Phantosmia -

Kate18

This has occasionally driven me nuts.  Especially when it first started happening. It started a few months ago.  Is anyone else having this?

I smell cigarette smoke sometimes, when there is nothing there.  It has happened at work. It has happened in my apartment and car. It has happened when I was shopping in a store. It has even happened while walking in the park with my dog, Sofia. 

At first, I'd think that someone was near me or had walked by me and that person was a smoker. It's happened often enough and in such a variety of locations and situations, that I think I'm imagining it.  I Googled it, and apparently it is called phantosmia. 

I have tinnitus, so I hear something that isn't there. I supposed it's logical to think that I could be smelling something that isn't there, too.  If I'm going to smell something that isn't there, why couldn't it be a pine forest on a hot summer day (childhood memory), instead of my old, dirty, smelly habit?  One of life's mysteries.

I'm going to work on that pine tree scent. I had summer weeks in the Sawtooth Mountains at a cabin when I was a child. I remember the scent. I long for the scent. I'm going to work on having that scent, instead of cigarette smoke.

life pine GIF

• Like 4

This happens to me sometimes. Not too often. Mine is more of a stale smoke odor. Not strong. Just a wisp. Totally mental. I would love to exchange that odor for the scent of Magnolia or Wisteria blooms. 

Edited by Gus
Spelling correction
  • Like 2

Yes - comes and goes like once every few days.

Until I read your post though I was just imagining it. 

Like Gus, kind of a stale smoke smell, who knew it was a thing. 

And I grew up in Spanaway so am familiar with and miss the pine tree scent. 

Edited by overcome
  • Like 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantosmia

Phantosmia (phantom smell), also called an olfactory hallucination or a phantom odor,[1] is smelling an odor that is not actually there. It can occur in one nostril or both.[2] Unpleasant phantosmia, cacosmia, is more common and is often described as smelling something that is burned, foul, spoiled, or rotten.[3] Experiencing occasional phantom smells is normal and usually goes away on its own in time.[4] When hallucinations of this type do not seem to go away or when they keep coming back, it can be very upsetting and can disrupt an individual's quality of life.[2]

Interesting......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/temporal-lobe-seizure/expert-answers/phantosmia/faq-20058131

I think this is correct, Covid-19 can cause Phantosmia. At least I think this is why I have it more so than from quitting smoking. 

I have been fighting since May of last year, Long Covid and it has been terrible (thought I was going to die or never get better). I did not start feeling better until I quit going to and taking the advise of regular Doctors.

Started doing my own research and reading what the "ousted" Doctors were saying.  Finally following some of their (non approved) treatment plans, I am finally on track to being myself again and feeling stronger every day.

As the virus seemed to be jumping around creating havoc inside me, this is when I noticed the phantosmia. I will try to keep better track of when or if it happens again, now that I know it is a thing. 

Edited by overcome

On 2/24/2023 at 7:12 AM, overcome said:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/temporal-lobe-seizure/expert-answers/phantosmia/faq-20058131

I think this is correct, Covid-19 can cause Phantosmia. At least I think this is why I have it more so than from quitting smoking. 

I have been fighting since May of last year, Long Covid and it has been terrible (thought I was going to die or never get better). I did not start feeling better until I quit going to and taking the advise of regular Doctors.

Started doing my own research and reading what the "ousted" Doctors were saying.  Finally following some of their (non approved) treatment plans, I am finally on track to being myself again and feeling stronger every day.

As the virus seemed to be jumping around creating havoc inside me, this is when I noticed the phantosmia. I will try to keep better track of when or if it happens again, now that I know it is a thing. 

Interesting about Covid causing phantosomia.  I wonder if I've had Covid, after all. 

I've heard the long-Covid is rough.  It's so unpredictable, or seems to be. I know people who have had Covid two and even three times. I work as a grocery store cashier a mile from a major medical center. Sick people all around me on a daily basis. More than half the staff have had it--some twice. Somehow, I've escaped, or maybe was not symptomatic enough to notice. 

There is a substance I've been taking since ~ 2015, N-acetylcysteine (NAC). It's an anti-inflammatory that is used in hospitals for liver inflammation and by people with asthma or other lung inflammatory processes. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, or not.  It's now one of the treatments for Covid. It's an inexpensive generic, over the counter in the US. I've taken it for bipolar depression (wasn't very effective), and as a stroke-preventative (it has anti-clotting effect).

Smoking reportedly causes inflammation.  I've thought that, while I was smoking, maybe NAC helped reduce some of cigarettes' harm. 

"NAC (N-acetyl-L-cysteine) helps prevent viruses and bacteria from adhering to the lining of the lungs. Data show that NAC reduces excess airway mucus, lowers inflammation, supports pulmonary function, and inhibits infectious colonization. Scientifically reviewed by: Dr. Gary Gonzalez, MD, in May 2022."

• Like 1

Seems like the phantosomia is less frequent lately. I have been taking tons of vitamins/supplements and  "NAC (N-acetyl-L-cysteine) is one of them. (insert thumbs up here).

My covid 19 case was mild and felt fine after a few days, then months later all the sudden I could not breath, felt like I had a bad flu, any exertion put me into an almost asthma like attack. After many Doctors and plans, one Dr. finally told me this is being caused by Covid (but could not put it in writing) ......... that is when I started my own research dropped the Doctors and found Long Covid (all my symptoms).

After 2 days of taking the ivermectin I could breathe again and the recovery process started. Then I added all the vitamins and supplements suggested that have been helping a lot. What a ride this has been glad to be on the upswing now. 

https://covid19criticalcare.com/

Edited by overcome
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, overcome said:

Seems like the phantosomia is less frequent lately. I have been taking tons of vitamins/supplements and  "NAC (N-acetyl-L-cysteine) is one of them. (insert thumbs up here).

My covid 19 case was mild and felt fine after a few days, then months later all the sudden I could not breath, felt like I had a bad flu, any exertion put me into an almost asthma like attack. After many Doctors and plans, one Dr. finally told me this is being caused by Covid (but could not put it in writing) ......... that is when I started my own research dropped the Doctors and found Long Covid (all my symptoms).

After 2 days of taking the ivermectin I could breathe again and the recovery process started. Then I added all the vitamins and supplements suggested that have been helping a lot. What a ride this has been glad to be on the upswing now. 

https://covid19criticalcare.com/

Wow, I appreciate knowing this. Thanks for posting it. If I become ill down the road, I'll have something to consider. Glad you're better.  

Thank you - I came across this video on Ivermectin which helped push me into getting some. I am so thankful I quit listening to the doctors/experts.

https://rumble.com/vn8v7a-india-govt.-declares-most-populated-state-officially-covid-free-after-wides.html

I bet this is a familiar sight in Seattle, used to be my view every morning at my school bus stop, painting from Paul Chalk, he used to have a gallery up on the Mountain.

raineer.jpg

Edited by overcome