So whatcha doing?

Brioski

Just got home from the shop…me and hubs own a screen printing and embroidery business.  I used to teach special education K-2 but resigned last year. I still don’t know what I want to do with my life 😂

But me, now, Just crashed on the couch for a bit before making dinner.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, how is everybody?

It smells like a campfire or a Roman Catholic Church here, I guess it’s smoke from the Canadian wildfires….crazy! It’s very hazy and foggy too. 

Anyway, whatcha doing?

Hi bri, I just got done eating and now I'm having a beer and watching Supermarket Stakeout.

Btw, did you know we also have a topic called What are you doing right now? LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Today I did a little work on the solid oak coffee table I'm refinishing. It was scratched and water damaged but I think I've been able to sand out all the damage so now it's just applying a few coats of stain + polyurethane finish to it then reassembling the legs and getting it from the garage to the living room. OMG, it's REALLY heavy! 

Here's a pic of part of the surface before I started:

346657302_CoffeeTableBeforeRefinishing1.jpg.513055a81c04ed7fd6204e83296a0e09.jpg

I already finished the matching end table that was also damaged in the same manner as the coffee table. It turned out really well :) 

The stain I'm using is more of a honey-brown stain. The color code was 'Golden Oak' on the stain I bought. The original stain was a darker brown. I think the new color is 'warmer'? I'm happy with it in any case.

519873913_EndTableRefinished.jpg.92aee04a677eb37e0855d883ff7a57e3.jpg

• Like 6

That’s really nice reci!! It def seems warmer.

I’m redoing my accordion closet doors and was wondering how to start. I got some citrus paint peel stuff to help before I sand. Then winging a stain color.  A poly finish is all u need after stain? You’re making me feel better abt this project lol. 

Yes Sandi very hot and humid in Jersey too.  AC to the rescue. 

The service for my former student is Thursday, parents asked some of us to speak so I am. Oy.  Sad all around. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Brioski said:

That’s really nice reci!! It def seems warmer.

I’m redoing my accordion closet doors and was wondering how to start. I got some citrus paint peel stuff to help before I sand. Then winging a stain color.  A poly finish is all u need after stain? You’re making me feel better abt this project lol. 

Yes Sandi very hot and humid in Jersey too.  AC to the rescue. 

The service for my former student is Thursday, parents asked some of us to speak so I am. Oy.  Sad all around. 

I went with a combination stain/polyurethane @Brioski. The only brand available where I live that's a combo stain/polyurethane is this one: Varathane. I got it at Home Depot in the paint department. They have several different color options. Some have a satin finish whereas others are gloss. I'd go satin 👍.

688329534_TableFinish.jpg.951025fe41d204a0bd5ed675917ac11d.jpg

If you want to know the specific process I used, shoot me a PM and I'll give you a step be step description. My concern with your project would be the kind of wood your accordion doors are made from. Most I've ever seen are either plywood or a thin laminate over plywood (to keep them light for opening and closing). If that's the case with yours, it may be tricky sanding them and then applying a natural wood finish. Plywood or laminates don't take well to heavy sanding then depending on the wood grain once they are sanded, how will they look with a natural wood finish? From your comment above I assume they are currently painted? 

Like I said earlier, feel free to shot me a PM with whatever info. on your doors that you have - pic would be great too! I'll do the best I can to give you recommendations.

Here's my big coffee table after 3 coats of finish with a light sanding between coats. One more coat tomorrow, a light sanding and then an application of paste wax & ... it's done 🍻 

1398016884_CoffeTableAfterRefinishing.jpg.2e28db53df0a911af371831e72fb31e3.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you, reci!! I’ll snap a pic and pm u when I can, busy week this week. Maybe over the weekend. I haven’t started anything yet. I’ll have to see what kind of wood/material it is. Thank you for the offer!!

• Like 2

Sitting in the dark, except for the light of my phone. Big storm with deluge of rain & gale force winds knocked out the power so,  probably an early night as they indicate on the power grid map that it’ll be 2:00 AM before power is restored. 
What’s really pissing me off is the street behind me still has power! I’m right on the western edge of this outage 😞 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2