As a non-smoker, "Thank You for Not Smoking" signs make me want to be thanked for other stuff I'm not doing.

4021010372_a4bf268988_o_zpsb8309e92.jpg

So for those of you who do know me, hello again friends. For those of you who don't, it's a pleasure to meet you.

BACK STORY: So I don't know who does and doesn't know me, but my name is Jesse (sometimes referred to as HAT here), and I am 27 years old. When I was 19, I kind of got screwed in a situation where I was arrested for a misdemeanor charge of POM. Possession of Marijuana. I don't smoke marijuana, and can count on both hands how many times I have done it. Legally, I still am under the 'experimental phase' user category. It never really mattered or did anything for me, and as many of the people who know me here, I prefer alcohol anyway. :D

Needless to say, even though that charge was dismissed and my record is quite clean, it has kept me from some opportunities, namely, military service here in the states. Anyway, fast forward to about two weeks ago, a girl I used to date and have maintained a friendship with just swore into the U.S. Navy. The kicker is, this girl, got a DUI or DWI a couple of years ago, I don't remember exactly which it was, but nevertheless that sucks a lot. She cleaned up her act, and swore in with the military. After talking to her about it briefly, she offered her recruiters information to me, saying that he might be able to help me. After talking with him on the phone and relinquishing my medical and criminal records to him, he assured me that I pre-qualified for the service. As some may know, this comes as an amazing opportunity for me, and could really be the catalyst for getting me where I would like to be in life.

After meeting with him, he weighed and measured me, and concluded that although I am over my weight limit for entry for my height; that all I would have to do is lose one inch around my waist and he could get me in no problem. He is basing it off of body fat percentage, not just my body weight/height ratio. That is amazing news, I know it'll be work, but one inch for a young male shouldn't be to difficult to lose. After that, I get to take the pre-qualifying test, then the placement exam, then go through MEPS, swear in, and ship off to BMT. Easy enough I suppose, right? Needless to say I am incredibly excited about this potential opportunity that could finally get me where I want and need to be for myself, as well as my daughter.

Since I have a child, and her mother and I are not married (separated), he said that I qualify for the Reserves. As I would prefer to go Active Duty, I understand the reasoning for that, and after a year or two of Reserve service, I would automatically qualify for Active Duty enlistment. Yay!

Yesterday, I acquired a phone app called 'Couch to 5K in 9 Weeks', and started that immediately. As well, I have been walking when I can to lose this inch. I started the Couch to 5K yesterday, afterwards I walked about 6 miles. Tonight I just walked over a mile, and tomorrow I will be doing the next part of the Couch to 5K program; in which, I plan to do at least a bit of a walk after I complete that.

PROBLEMS AND COMPLICATIONS: Well, we are pretty much all here for the same reason, and this is mine. While walking tonight, I decided that there was no way I could continue to really work out at my best, or survive boot camp if I don't give up smoking. There just is no way. As most of you could understand, my lungs are not in tip top shape after years of smoking. Even running for 8 minutes is a struggle, and that isn't even consecutively. This is an opportunity that I want to take, and considering my age, my be my last chance. So I have decided that the smoking once again, HAS GOT TO GO. It is about 10:30pm right now, in about an hour, I am going to go outside and smoke a couple of cigarettes and throw the rest of the pack away. As stated before, this could be my last chance to grasp an opportunity like this, and I refuse to not give it my best shot.

Of course this is my battle, and we all have our own. I have to maintain the willpower and want to quit for this to be successful, but from my vast experience with failed attempts, I know that the people here will be a serious support group when I need it most. I know that my best chance to succeed in quitting has to involve those also fighting the battle. So I am back, I will stub my last smoke out at midnight tonight and continue on with this amazing chance that I may be able to get. I know those here will be supportive regardless of how this opportunity pans out, but either way, the cigarettes have got to go. I appreciate all of you for all your support that I know will come along, and for taking the time to read my long diatribe. haha From my last failed attempt this past March, I now know for certain, and cannot argue the point at all, that NOPE is the only way. Not one cigarette. This opportunity, and my life are more important than even ONE cigarette.

• Like 10

Hey Jesse. Good to see you again.

Everyone has their own motivations to quit.

Personally, the fact that smoking cigarettes gives you an appalling life and even worse death probably beats all else.

I guess the question I would ask is

"What's different this time? What have you learned?"

I believe that you absolutely can quit. However, not because the military is better than a smoke.

Everything is better than a smoke. You are better than a smoke. A smoke gives you NOTHING! I believe that understanding this is critical.

Welcome aboard the Quit Train Jesse! it's great to have you here.

• Like 1

Jesse you are in control

You know the drill, NOPE

Stop disappearing, we cannot support you if you are not here and telling us what's going on

Want to quit, then stay and let's see this through together you are not alone here

This is it this time no more fannying around ;)

Welcome back :)

• Like 3

That sounds like an amazing opportunity and exactly what you've been waiting for.

Have you got plans in place now for how you can handle the craves? A list of all the reasons (not just this one) you don't want to smoke written to carry with you?  

• Like 1

Great to see you back, HAT!  When you go AWOL, we pretty much know why.

You're right, this might be your last chance so do whatever it takes to quit.  It's 0345 here so I assume you've choked down those last two smokes by now so you've already quit smoking.  I like the fact that you have to drop some weight because you're going to see how crucial it will be to quit smoking during this process, as you've already started to feel.

Part of me wants to kick your ass because you've known all along what smoking was doing to you and you're daughter needs you around for many decades to come, yet part of me is very happy for you to have this opportunity to join the Reserves which could lead to a very nice career which will not only provide you and your daughter some great benefits, but also give you a whole new perspective on life.  Don't squander this opportunity.

Have you pre-responded to your own S.O.S.?  Even if you have already, I would do so again because you now have a different mindset, your goals have changed and life is now taking you in a new direction.  You already know what to expect when you quit so what's your plan to stay quit this time?  If you don't have one, that's okay because all you need to do is never light another cigarette, ever.  However, making some sort of plan and being prepared for areas in which you've failed in the past could make a huge difference this time.

When you get a chance, list the concerns that you have that may lead you back to smoking.  If you don't have any, that's okay too because if you're mind is truly made up and you want to quit smoking more than you want to continue to suffer and smoke, nothing will stop you from quitting.  Be realistic and honest with yourself though.  If you have any concerns at all, especially areas in which you failed in the past, share them so we can help. 

I guarantee is there is a solution for anything that may come between you and quitting.

Glad to see you back.  :)

• Like 4

So ... how long 'til you disappear this time?

A support group can't possibly work for you without your presence and participation.

The Sarge suggests that maybe you want to stick around ... y'know ... for a while at least...

Easy Peasy

• Like 4

" While walking tonight, I decided that there was no way I could continue to really work out at my best, or survive boot camp if I don't give up smoking. There just is no way. As most of you could understand, my lungs are not in tip top shape after years of smoking. Even running for 8 minutes is a struggle, and that isn't even consecutively. This is an opportunity that I want to take, and considering my age, my be my last chance. So I have decided that the smoking once again, HAS GOT TO GO.  "

I don't see how wanting to "lose an inch" and gaining more lung capacity to run better could possibly provide you with more motivation than just quitting for young daughter's sake? It got to the point for me where I could not even look into my daughter's eyes and not experience so much daily guilt. But hey, whatever works for you.

• Like 4

Dear Hat,

Quit f*cking around... this is your life we are talking about.

Don't smoke... whatever you have to do... don't smoke.  Easy Peasy right Sarge.  Make a plan for cravings and KEEP MOVING FORWARD in your quit.  Stop torturing yourself.

Thanks for stopping by...maybe this time you will stay.

Keep on keepin on.... with a non smoking life.

• Like 3

Wow, that sounds like a great opportunity HAT and you are very lucky to have the chance to get a waiver on the misdemeanor because the Army is scaling down and pushing people out big time. 

Let us know your progress and stick to the board this time around. 

• Like 2

For those asking about a plan to combat cravings, I really don't have one. I generally don't have any cravings when I quit. I just plan on drinking lots of cranberry juice, and working out (which is a new factor in my quit step), and generally just keeping myself busy, Already half a day down right now, easy peasy as Sarge says. And speaking of the Sarge. We generally butt heads, but I 100% agree with his post this time. This is only effective for me if I stick around. I know I can do it. I really do start to go down hill entering 'No Mans Land'. Everytime.

And Armed, I know what you mean, guilt is a powerful thing, but so is nicotine. There was one day a short while ago, my daughter was playing with a NERF dart, a little plastic toy. And she kept putting it in her mouth, and so I asked her what she was doing, and she said, "Putting it in my mouth like daddy, those white things, with the fire." And my heart SANK. I felt like the absolutely shittiest person ever. So trust me I understand. I told myself then, that this bad habit had to go.

• Like 2

"And Armed, I know what you mean, guilt is a powerful thing, but so is nicotine. There was one day a short while ago, my daughter was playing with a NERF dart, a little plastic toy. And she kept putting it in her mouth, and so I asked her what she was doing, and she said, "Putting it in my mouth like daddy, those white things, with the fire." And my heart SANK. I felt like the absolutely shittiest person ever. So trust me I understand. I told myself then, that this bad habit had to go."

One of the first times I heard my daughter say my name is when she put her hand on my Camel lights(which I thought I hid from her) and she said, "DADDY's". She never even seen me smoke before and she was like 1 1/2!

I quit 5 days later.

• Like 4

Welcome back, hope ye stick around, do it right this time, commit to nope and don't break it, otherwise you will waste the opportunity you are been giving and your daughter is getting older everyday and she will be disappointed and upset that you are chosing to smoke and head six foot under far sooner, instead of choosing her. Stop being selfish HAT this will be your only chance to do what you've always wanted to do, get rid of the death sticks and don't give in soo easily this time, stay away from the alcohol,

Choose your life, daughter and career over an early grave, I know which I would pick, stop letting your girl down, girls need their daddy to protect and keep them safe and keep all those dirty horny boys away from them.

We all want nothing more than to see you succeed, you can do It pet x

Sue (jajasue)

• Like 2

Thank you everyone who has commented so far. I just got back from a 2.5 mile run/walk....damn smoker lungs. :/ haha I blame myself. Feel good, about to take a shower and get ready for work in awhile. Working a very short shift today. As far as the NoSmo, 14 hours down and looking pretty good right now.

• Like 2

There was one day a short while ago, my daughter was playing with a NERF dart, a little plastic toy. And she kept putting it in her mouth, and so I asked her what she was doing, and she said, "Putting it in my mouth like daddy, those white things, with the fire." And my heart SANK. I felt like the absolutely shittiest person ever. So trust me I understand. I told myself then, that this bad habit had to go.

Please.... spot the wrong word in that paragraph.

A clue... it is near the end of the paragraph...

welcome back now stay awhile and kick this shit to the curb!!! You have a great opportunity and do it for yourself and do it for your daughter and do it for your career just keep reminding yourself why it is important to quit whatever the reason is that helps you stay quit and do not smoke period.  

• Like 1

HAT, do you consider yourself a nicotine addict?  I'm asking because the words habit and addicted are tossed around a bit loosely and although smoking can be considered a nasty habit, we must all admit that we're addicted to nicotine and always will be.  This is why we can never, ever for the rest of our lives take another puff.

Everyone has to have their own true reason for wanting to quit-sure drs. telling you to quit cause you have health issues or husbands/wives/kids hammering at you to quit are "good" reasons to do BUT until its something you want MORE then anything-that is why we will fail. BUT now you have a chance to fulfil a dream so this should give you the kick in the butt to stay smoke free. :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

• Like 2

HAT, do you consider yourself a nicotine addict?  I'm asking because the words habit and addicted are tossed around a bit loosely and although smoking can be considered a nasty habit, we must all admit that we're addicted to nicotine and always will be.  This is why we can never, ever for the rest of our lives take another puff.

I sooooooooooooooooooo hated that term 'addict" I think alot will agree that being an addict is someone shooting up or whatever, & its "ALOT" nicer seeing smoking as "A bad habit" BUT bad habits can be broke in a month-addictions are forever. I think sometimes that was one of my roadblocks to getting cig free besides having a bitter altitude cause I was "forced"  to quit-wow its great realizing how that faulty thinking was keeping me addicted.

• Like 2

Hey Jesse

Let's get you into boot camp :)

Why not join the fitness thread too, there are some good runners and fitness gurus that will help 

May I suggest you do some exercises too that will help strengthen you

Press ups

Pull ups

Sit ups

That kind of thing

I Had an old saying - train hard-fight easy

Have set a date in mind to apply???

Just keep running you will get fit soon enough

Always follow your dreams I am so excited for you

A whole opportunity awaits you, your training will help with your quit

Go Jesse :)

• Like 1

This is the first i'm seeing this. I was happy I did until I saw the date.  It's been 5 days Jesse. 

Stop coming and going and just stay.  We can't help you and support you if you keep bopping in and out.

• Like 3