What's For Dinner: Part 2

Leanna

We had rump steak, chips and mushrooms tonight. I did think to make London Broil Colleen but didn't have enough time to leave it to marinate... Next time for sure as I will write myself a reminder. I did however use the brand French's New York Steak Sauce and enjoyed that, so ended well.

Tried something different tonight. I couldn't decide what to do with the chicken breasts I had thawed. Looked in the cupboard and found a jar of Louisiana Cajun Seasoning and a box of panko bread crumbs. So I sprinkled the seasoning on the chicken, rolled them in the bread crumbs and baked. After 15 minutes I spooned on some TGI Friday's frozen spinach artichoke dip and finished baking for 10 more minutes. Served with stir-fried julienned carrots and zucchini and some spaghetti with butter and parmesan (not shown here). The cajun seasoning went surprisingly well with the spinach artichoke flavors. Hubby loved it all, even the veggies! 

artichoke_chicken_dinner.jpg

• Like 6

Pippa I'm glad that you like the actifry link, I have a recipe that I think you will really enjoy so will post it on the recipe thread. I have suggested a food forum (fingers crossed) as I have quite a few hints and tips on using the Actifry. If not though I'll add them to the recipe thread. Stalk me anytime Pippa ;)

Tonight I made us cottage pie. I always add a squirt of tomato ketchup, a splash of Worcester sauce and a 1/2 tsp of Marmite to my mix...saw it on TV and it really does give the dish body. Hope my picture doesn't end up upside down ;)

Sharon, your cottage pie looks scrumptious! Such an elegant-looking dish from simple ground beef and potatoes. It looks a lot like my shepherd's pie, which I haven't made in a while. I think I'll make one of those soon. Thanks for the idea.

Last night was salt and pepper squid done in the actifryer ( thanks Saron - am now experimenting big time :-). ). With mango salad - gotta love mango season :-). Oh and served with a glass of wine !

d4a64671fda7e3a8f019dab649a9cb58_zpsf8ef

• Like 2

Pippa, your mango salad looks wonderful! I didn't even know that this was "mango season". I'll have to watch for mangoes on sale.

Speaking of mango salads, one of my favorites is Buffalo Shrimp Mango Avocado Salad (although you could use chicken instead of shrimp). Check it out here: http://www.publix.com/recipes-planning/aprons-simple-meals/buffalo-shrimp-salad-and-raspberry-blue-cheese-crostini

seaf0164_600x440.jpg

• Like 1

Last night was salt and pepper squid done in the actifryer ( thanks Saron - am now experimenting big time :-). ). With mango salad - gotta love mango season :-). Oh and served with a glass of wine !

OK,, I am looking into the actifryer and although I want to try one out,,, I was surprised at the price tag. So I am going to have to do a bit more investigating before making the investment. Any input on what you do or do not like about the one you are using... or any guidance at all would be appreciated.

I currently have a deep fryer that I have filled with olive oil and for the most part only use for vegetables.. I make my own chips, these are some of my plantain chips that I season with salt and cummin...

20150121_143401.jpg

and these are sweet potato chips that I season with salt and nutmeg...

20150121_145144_4.jpg

I made 2 1-gallon bags of these chips the other day, some to sample out because people were curious about them. I finally made some horseradish hummus that turned out really good to go with them. I will have to make a batch in bulk this week now that I know it will be good.

Edited to note that because I use a better grade oil in my fryer, the chips are not greasy and the salt does not stick very well so there is not much salt if you were wondering about salt content.

• Like 1

You know what I like about this thread? These are real meals designed and created by real people. Not chefs. Not magazine writers. Not boring skinny-minny dinners consisting only of broiled meat and steamed vegetables, either. We're just normal people who enjoy making good, healthful food to share with our families. Enough variety and spices and textures to make it interesting but not things that take a whole day in the kitchen to prepare. Some days we feel like getting complicated and creative and other days we want to keep it quick and simple-- just like real life. It's nice to meet like-minded cooks!

• Like 2

I'm making pita pizzas. I will post pictures. :D

10430366_10152800553468423_5147292944591

Being Gluten Intolerant, that looks even tastier to me than you understand Leanna.... Good good good!!!!!    :)

Tonights dinner as previously promised....20150124_192006.jpg

Salmon cakes, shrimp stuffed with crab, coleslaw and sweet potato fries,,, the pink stuff is a beet relish tarter sauce.

Not shown is a tossed salad with a home made  pickled yellow pepper based thousand island like dressing.

gluten, corn, & soy free... everything from scratch!... yep, I make the mayo and the ketchup too. :)

• Like 3

Colleen, a burger stuffed with cheese sounds amazing. Chrys and Pippa -- yum! I'm going to have to try the mango salad. Did you use any dressing?

Pippa, your mango salad looks wonderful! I didn't even know that this was "mango season". I'll have to watch for mangoes on sale.

Speaking of mango salads, one of my favorites is Buffalo Shrimp Mango Avocado Salad (although you could use chicken instead of shrimp). Check it out here: http://www.publix.com/recipes-planning/aprons-simple-meals/buffalo-shrimp-salad-and-raspberry-blue-cheese-crostini

seaf0164_600x440.jpg

Thanks guys - have to say it was yummy !!

Leanna - I made a Thai dressing - so equal fish sauce, lime juice and some Palm sugar and Chile ( in my case lots of Chille ! :-) )

chrys- mango season here is oz - gotta love the tropics ,,, pretty sure not so in the the northern hemisphere :-)

OK,, I am looking into the actifryer and although I want to try one out,,, I was surprised at the price tag. So I am going to have to do a bit more investigating before making the investment. Any input on what you do or do not like about the one you are using... or any guidance at all would be appreciated.I currently have a deep fryer that I have filled with olive oil and for the most part only use for vegetables.. I make my own chips, these are some of my plantain chips that I season with salt and cummin...20150121_143401.jpgand these are sweet potato chips that I season with salt and nutmeg...20150121_145144.jpgI made 2 1-gallon bags of these chips the other day, some to sample out because people were curious about them. I finally made some horseradish hummus that turned out really good to go with them. I will have to make a batch in bulk this week now that I know it will be good.Edited to note that because I use a better grade oil in my fryer, the chips are not greasy and the salt does not stick very well so there is not much salt if you were wondering about salt content.

Scott - I love my actifryer - I'm on my second and seriously thought it was to expensive but love it now,, all those foods I couldnqt eat are back on the table - if you like deep fried bit won't eat itb - you will love it !!

Thanks guys - have to say it was yummy !!

Leanna - I made a Thai dressing - so equal fish sauce, lime juice and some Palm sugar and Chile ( in my case lots of Chille ! :-) )

chrys- mango season here is oz - gotta love the tropics ,,, pretty sure not so in the the northern hemisphere :-)

Oh, I didn't realize that you were in Oz. That makes me feel better-- I couldn't figure out how mangoes could be in season in the middle of winter but if you said it was so, you must be correct. (LOL!  :) )

• Like 2