Confidence in the quit

tocevoD

Been on here in the past. Been on here as a smoker and as a non smoker. I started with the ciggies last year fully again after trying to be a social smoker for 5 years.

I was that social smoker who didn't smoke the rest of the week. It doesn't work. You are either full in on a quit or you haven't beat the habit. Soon enough the social smoking had ventured into the rest of the week and I was fully smoking again. You're either all on with the quit or not at all. I'm ready for all in.

I'm full on focused that this is the time I will fully quit. I hardly go out socially much anymore but even if I do I'm sure/certain I will not want to go down that path again. 

The time has come, I've been down this path before. I know what the 1st few weeks will be like. The brain triggering at every trigger point. Up in the morning with a cuppa, the brain sends the signal of how you used to have a ciggie. Just home from work, the brain sends the signal of how you relaxed with a ciggie. These are all things that will be batted away again until the thoughts go completely.

Wish me luck if you want but I don't believe I'll need it this time. This is the time I finally beat it and regain my life. Will be in and out of here over the next few weeks, months to document my progress.

• Like 7

The very best of luck to you, toc!  I’m a newbie and trying my best to ride this train!  The brain/psychological part of this whole thing is what gets me the most, how we have to fight our own brain for what’s right.  I don’t want to be a slave to this piece of paper and leaves.  I saw first hand what it did to my amazing daddy, my uncle….I want to break the chain.  Sure the thoughts come of “wouldn’t it be nice” but I breathe and breathe until I blow ‘em down - one hr, min, or sec at a time.  

Ok who’s making me talk like this? Lol I sound like a non smoker 🧐

spacer.png

• Like 9

@tocevoD, I'd like to remind you of your post from August of 2022 where you stated that the next day would be the day to quit once and for all:

I remind you of this to help you realize that maybe just checking in to document your progress is not enough to insure your forever quit. If nothing else maybe come on to NOPE for the day to reaffirm your commitment to not smoke.

Edited by jillar
  • Like 9

Hi, @tocevoD. Glad to hear of your fresh resolve. Being an “occasional” smoker never worked for me, either… that’s just a bogus story that addicts spin to try and delude ourselves and others. Good on you for unmasking it. Stick close to the Train for positive reinforcement. Looking forward to having you around!

IMG_5065.JPG

• Like 6

@Brioski “Ok who’s making me talk like this? Lol I sound like a non smoker”  

LOL This ^  I LOVE IT! You are going to be okay. 

Go English GIF by Next Idiomas

@tocevoD ☘️Welcome! It’s great to see you back and ready to throw the cigarettes out for good this time. It will do you good to stay on this site as much as possible in the beginning. We are all here to help and would love to see you succeed!☘️

• Like 5

Congratulations on your quit and welcome aboard.

I can attest that it certainly helps me to come on here everyday and read, also knowing that if it got to a really rough patch all I’d need to do is post and wait is so reassuring.

Committing on the daily nope thread is also really helpful.

I look forward to gettIng to watch your success 😃

Edited by Molly2310
  • Like 6

• 3 months later...

I finally cracked it. 2 weeks and 18hrs in. I'm using an app to track my progress. Going the gym regularly so I feel the benefit there. Playing football with my 7yo son, feeling the benefit there. Better energy levels all round. Money in the pocket and not being wasted on the sticks of death is a massive factor in my quit, maybe not more than playing footy with my son but up there like. All in all feeling very good. And the bank balance is looking better without spending nigh on £60 per week to kill myself.

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, Brioski said:

Excellent toc!!! What are some tools you use when/if urges come on?  Proud of u!!

Still getting urges but I'd say I'm on the low end of the amount of them. Seeing the urges as just thoughts at the moment. I'd say I think about them 2 or 3 times a day. It's pretty easy to bat them away at the moment with the benefits being felt in other parts of my life. I bought Nicotine gum when I originally started this thread, and when I originally meant to pack it in in March. The gum is still there but I don't want to take any of it because I actually feel like I don't need it and I don't want to have nicotine in my body at this point and definitely not in the future. From previous experience the gun makes me feel as bad as I do when I was smoking. I used to suffer strong anxiety straight after and during a ciggie and I'd get the same feeling from the gum.

I feel confident this time. Feeling good.

• Like 7

I like your attitude tocevoD 👍 That really is half the battle (probably more than 1/2). Focusing on the positives you're seeing now and realizing just how bad smoking made you feel. Keep that train of thought and you'll be successful!!

• Like 5

On 7/17/2023 at 5:44 PM, tocevoD said:

Still getting urges but I'd say I'm on the low end of the amount of them. Seeing the urges as just thoughts at the moment. I'd say I think about them 2 or 3 times a day. It's pretty easy to bat them away at the moment with the benefits being felt in other parts of my life. I bought Nicotine gum when I originally started this thread, and when I originally meant to pack it in in March. The gum is still there but I don't want to take any of it because I actually feel like I don't need it and I don't want to have nicotine in my body at this point and definitely not in the future. From previous experience the gun makes me feel as bad as I do when I was smoking. I used to suffer strong anxiety straight after and during a ciggie and I'd get the same feeling from the gum.

I feel confident this time. Feeling good.

Hi Toc! Newbie here at 1 month. Catching up on your thread. I tried to be a few cigarettes a day smoker and no way was it working and I still felt sick and tired. It sounds as though you have made up your mind to stick to this quit! And I happen to agree any type of nico is going to feed the anxiety so best to go cold and done. Great work!! Stay close to these awsome people!

Edited by robin0212
  • Like 6

Sounds like you're doing great, Toc--keep up the fabulous work!!

It can be helpful at this point to think about and make some plans for situations in which your confidence wanes or if life throws you some curveballs.  Hopefully, these things won't happen, but if they do, you'll have some tactics to help you through. 

You're an inspiration, friend--

Christian99  

• Like 4

4 weeks in. Feeling good. Looking at smokers as victims rather than anything to be desired. Still getting thoughts but they're not strong thoughts. Thoughts that are easily batted away. The money saved is really bizarre. I was having, on average, 16 a day. My savings as displayed on the app I use for 4 weeks packed in is over £270. That is money back in my pocket rather than giving it to some faceless tobacco company employee or giving it to government taxes. No brainer isn't it.

• Like 3