New member, struggling!

Hi,

I am a new member and trying to wean myself off of smoking, (2nd time trying to quit...first time, back in 2009 I quit for 6 years but then went back).  I have been a 3/4 pack a day smoker and I have been weaning myself off for the past 2-3 weeks.  As of now, I'm smoking 1-2 cigs a day and it's very difficult because of the physical cravings.  I'm very irritable and it's just so hard this time.  Last time I used Chantix and it was very easy, this time doing the weaning method and it's not easy at all!  Any advice?  I would greatly appreciate it. What do you do to get rid of the physical urges?

Thanks so much!

Sandi

• Like 3

Hi Sandi..

Welcome to the Train ..

While your still smoking you are in constant withdrawal ...

Check out our Main Smoking Discussion Board..so much great information to help you along ..

The cutting down method very rarely works..as you will always have nicotine and withdrawal..

We have some great Newbies to ride with ..!!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Doreensfree said:

Hi Sandi..

Welcome to the Train ..

While your still smoking you are in constant withdrawal ...

Check out our Main Smoking Discussion Board..so much great information to help you along ..

The cutting down method very rarely works..as you will always have nicotine and withdrawal..

We have some great Newbies to ride with ..!!

Thank you for replying! I have another question.  The patch/gum/lozenges are also a cutting down method?  I know several people who used that method and are quit now for many years.  Is the cutting down method I am using, the same as the patch/lozenges, etc?  Do people still get the horrible cravings when using that method?

Thank you!

• Like 2

Welcome Sandi,

It is good that you are trying to quit smoking again.  I'm sorry for your loss of a 6 year quit.

As long as you continue to smoke, even one or two a day, the cravings will continue.  I have attempted the weaning method and really struggled.  Not only did smoking a small number of cigarettes a day keep the physical addiction alive, I realized that I was thinking of smoking that cigarette as a reward for going several hours smoke free a day.  That really hurts both physically and psychologically.

I would suggest either going back to an NRT (Nicotine Replacement Therapy) like Chantix or trying cold turkey.  

Are you currently using Chantix?  If this worked for you before, perhaps you should go back that route.  I did not quit using Chantix but I do know others here have and they will probably share some advice.

Doreen is right, there is quite a bit of info in the Main Smoking Discussion Board. 

If you do decide to try cold turkey, I would suggest seeking out Allan Carr's book "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking."  I was able to reserve it at a library but it can be bought online too.  Don't expect the book to make smoking "easy" but it does give good insight on nicotine addiction.  There is also a section about how the weaning method can be quite tough.

You are doing the right thing in quitting though.  Think about how healthier you felt during your quit.  There really is no positive to smoking.  It is all negative. 

Welcome again.  It is good to have you here.  You can do this

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, johnny5 said:

Welcome Sandi,

It is good that you are trying to quit smoking again.  I'm sorry for your loss of a 6 year quit.

As long as you continue to smoke, even one or two a day, the cravings will continue.  I have attempted the weaning method and really struggled.  Not only did smoking a small number of cigarettes a day keep the physical addiction alive, I realized that I was thinking of smoking that cigarette as a reward for going several hours smoke free a day.  That really hurts both physically and psychologically.

I would suggest either going back to an NRT (Nicotine Replacement Therapy) like Chantix or trying cold turkey.  

Are you currently using Chantix?  If this worked for you before, perhaps you should go back that route.  I did not quit using Chantix but I do know others here have and they will probably share some advice.

Doreen is right, there is quite a bit of info in the Main Smoking Discussion Board. 

If you do decide to try cold turkey, I would suggest seeking out Allan Carr's book "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking."  I was able to reserve it at a library but it can be bought online too.  Don't expect the book to make smoking "easy" but it does give good insight on nicotine addiction.  There is also a section about how the weaning method can be quite tough.

You are doing the right thing in quitting though.  Think about how healthier you felt during your quit.  There really is no positive to smoking.  It is all negative. 

Welcome again.  It is good to have you here.  You can do this

Thank you Johnny5,

I can't do the Chantix again because my insurance company doesn't know I smoke now.  Back when I quit in 2009, Chantix wasn't covered by insurance and it cost me with a pharmacy discount $120 a month, which was expensive.  Now it's covered by insurance, but as I mentioned, they don't know that I smoke and the price now of the Chantix is $500 a month which is totally insane and  I cannot afford it.  So, I'm trying to do the weaning method.  

Once you gave up smoking for good, how long did the cravings last?  The cravings now are really horrible even though I'm smoking 1-2 a day, and I can't imagine the cravings will get better, if I have no cigs?

Do you think if I go on the patch/lozenges, gum will that help me more than my method?

Thank you!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sandi149 said:

Thank you for replying! I have another question.  The patch/gum/lozenges are also a cutting down method?  I know several people who used that method and are quit now for many years.  Is the cutting down method I am using, the same as the patch/lozenges, etc?  Do people still get the horrible cravings when using that method?

Thank you!

I do know a lot of people have been successful with NRT's like the patch/gum/lozenges and yes, technically that is weaning yourself off of nicotine.  The people who have succeeded this way usually say that they followed the steps and instructions closely, including the steps for cutting down on dosages.

I never used those methods so I can only go on my own experience.  When I made several attempts to quit by cutting down on my own, I came up with a number in my mind that I tried to keep my daily smoking and gradually cut down.  This was also without the consultation of a doctor or instructions as you would find with the patch, gum, etc.

Usually, I started with a half pack a day (10) and cut down every few days.  I usually was able to get to about three or four before the cravings were just too much and I would just give up.  I have heard this is other people's experience as well.

1 minute ago, Sandi149 said:

Thank you Johnny5,

I can't do the Chantix again because my insurance company doesn't know I smoke now.  Back when I quit in 2009, Chantix wasn't covered by insurance and it cost me with a pharmacy discount $120 a month, which was expensive.  Now it's covered by insurance, but as I mentioned, they don't know that I smoke and the price now of the Chantix is $500 a month which is totally insane and  I cannot afford it.  So, I'm trying to do the weaning method.  

Once you gave up smoking for good, how long did the cravings last?  The cravings now are really horrible even though I'm smoking 1-2 a day, and I can't imagine the cravings will get better, if I have no cigs?

Do you think if I go on the patch/lozenges, gum will that help me more than my method?

Thank you!

Just saw this reply as I was tying my reply.  I didn't realize the cost was that high.  Are patches, lozenges, and gum  more affordable?  Again, I am thinking some others can give you better advice about NRTs.

I got fed up and eventually did quit by cold turkey.  A lot of what helped me was hanging close to a website like this for support.  Everyone's experience with quitting is different.  Some people have remarkably easy quits (although that is rare) but most people do struggle for a while.  I think of cigarette, or nicotine addiction as having two components...a physical one and a psychological one.  The physical part is your body craving that nicotine fix as long as there is still nicotine in your body.  After approximately three days, nicotine has supposedly left your body and the physical cravings ease up.  The psychological cravings can last a lot longer as you are ending a habit, and addiction, that you have had for years.  How long that last varies for everyone.  Sorry I don't have an exact number for how long it will last.

Sorry for the rambling but if the patches, lozenges, or gum are more reasonably priced, I would definitely suggest looking into them.

• Like 2

Great advice from Johnny..

Nicotine gum might be the cheapest option ..

No matter what method you choose there will be a day you just have to go it alone..

Read  read,read arm yourself with advice ..understand this addiction.

Edited by Doreensfree
  • Like 2

Welcome @Sandi149, I agree to what Johnny and Doreen have said. 

16 minutes ago, johnny5 said:

The cravings will actually get better in time if you have no cigs. The way you're going about it now will leave you in a constant state of craving that won't end. Plus, we all know that 1-2 soon turns into 3-4, 5-6, etc.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, johnny5 said:

I do know a lot of people have been successful with NRT's like the patch/gum/lozenges and yes, technically that is weaning yourself off of nicotine.  The people who have succeeded this way usually say that they followed the steps and instructions closely, including the steps for cutting down on dosages.

I never used those methods so I can only go on my own experience.  When I made several attempts to quit by cutting down on my own, I came up with a number in my mind that I tried to keep my daily smoking and gradually cut down.  This was also without the consultation of a doctor or instructions as you would find with the patch, gum, etc.

Usually, I started with a half pack a day (10) and cut down every few days.  I usually was able to get to about three or four before the cravings were just too much and I would just give up.  I have heard this is other people's experience as well.

Just saw this reply as I was tying my reply.  I didn't realize the cost was that high.  Are patches, lozenges, and gum  more affordable?  Again, I am thinking some others can give you better advice about NRTs.

I got fed up and eventually did quit by cold turkey.  A lot of what helped me was hanging close to a website like this for support.  Everyone's experience with quitting is different.  Some people have remarkably easy quits (although that is rare) but most people do struggle for a while.  I think of cigarette, or nicotine addiction as having two components...a physical one and a psychological one.  The physical part is your body craving that nicotine fix as long as there is still nicotine in your body.  After approximately three days, nicotine has supposedly left your body and the physical cravings ease up.  The psychological cravings can last a lot longer as you are ending a habit, and addiction, that you have had for years.  How long that last varies for everyone.  Sorry I don't have an exact number for how long it will last.

Sorry for the rambling but if the patches, lozenges, or gum are more reasonably priced, I would definitely suggest looking into them.

Yes, the cost is very high, if I go without insurance.  As I said, I have insurance but they don't know that I smoke anymore.  With insurance it's free now, without, $500 a month. Way too much for my budget. Yes the Nicorette stuff is way more affordable...maybe like $40-50 a week and it's like a 2-4 week program.

I don't know what to do!  I'm afraid these cravings will last for months, even if I go cold turkey! 😞  It's just horrible!!!

Thank you for your help!!! Really appreciate it!!

27 minutes ago, jillar said:

The cravings will actually get better in time if you have no cigs. The way you're going about it now will leave you in a constant state of craving that won't end. Plus, we all know that 1-2 soon turns into 3-4, 5-6, etc.

Ok I get it, but if I go on the Nicorette which is also weaning, how will that work out for me? Won't it be the same as weaning from actual cigs?

No, it won't be the same. You will shift from a smoker who has cutdown to a quitter on NRT. A completely different mindset. There's no way you can think about being an actual quitter right now because you're too busy thinking about that next cigarette.

• Like 1

Hey Sandi, congrats on being here, presently thinking abt quitting!  Everyone here has the best advice. ❤️  For me I went cold turkey and used an air cig (straw w cotton in it) and just a lot of tv, couch laying, crying, food, exercise, yelling, etc lol. It’s different for everybody. But Jillar’s so right that the cravings actually go away once you stop smoking altogether.  I didn’t think it would happen either 😂 but it does. And I’m still early in my quit. Ya kinda just have to grind yer teeth and bite the bullet to start in my opinion. I know it seems totally daunting but you truly can do it. I didn’t think I could start nor knew how. 
Here for u!

• Like 2

I am totally insane over this!!! Thank you all for helping me....I am going to try my best.  My husband quit back in 2018 but he is totally not understanding at all.  I would think he would be understanding, but he isn't!!!  He has been horrible to me.  I just can't deal with this!! Ugh!  It's so difficult!!! 😞

• Sad 1

Tats all you can do is try your best ❤️
There’s no special certain day, time, etc to do it’s just deciding to not pick another one up   
And don’t worry abt your husband…while he should be supportive, you can totally do this. We can help. Reddit helped me too. 

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum, @Sandi149. I’m sorry you are struggling, but you have come to the right place for support.

I, too, lost a 7-year quit once. I also tried to “wean” myself off of smoking. It didn’t work. I had to either smoke or quit smoking. Hovering in between was too excruciating.

It’s that way because of how withdrawal works in the nicotine-addicted brain. By continuing to smoke - even “just” one or two a day - you never give your body the opportunity to get to the other side of withdrawal. You’re prolonging it without resolving it.

I used NRT (lozenges and patches) and found that it worked for me. Oral or patch NRT is a much less gratifying delivery system than smoking. So it blunted the sharpest edges of my cravings while I made the initial transition to quitting. It helped me get through the first panic of not smoking. After a few weeks, when the NRT no longer reduced my edgy feelings, I knew I needed to break free of nicotine completely. It was hard, but by that time I had built up enough quitting skills to get through it.

I know this is really scary. You feel like you might lose your mind. But that is your inner addict being all panicky about not getting its fix. Junkie mind tells us all kinds of lies. Here is the truth: You will not die from withdrawal. You’ll be jittery and upset and off kilter for a while. It will suck. But if you stick with it,  it will get easier. Life is so much better on the other side. 

You can do this!

• Like 3

Welcome @Sandi149 really good advise from everyone.

I tried everything many times, the only thing that really worked for me was cold turkey, took a week off work and just did not smoke, I survived and it really was not as bad as I had made it out to be. 

You can beat this addiction and no longer be a slave to nicotine, you just have to educate yourself about it and get it done. The nicotine only stays in your body for 3 days after quiting. 

All the best with what ever method you choose. 

Edited by overcome
  • Like 2

Im sorry your husband doesnt give you support 

Come here we have got plenty ..

Our brains can be our worst enemy 

Over thinking things ..

You have put hundreds of poisons 

In your body for decades ..

Its going to take a while to free you 

Mentaly and physicaly..

Yes it might hurt for a while,some hurt more than others ..

Look at it positively.

Your freeing yourself of probally killing yourself early from a deadly addiction .

Its all good .

Edited by Doreensfree
  • Like 3

On 5/21/2023 at 1:48 PM, jillar said:

The fear of the intense withdrawal is SO scary! How long does it really last?

@LeapOfFaith, its different for everyone. I had a hard first year but when I look back at it now it really wasn't as bad as I had myself hyped up for it to be. I would say the first month is the worst and we recommend sticking around your support for the whole first year of your quit so we can help support you if you need us to.

• Like 2

Hi @Sandi149 nice to meet you!  Ive quit several times, but like you I threw away a years long quit, but hey im back again also.  Ive used champix before also, I dont think i got a long quit with champix, but it was so long ago, i cant quite remember.  But I am a major NRT advocate!!!  It got me my years long quit before, and its whats aiding me on this quit now, I think im coming up for 6 months 🙂 The patches, gum, lozenges, whatever you fancy, they realllllly reallllllly help!  I must admit, i prefer the patches, the gum tastes really quite awful!  But different strokes for different folks.  My good pal is quitting on the gum right now, he needs that physical grab a gum and chew it when he gets a craving. I think you just need to jump in and go for it!  We'll all be here to support you 🙂

• Like 4