Updates

Brioski

Hey Brioski,

Glad youre rolling along on freedom and self care.

Yay you.

Keep doing things that celebrate your independence from smoking.

I fall down on this myself.

This is a rough patch for me....every smoker i pass or see on TV sets off the URGE, nay desire....to inhale death. Crazy for certain. Still smoke free and grateful for that today.

Beat to all of us.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

More shortness of breath today, just got a big ass cry out.  I cried about how I have more trouble breathing as a nonsmoker than when I smoked, wtf!?  I cried about how I miss my dad so friggin much and how I hope he’s breathing freely now. I cried bc I have a stupid heart test and stress test tmrw (yea and how the hell am I gonna run or walk on the treadmill while I can’t breathe?).  I cried bc there are SO many friggin emotions that come out after stopping smoking, that it’s like woah who even am I? One thing I didn’t cry about…being a smoker lol. Ok ok I see the advantages of this positive thinking hooey 😂
I just wish I could friggin breathe!! It got better for quite a few weeks, now for a few days  I’m a wheezing machine that can’t take a deep breath. Maybe the pollen too. But this happen to others almost two months in? (Wow almost two months yee haw). 

Hi brioski, my shortness of breath started around the one month mark and lasted a few weeks. Your Dr should be able to prescribe a rescue inhaler if you don't already have one.

I believe you posted that you were in the hospital with breathing issues last year that caused your partner to quit smoking? I'd  maybe talk to your Dr about seeing a pulmonologist if your heart checks out fine. Better safe than sorry. Keep us posted,  we care.... 🤗 

• Like 1

Thanks Jilly ❤️  I have an appt with the pulmonologist in may, they scheduled me months out that’s how busy they are (I’m not crazy abt this guy either, met him in the hospital last year and wanted to throw my cup at him lol) but I should be able to get some answers.  Did your shortness of breath get better after those few weeks? I know u said you have some respiratory stuff so I hope your breathing is ok too. ❤️  
and thanks for saying you guys care, that was literally so sweet made me smile big. 

Yes it got better but I had done so much damage to my lungs before I quit that in January  of 2020 I caught something viral that caused respiratory failure. Since there was no test for covid at that time and it was barely making it's way around we kinda think that may have been it. 

Anyway, the pulmonologist at the hospital said I was severe emphysema and sent me home on oxygen. Been on it 24/7 since. Sadly I had been to my pulmonologist a week before this happened and had been complaining that I couldn't get a deep breath and he gave me a five day prescription of Azythromicin. Had he given prednisone along with it I would maybe not had lung failure but we'll never know now 😞

That doesn't mean that's what it is with you so keep positive and keep your quit!

• Like 1

If you go to the pulmonologist they will prescribe you Montelukast/Singulair ..... this drug has a black box warning the Doctor is probably not even aware of. Thousands of people are trying to get themselves and their kids off it without going crazy. 

There is a ton of info about it on this site and a group on facebook trying to help each other, in case anyone else here is on it. 

https://www.azfamily.com/2021/11/03/maker-popular-allergy-drug-not-required-study-long-term-mental-health-impact/

https://montelukastsideeffects.info/about-us/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/40378158644

I have been on ACS - Apple Cider Vinegar for a little over a week now and have to say I have not felt this good for years. I can breath deep again, no congestion or allergies, not one time having shortness of breath. Getting off all my prescribed medications finally.

https://nutritionofpower.com/nutrition/apple-cider-vinegar-treatment-fix-for-bronchial/

Edited by overcome

49 minutes ago, overcome said:

. Thousands of people are trying to get themselves and their kids off it without going crazy. 

That's not true overcome. I was on Montelukast for a few years and had no problem stopping it. There are many drugs for Asthma/COPD so chances are that she won't be prescribed that drug. Its all dependent on her symptoms. 

FYI, drinking apple cider vinegar daily can wear down your teeth enamel so be sure to rinse your mouth after taking it.

29 minutes ago, jillar said:

That's not true overcome. I was on Montelukast for a few years and had no problem stopping it. There are many drugs for Asthma/COPD so chances are that she won't be prescribed that drug. Its all dependent on her symptoms. 

FYI, drinking apple cider vinegar daily can wear down your teeth enamel so be sure to rinse your mouth after taking it.

Glad you had no problems with it. The links to the information about neurological problems is there for everyone to view and make their own determination. There is no stronger warning than a black box warning. The one facebook page of people (18k+) trying to find relief, just recently (by a Doctor article) in India was brought to light and the patients of India are now joining by the droves. 

I am aware of the acidity in ACV, I choose better breathing and take precautions, thank you. 

Edited by overcome

Thank you both!  I def only plan on taking meds my dr prescribes, and even then I do my own research and ask questions/advocate for my meds/health.  I’m on three diff meds for asthma and none of them are singular/mont. I’ll have to read up on acv, but won’t be just taking something bc my internet friend told me to, no offense overcome 😂. Thank you for thinking of me. 
I just got home and was able to do my tests, treadmill included 😂. Now for a Wendy’s cheeseburger lolol. 
hope you’re all having a good day

• Like 1

Wise girl and yay for you glad you got through the tests.

I only bring up ACV as an option because so far has worked well for me and a warning about the Singular med so you are aware to make a better decision. Have a great day. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is ridiculous, I’ve been having crave after crave after crave yesterday and today. I keep reading and reading, understanding this addiction and repeat positive mindset mantras but I’m still craving, bad.  Like thinking this isn’t the right quit for me, after my pulmonologist appt in May I may fall back, I know it sounds silly. This just sucks how I’m feeling, it almost hurts at times. I’ve felt worse since quitting….mentally, physically, I thought once quit you’re supposed to feel amazing? And after 2 months what gives?  I’ve contemplated buying a 0% nic vape to help curb it, I don’t know. It’s positive that I’m posting and that I know, also using my tools.  BAC, deep breaths, food, water, coffee, reading, distractions, walks. I feel like nothings working. WTH!!! 

Like thinking this isn’t the right quit for me, after my pulmonologist appt in May I may fall back, I know it sounds silly. 

B...This is the addiction monster trying to lure you back into the trap.

If it didn't get better none of us oldies would be here ..

You are still very early in your quit 

Be patient ,your body is going through some major changes ..

Vaping is taking a step back ..your lungs are healing ..

Try some regular gum to keep your mouth busy..and JAC to keep your hands busy ..

Keep your precious quit ..!!

• Like 3

@Brioski, I had just as bad a quit as you're having and I can tell you straight up to keep going through these sucky days because the light is at the end and once through that's it. Done! Two months is such a small amount of time when you look at how long you've been smoking. Give yourself a break. 

It's ok to feel like crap, it won't be forever....................

• Like 3

Hey, @Brioski. You are not crazy. Quitting is a big/hard job that can be really painful at times.

Everyone’s experience is different, but personally speaking I have yet to experience anything resembling quitting euphoria… no sunshine and rainbows and frolicking smoke-free unicorns gamboling about while a choir of nonsmoking angels sings. My soundtrack is more like crying and screaming and cussing, LOL.

BUT….

I am still here. And so are you, my dear. Take pride in what you’ve achieved and have hope.

Doreen and Jillar are 100% right that no long term quitters would be here if it didn’t get better. It does, if you stick with it.

So stick with it! Find your ferocity. Get support for whatever sorrows, anxiety or aggravations you are experiencing in your life. (Because sorrows, anxiety and aggravations will NOT diminish due to smoking… smoking just makes us feel more sh**ty on top of them.) Smoking never resolved an argument with my mate, cured an illness, prevented the death of a loved  one, solved a work problem, or filled a void inside of me that needed my loving attention. All smoking ever did was pour poison into a suffering soul. No more!! We are breaking that cycle of addiction.

Cravings happen - your measure of success can’t be absence of cravings. (Cuz if that were the goal, I’d be flunking!) Success is about waving those lousy cravings off and focusing on other things - not giving them power. 

Your staying quit so far PROVES you can do this!! It will get easier if you allow yourself to heal over time. 

You are stronger than you think you are…

C2T4.gif

Edited by DenaliBlues
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So stick with it! Find your ferocity. Get support for whatever sorrows, anxiety or aggravations you are experiencing in your life. (Because sorrows, anxiety and aggravations will NOT diminish due to smoking… smoking just makes us feel more sh**ty on top of them.) Smoking never resolved an argument with my mate, cured an illness, prevented the death of a loved  one, solved a work problem, or filled a void inside of me that needed my loving attention. All smoking ever did was pour poison into a suffering soul. No more!! We are breaking that cycle of addiction.

^^ This ^^

• Like 3

Thank you friends for taking the time to write to me. Your words have a lot of power, I’m realizing my abstinence has a lot of power too, just forget it sometimes and get these bad craves where smoking really seems like the answer. Thank u. I’m gonna keep chugging along.

• Like 4

Sorry that I’m late to this assist. You are awesome @Brioski! You are doing the smartest thing you can do by getting on here and posting your way through your crave and riding out the anger, frustration, and pain. Peace is coming your way. I promise. 
Breathe GIF by Denyse®

• Like 4

@Brioski understand what you are fighting and understand that you are always in control.  The tobacco industry chemically programmed you to crave their product.  Now you have to mentally reprogram yourself to not crave their product.  You are not flawed because you quit and now fell like hell.  I was hating myself, the world and everyone in it for quite a few months after I quit.  I think most people do which is why so few of us succeed.  So what you are going through can be considered normal give the circumstance.  Stay focused on the goal and stay in control.. It's ok to crave, that's part of the process.  Acknowledge it and try to move on.  Don't give it life.  I walked it off most of the time.  Sounds way to simple I know but it worked.  Me walking down the road cussing at the world like a crazy homeless guy got me through.  Find your quirk and use it to your advantage.  Love yourself enough to see it through.  

• Like 6

@Brioski Hello. how is is it going now? 

Not a native english speaker here. and I make an effort to talk to you ,Brioski, and all, 

hm I imagine in a couple of days, since I quit yesterday, I'll be starting my personal style of communicating, which is confessional - self-pity kind of thing - looking for solace.

------

go brioski, your quit and sticking to it is directly correlated to the words of the members in this forum and in this thread. that is how I feel about your quit. directly correlated means that after you show some strenght,and/or while you show some strength, by posting or doing something else means that you are strong, you atract the strong people - that is what is happening on this thread. I don't know you Brioski and lately I find that people trully are diferent from each other. to each its own quirks. and they are many!?

• Like 2

I’m ok this morning, just made my coffee and hanging out on the train. Yoda I liked what u said abt the homeless man on the road cursing, bc that’s literally what I’ve been doing w my driveway walking up and down it cursing anything and everything…I’m convinced my dog thinks I’m crazy.  Jill, Dor, and Denali your posts so helped me. Thank u. 
Gus I don’t think I told you but I loved how you said you get tickled when I’ve cursed my way through another crave lol. I need to get tickled by that too.  
I’ve been trying to eat healthier and we have, me and the hubs, but yesterday and the day before were killer w cravings so I pounded some cheez-its, bread, chocolate, etc. and ya know what I don’t care lol. I had stupid fish last night so hopefully that evened itself out-ish. 
I wish you peace w your quit Pedro, you can do it. One thing that’s helped me is a big analog clock in my house, helps to glance at it and realize you’ve conquered another half hour, hour, 2 hrs, etc. 
Thanks guys for the encouragement everyone, sometimes that’s what I need I guess. I do feel bad sometimes coming here to vent bc it all sounds like the same thing after a while, how annoying is that lol. 
Oh well, choo choo.

• Like 5