Build a Barrier

JackiMac

Do you know Ive been sitting reading posts today from quitters who have been able to handle their quits and craves really well, and I'm stitting thinking "huh these past 3 weeks has been torture, crave after crave" its been unbearable for the last 3 weeks, my craves have been intense, No-man's land is a BOG , then it suddently clicked in my brain, Jackie who is responsible for the craves being unbearable.....You, your responsible, big lightbulb time, who can stop the craves from being unbearable............You, so Im building a barrier, creating an invisible shield Im going to stop the craves from creeping into my head.  As soon as the little fingers of my addict start tap tapping at my head, ping red button and my barrier is up.  There is no way I am going to let the craves be unbearable any longer, its time to take defensive action, Im strong, and I will succeed.  Feel more in control again ................

• Like 11

Jackie! Brilliant.

The barrier is this:

1. We know that nicotine is long gone - it is not that causing the crave.

2. It is our mind.

3. Do you want to smoke? - No. It is therefore illogical to crave for something you don't want.

Simples!

You are the boss Jackie. 

• Like 2

Thats been my experience too Jackie.

I am not responsible for the thought popping into my head. Im an addict, those thoughts are just going to pop in from time to time.

I AM responsible for what I choose to do with those thoughts though. Do I feed them? Nuture them? Continue to obsess about them?

Or do I get busy using the strategies that have worked for me in the past.....or try some new ones that have worked for others? 

The choice is mine.

Glad you had a lightbulb moment :) 

• Like 5

I am 2 1/2 month m/l into my quit. I had an "unbearable" one yesterday, a full ten minute crave. Those come about a couple times a week. I get annoying pings at least twice a day. Adding up the time of discomfort over my entire quit is maybe as much as an 8 hour shift at a Burger King saying "you want some fries with that?" We need to keep our perception of "Hell" in perspective, ho ho!

I smoked heavy for 40 years since i was a kid. I quit, you can too. Good to see you formulating methods to beat the addiction. As long as you keep trying the playbook gets better and better.

• Like 5

Exactly all the above and more, I need to stop feeling sorry for myself "Duhhh"  My quits come along quite regularly and in the beginning of the quit it was like oh yeah bring it on, recently I've been fixating on them ....bad move, stop feeding the addict with ammunition, its just a crave, thats all, just a silly stupid crave, nothing more and it will pass if you ignore it.

• Like 4

Exactly all the above and more, I need to stop feeling sorry for myself "Duhhh"  My quits come along quite regularly and in the beginning of the quit it was like oh yeah bring it on, recently I've been fixating on them ....bad move, stop feeding the addict with ammunition, its just a crave, thats all, just a silly stupid crave, nothing more and it will pass if you ignore it.

Thanks for making me smile!!!  I love this!  So happy for you today Jackie!!  :)

• Like 1

Do you know Ive been sitting reading posts today from quitters who have been able to handle their quits and craves really well, and I'm stitting thinking "huh these past 3 weeks has been torture, crave after crave" its been unbearable for the last 3 weeks, my craves have been intense, No-man's land is a BOG , then it suddently clicked in my brain, Jackie who is responsible for the craves being unbearable.....You, your responsible, big lightbulb time, who can stop the craves from being unbearable............You, so Im building a barrier, creating an invisible shield Im going to stop the craves from creeping into my head.  As soon as the little fingers of my addict start tap tapping at my head, ping red button and my barrier is up.  There is no way I am going to let the craves be unbearable any longer, its time to take defensive action, Im strong, and I will succeed.  Feel more in control again ................

I've had a bad day today Jackie, so maybe I should try this !

• Like 1

Awesome Jackie! I love this idea. This barrier will help eliminate some of your craves. It's all mind over matter anyway. I remember when I was a smoker and would be in tears if I couldn't afford a pack of cigarettes, exclaiming I couldn't possibly go on without a cigarette. It was so silly at the time, but that was all me. I would believe how desperate and how in need I was for a cigarette. I made the situation much worse for myself!

• Like 1

• 6 years later...