Fantasy books

Molly2310

I like the fantasy genre, too. Here are a few oldies-but-goodies that I’ve enjoyed more than once:

- The Belgariad series by David Eddings. 5 books, starts with Pawn of Prophecy. Not the most masterful writing, but very compelling characters, wry humor and a wonderful coming-of-age tale. 

-Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams. Starts with the Dragonbone Chair. Dense, but beautiful prose. 

- Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb. First book is Assassin’s Apprentice. A riveting mixture of light and dark. There are 10 more books after that, mini-series with common themes and crossover characters. Super imaginative.

- Brother Cadfael medieval mysteries by Ellis Peters. Yep, not fantasy. But reading these was super soothing early in my quit. A salty old monk solving riddles with a witty and cunning sidekick. What’s not to love? 

Hey DenaliBlues, I’ve read and love Belgariad, the characters are awesome in that series.  I’ve also read the Farseer trilogy and loved it.  I’ve not read the other two, I’ll look them up, thank you 😃

Have you read the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson?  The Thomas Covenant books by Stephen Donaldson, it’s dark and heavy but I got so hooked on that a few years ago?

I’ve read the Thomas Covenants (a bit too dark for me) but I had forgotten about the Mistborns… I always meant to read those but haven’t yet - thanks for the reminder! 

During my early quit, re-reading some familiar books was soothing to my troubled soul. So I re-read the Cadfaels and the Belgariad plus the Lloyd Alexander Black Cauldron books and the Harper trilogy by Anne McAffrey. Comfort food. 

• 3 months later...