What worked for you?

Nicole Diver

The reality that if something happened to me, my children would find me. I said it to someone recently... There are so many things in this world that can traumatize my kids I am not going to let my poor health choices be one of them. 

Scary times Doll. Pleased you quit for all the health reasons but this touches my heart. Good for you mama. xx

• Like 1

DD that is crazy. That poor child.

The forever part was always ok for me bc if I were going day to day (NTAP today) then I'd be redoing my thought process about it everyday. And for me that is too daunting, bc it leaves that door in my mind open for variables. I just need smoking off the table altogether. Boom.

• Like 1

What worked, like actually finally clicked, for me is actually horribly morbid.

I was sick and in the hospital throughout the month of December for smoking related illnesses (all serious). It is important that I mention that Mr. DD was overseas and that I am the person who calls down to a group of wives when things happen.

I quit on NYE and had a really hard time physically and then mentally. Late in the month of January I received a phone call from the unit to check my email and make a call out. One of the wives in our company was murdered. If that wasn't bad enough her 6 year old child found her. This hit me so hard as if a baby finding their mom isn't bad enough... That poor baby had to stay with strangers until they got his Dad home.

That was when the "forever" part of my quit became ok with me. The reality that if something happened to me, my children would find me. I said it to someone recently... There are so many things in this world that can traumatize my kids I am not going to let my poor health choices be one of them.

Wow.

Perspective helps.

Terrible story DD. Must have been tough.

What worked for me was after reading, I realized deep in my heart that I smoked because I was adficted to nicotine. Not because it helped me, relaxed me, or added to anything. There is no reason to smoke once you break free from the addiction.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

One day at a time... I will always be one puff away from a pack a day because I will always be a nicotine addict but every morning when I wake up I promise myself I will not smoke for the next twenty four hours, its achievable, so far I've done it 322 times in a row successfully. The other thing was the accountability of the public NOPE... every day I make sure everyone sees my nope, there is no chance you can miss it unless you don't go to the nope thread and every day I like everyone else who nopes nope... so they know I have seen them too.... joining in the social games not only kept my mind occupied but it also let me develop some great friendships and build an amazing quit buddy network... so having the support of people who knew how I was feeling or who had already walked the path and lit the lights to guide my way.

• Like 4

In my own case, there was no lightbulb, and I felt exactly like you in your four month failed quit.  I'm just a stubborn mofo, and I kept persisting, believing in my process, which included pretty dramatic changes to my diet and daily exercise.  At some point (around 12-15 months), I simply stopped thinking about smoking.  I share my experience because I firmly believe that it isn't necessary to change one's thinking at the outset (and may, in fact, be inconsistent with the personalities of certain kinds of people); instead, it's also possible to QUIT one's way into a lifetime quit.  

Christian99

Nearing 17 Years Quit

• Like 4