New Healthy Food Obsessions..What's yours?

Colleen

I love avocados all of a sudden.  Have one just about every other day, with sea salt and pepper, scoop it out with a spoon.  You would be surprised how many people I run into that don't know what they are.  What are you eating? lol

Newest obsession is chicken sausage.  Al Fresco makes a garlic and herb one that is awesome.

• Like 2

I love avocados all of a sudden.  Have one just about every other day, with sea salt and pepper, scoop it out with a spoon.  You would be surprised how many people I run into that don't know what they are.  What are you eating? lol

Newest obsession is chicken sausage.  Al Fresco makes a garlic and herb one that is awesome.

I used to keep Al Fresco Sausages in the fridge at work in case I needed a quick shot of protein.  The roasted tomato is good too.

My latest are the whole grain English Mufflins with 5 gr of fiber.  Nooks and Crannys.  :)

I am on a watermelon binge.  Hate to see Summer leave, I guess. (While I sweat my arse off  :wacko: )

4 watermelons in 3 weeks...and these are the big Mami's Sweet and with seeds, not those little round timid wankers.

We talking BIG.  In Frigidaire  with a big soup spoon sticking up.  yum.

I love avocado.  alligator pears !  Perfect food.  a little squish of citrus too, yum.

have you tried that black lava salt ?  it comes in pink too.  The black is really deep tasting, perfect for avocados.

You have me yearning for Cheshire.  ahhhhhhhhh.

• Like 3

I ate some today too! Plus some big cherries.

And I have been eating peaches, plums, raspberries, blueberries, grapes, cantaloupe, strawberries and honey dew. :0

And veggie shish kabobs broiled with salt and olive oil

And avocados which are ripe and on the ground here free

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Fish 5 times a week? That's dedication.

I have been eating a lot of steamed green beans lately.

A dear soul at work smuggled me in some Canadian 'smarties' and 'coffee crisps.'

Oops! We were talking about healthy foods.

Oops indeed!

Honestly, the only way I can get 5 in a week is to have this three days a week for lunch...with laughing cow cheese on a bagel thin...toasted..

Tuna_Salad_Albacore.jpg

then we have tilapia one night, and flounder another...

I fail more often than I succeed (for five meals, anyway) but I know I am doing better!

• Like 2

A dear soul at work smuggled me in some Canadian 'smarties' and 'coffee crisps.'

Mmmm, Smarties.

Mmmm, Smarties.

Smarties (and Flake bars and Aero bars and sausage rolls) are not healthy lol.  Are you trying to make me crazy or something?? lol

I have become obsessed with seltzer and sparkling water. As far as fish, I love ahi tuna steaks pan fried in olive oil. I have this asian spice rub which is delish. This is good with a side of fresh spinach, leeks and mushrooms also cooked in olive oil in a pan.

• Like 3

I have become obsessed with seltzer and sparkling water. As far as fish, I love ahi tuna steaks pan fried in olive oil. I have this asian spice rub which is delish. This is good with a side of fresh spinach, leeks and mushrooms also cooked in olive oil in a pan.

That sounds so delicious Beacon!

• Like 1

I have been making hummus....

Pesto hummus

5 onion hummus

horseradish hummus

spinach and artichoke hummus

refried bean hummus ( I am not kidding, see note... )

tomato basil hummus

My cousin is manager of a sprout farm, they harvest every week on Thursdays. I get fresh garbanzo beans from there every couple of weeks so my hummus is a little different than what you get in the store. And like everything that I make in the kitchen these days  it has like 5 extra steps and takes twice as long. But the finished product is really good. Lots of protein in hummus and I use top shelf oils and make my own tahini (no big deal... my cat could make tahini, lol)

NOTE:  Yes Refried Bean Hummus is basically flavoring beans with beans.. lol...  But I kind of did by chance a week or two ago, I did it in a small quantity and it was really good. Nothing store bought here,  It takes me 8 to 10 hours to cook the baked beans.  And then I have a whole other pocess to turn them into refried beans. I will have to adjust the hummus recipe the next time I make it though. I will farm it out for taste tests and let you know how it goes.

• Like 3

My new healthy food obsession? Maesri curry pastes! You can get them in Asian groceries or from Amazon. I've been having a ball finding new ways to use them.I think that using lots of spices is the best way to make food be delicious and interesting but still keep the calories low.

Last night I took the yellow curry paste (called karee curry) and rubbed it all over skinless chicken pieces (both light and dark meat). Then I charcoal grilled them and they tasted just like tandoori chicken. Excellent!

Today, I cooked about 1 Tbsp of karee paste in 1 cup of light coconut milk for a few minutes. Then I added 1 cup of chicken broth. I diced the leftover "tandoori" chicken and put it in the sauce together with some sauteed  diced onion and diced avocado. Heated it through and served over rice. So easy and so good!

I bought the Maesri 6-pack from Amazon (2 cans of each curry--red, yellow and green). We have tried and love the green and yellow (green can be a little spicy hot--use sparingly). We'll try the red one next.  Here's a photo of the 3 kinds: 61YhF47Rb0L._SL500_SS100_.jpg

• Like 1

Anything that can be grown in the yard.

Current "obsessions" involve trying to obtain things that aren't already growing there.   Kiwi, Paw-Paw, Asian Pears, and Chestnuts. All being feverishly researched and ordered for fall (after they go dormant, but before ground is frozen) delivery so they can go in the ground for a winter nap and wake up ready to grow in the spring.

Easy Peasy

• Like 3

• 1 month later...