Drivin' in my car......

beazel

Driving in my car was a tough spot for me on my quit journey.

I didn't smoke in my house, but I did smoke in my car so I immediately lit up when I got in the car.

I started off with Blow Pops (which worked great), but, I was diagnosed with diabetes 8 months into my quit, so I had to come up with another plan.

I love to sing in the car and I remembered that singing while smoking burnt the crap out of my throat so I burned a CD with 3 songs on it - 1. American Pie 2. Stairway To Heaven 3. Bohemian Rhapsody. So I would sing.

Honestly, American Pie was normally all it took to get me past any massive craves, but there were the rare occasions I needed to sing longer so I was prepared.

**I'm an old lady so these songs may not be relevant to some (any long songs will do)**

Having a plan for different situations is very helpful.

For newbies and those still struggling - You can do it - You will find strength you never knew you had, so dig deep - stay committed - Smoking Is Not An Option   No Matter What

Everyone here understands. Reach out. Talk about how you are doing - even on those bad days. Especially on those bad days!

How are you doing?    What are some of your plans that are working for you?

KTQ

• Like 5

LOL @beazel, love the image of your rocking out to Bohemian Rhapsody. (Bizmillah No!!)  Driving wasn’t my trigger, but sitting out on my back porch was, still is. One thing I did to break the association was to sniff my butt jar - a nasty old mustard jar that I used to cram full of cigarette ends. It smelled totally foul, even to a smoker’s nose. Anyway, I kept it for about 6 mos and when I would get a strong craving I’d crack it open and take a whiff. Super gross, DIY aversion therapy. But now I’m thinking that serenading the squirrels might be the next thing to try. 

• Like 4