Relapse: I Just Can't Do It Right Now. I Know I'll Quit Again..., Back In The Saddle?

I Know I'll Quit Again

Video discusses the risk of allowing yourself to relapse using the logic that you can always simply just quit again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHp8yFnHbZQ

Get Right Back In The Saddle?

Still quit right away but figure out what went wrong and what happened so it doesn't happen again. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcEzzFM6c7A

"Well at least I attempted to quit smoking.  That's better than not trying to quit at all."

This comment was stated by a clinic participant who, after five days of not smoking, gave in to an urge and took a cigarette.  It was only going to be one cigarette, he thought.  But by the end of the day, he was up to his old level.  So what about his logic that at least trying to quit smoking is better than not trying at all?

If this was his first attempt, it could be said that it was a learning experience.  Maybe he just didn't understand the concept of addiction.  He did not believe one cigarette could reestablish a physical dependency on nicotine.  After taking one cigarette, he lost all control.  So now, if he would ever quit again,  he would not question the concept of one cigarette causing a total relapse.

But this was not his first attempt quitting.  It was his second time in our clinic, as well as multiple previous attempts at other programs, hypnosis and on his own.  He once quit for two months before relapsing.  At that time he broke all physical dependency on nicotine.  Also, after two months he successfully overcame many trigger situations which cause many smokers to initially relapse.  Work pressures, family problems, and social situations are obstacles that all ex-smokers initially face when quitting.  He overcame all of these trigger situations.  But then, one day, out of sheer boredom, he took a cigarette.  In that attempt, too, he relapsed right back to his old level.  Obviously, taking that cigarette was a serious mistake.

This attempt, too, he chalked up to experience.  But when considering his latter attempts, it is apparent that he learned nothing.  Unless he objectively evaluates what causes his relapses to smoking, he is wasting his time trying to quit again.  Because instead of recognizing his past attempts as failures, he rationalizes a positive feeling of accomplishment about them.  This type of rationalization all but assures failures in all future attempts.

Don't allow yourself to get into the same rut as this man did.  On again, off again, one withdrawal after another.  Quitting smoking is only the first step in smoking cessation.

http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_03_11_at_least_i_tried.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There is a junkie whisper in my ear that tells me lies like this. " You can quit again. It's easy. Take a break from being so strict. It is like getting drunk. The next day you don't keep drinking. You can do the same with smoking. Who is going to know? "

:( nice try. Nope.

• Like 5

I can see where your coming from with this...... and now it makes more sense what you were saying in that last thread. 

I guess I kinda think of my past relapses as being intentional, deliberate acts that I chose to do.  The ONLY reason that I smoked was because I wanted to.  There was no reason other than that. 

At this point now, I have to think to myself that they are excuses.  Cause for me, mentally, if one reason is justifiable enough for me to smoke, then I can justify another to be just as good.   Does that make sense ? 

I guess some people do need to evaluate their reasoning for relapse.  I just always thought it was because one wasn't willing to go through whatever it takes to get where they want to be.  At least that is what it was for me.  Key word.... "was"

But I do see the logic in what your saying now.  Relapsing is not a learning curve.  Although you can learn from it, it is not necessary in order to develop a successful quit.

• Like 5

Tiffany, you just made my day!!!!  :)  My relapse was 100% intentional and subconsciously planned.  I knew it but was in denial because I was still believing in the cigarette.  I sure learned from that huge debacle! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvHl-zwUdBo

I can see where your coming from with this...... and now it makes more sense what you were saying in that last thread. 

I guess I kinda think of my past relapses as being intentional, deliberate acts that I chose to do.  The ONLY reason that I smoked was because I wanted to.  There was no reason other than that. 

At this point now, I have to think to myself that they are excuses.  Cause for me, mentally, if one reason is justifiable enough for me to smoke, then I can justify another to be just as good.   Does that make sense ? 

I guess some people do need to evaluate their reasoning for relapse.  I just always thought it was because one wasn't willing to go through whatever it takes to get where they want to be.  At least that is what it was for me.  Key word.... "was"

But I do see the logic in what your saying now.  Relapsing is not a learning curve.  Although you can learn from it, it is not necessary in order to develop a successful quit.

Great post-I too would debate having one for up to a week before "caving", all because I didn't want to quit so I kept blowing my quits till the day came I figured either quit for good  (or shit or get off the pot) or just smoke my way into a fatal heartattack. :dash2:  :dash2: 

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 8/2/2014 at 1:36 AM, MarylandQuitter said:

I Know I'll Quit Again

Video discusses the risk of allowing yourself to relapse using the logic that you can always simply just quit again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHp8yFnHbZQ

Get Right Back In The Saddle?

Still quit right away but figure out what went wrong and what happened so it doesn't happen again. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcEzzFM6c7A

"Well at least I attempted to quit smoking.  That's better than not trying to quit at all."

This comment was stated by a clinic participant who, after five days of not smoking, gave in to an urge and took a cigarette.  It was only going to be one cigarette, he thought.  But by the end of the day, he was up to his old level.  So what about his logic that at least trying to quit smoking is better than not trying at all?

If this was his first attempt, it could be said that it was a learning experience.  Maybe he just didn't understand the concept of addiction.  He did not believe one cigarette could reestablish a physical dependency on nicotine.  After taking one cigarette, he lost all control.  So now, if he would ever quit again,  he would not question the concept of one cigarette causing a total relapse.

But this was not his first attempt quitting.  It was his second time in our clinic, as well as multiple previous attempts at other programs, hypnosis and on his own.  He once quit for two months before relapsing.  At that time he broke all physical dependency on nicotine.  Also, after two months he successfully overcame many trigger situations which cause many smokers to initially relapse.  Work pressures, family problems, and social situations are obstacles that all ex-smokers initially face when quitting.  He overcame all of these trigger situations.  But then, one day, out of sheer boredom, he took a cigarette.  In that attempt, too, he relapsed right back to his old level.  Obviously, taking that cigarette was a serious mistake.

This attempt, too, he chalked up to experience.  But when considering his latter attempts, it is apparent that he learned nothing.  Unless he objectively evaluates what causes his relapses to smoking, he is wasting his time trying to quit again.  Because instead of recognizing his past attempts as failures, he rationalizes a positive feeling of accomplishment about them.  This type of rationalization all but assures failures in all future attempts.

Don't allow yourself to get into the same rut as this man did.  On again, off again, one withdrawal after another.  Quitting smoking is only the first step in smoking cessation.

http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_03_11_at_least_i_tried.html

Bump

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I often think of new posters who come here with great intentions and disappear quickly.

They may feel a bit of awkwardness in coming back here and I want to alleviate any discomfort they may feel.

We don't care about your previous attempts, we care about you quitting.  We want to see you build a successful quit NOW.

Nicotine addiction can be put to sleep and you can enjoy better health both physically and mentally.

Please, don't hesitate.  Don't leave quitting smoking until it is too late for you and for your family.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...