use charcoal or is it gas fired?

G’day

It’s a weber Q family, the larger 2 gas burner. During the summer months here everything’s cooked on this grill. Just too hot to cook on the range in the kitchen better flashing the gas weber on the verandah 2 steps from the kitchen door. Chuck a couple of layers of aluminium foil down and put a trivit on that you can use it like an oven.

Heres a savoury lamb pie I’ve baked on the Q.

IMG_0307.png

IMG_0308.png

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Cbdave said:

G’day

It’s a weber Q family, the larger 2 gas burner. During the summer months here everything’s cooked on this grill. Just too hot to cook on the range in the kitchen better flashing the gas weber on the verandah 2 steps from the kitchen door. Chuck a couple of layers of aluminium foil down and put a trivit on that you can use it like an oven.

IMG_0307.png

IMG_0308.png

It looks good, but I don't like lamb, but if you substitute beef, it looks delicious!! You don't have air conditioning in Australia?  What part of Australia do you live in?  My older son, who is 35 did a semester at the University of Queensland in Brisbane back in 2009.  I don't remember if he said, if the family he stayed with had air conditioning or not.  But, doesn't it get very hot there most of the year? How do you deal with the heat?

G’day 

Yes most places are air conditioned. Prefer not to run mine till needed and usually only the bedroom at night. And to be frank I much prefer to sit out in the sea breeze on my back verandah keeping an eye on the Weber than sitting in an air conditioned box. 
Brisbane is sub tropical. It can get a bit steamy in summer but that’s only a few months a year. The rest is perfect. We don’t have a heater. I don’t have a jumper. Just not needed. 

• Like 3

On 2/4/2024 at 5:00 PM, Cbdave said:

G’day 

Yes most places are air conditioned. Prefer not to run mine till needed and usually only the bedroom at night. And to be frank I much prefer to sit out in the sea breeze on my back verandah keeping an eye on the Weber than sitting in an air conditioned box. 
Brisbane is sub tropical. It can get a bit steamy in summer but that’s only a few months a year. The rest is perfect. We don’t have a heater. I don’t have a jumper. Just not needed. 

sounds like you live in a little corner of paradise.  Maybe I'll get a chance to visit Australia one day.  The closest I ever got was watching the movie Quigley down under.  

• Like 2

On 2/4/2024 at 4:18 PM, Cbdave said:

G’day

IMG_0307.png

IMG_0308.png

Webers are great BBQ's. That Lamb Pie looks really good - Yum!

I have a Weber gas grill as well as their Rocky Mountain Smoker which is charcoal fueled.

My gas grill is just a standard BBQ grate. I do have a cast iron grill plate that I use frequently on the gas grill.

Do mostly baby-back pork ribs, roast of beef or whole chickens on the smoker. I also love to just sit out on the porch and tend to the smoker for a few hours on a sunny Sunday afternoon!

Ribs3.gif.2d80f16782713fcebf677e305b8ecd33.gif

• Like 4