My home (in pictures) - keeping myself busy :)

action

So, last May we moved into our forever home and, while it was habitable, it was grubby, and I would guess that it hadn't seen any love for about 20 years - Every single room in the entire house was covered in wood-chip wallpaper which I imagin was putup sometime in the late 70's, early 80's... and it was a royal pain to take down...  Since I stopped smoking, I have had more money, time, energy, and motiviation to get things done.  Please bear in mind that I have never before done anything like this, and I watched videos on youtube, or read 'how to' atricles on the internet, spoke to friends, and then pretty much ignored everything and did what I wanted, lol.  For example not one roller has been used this entire time (I don't like the texture) - everything has been done painstakingly and loving by brush (thats probably why its taken me so long, lol).

So, here we are.  This is my home -

image_zps56b48a24.jpg

This is the hallway, we went for a nice grey (called Silver Bonnet), with white.  the theme for all of the pictures are black and white movie stars, all taken before either of us where born.  The carpet still needs to be replaced, but I haven't got around to that yet!

image_zps3039810d.jpg

image_zps83eaa075.jpg

image_zpsef213a76.jpg

This is the bedroom.  Tasha wanted a through the looking glass theme, so I let her have it, lol.  I told her I didn;t want it to be 'Disney' themed like a childs bedroom, but more contempary.  This was the most work, as the ceiling had to be skimmed, and the floorboards sanded, stained, varsnished.  Had to build a wardrobe, etc.  the first pciture is how it looked when we first went and saw the house, before we bought it (about 18 months ago, and is just to give you an idea of what I was upagainst.

image_zps02a94e53.jpg

image_zpsa76646e8.jpg

image_zpsf46a8746.jpg

image_zpsc9012965.jpg

and I can't resist, lol

image_zpse241fdfe.jpg

• Like 8

This is the lounge; the first picture is how it was just before we moved in.  Please pay special attention to the antler chandelier, lol -

image_zps45fa543e.jpg

image_zpsa1b9faf0.jpg

image_zps0944433b.jpg

image_zpse9a5c0ae.jpg

image_zps9ca552a5.jpg

This is the dining room; the first picture is how it was just before we moved in.  We chose the Grease artwork together in an art gallery in a local town – it is by a guy named JJ Adams, and is limited to 95 prints.  We now want to buy all of this stuff, but can’t afford it, lol

image_zps830dcc6f.jpg

image_zpsa0e21cdf.jpg

image_zpsfb823140.jpg

image_zps84403ef2.jpg

image_zpsca4cab0a.jpg

So, please tell me what you think? For example, I am sure that Bakon will love it, and Sharon will be missing the Blue ;)

Personally I am pleased, and Tasha is over the moon, so that is the important thing.  And now maybe I will have some time to myself, to enjoy the good weather :p

• Like 8

Awww...come on now, you are not a novice! Absolutely gorgeous and looks professional! 

Love the wall color in the hallway, and wish I could think of a room in my home to use it  :rolleyes:

We did our stairs last summer and what a job that was. We removed the carpet because we wanted to paint the steps and add just carpet runner down the center. Our home was built in 1902, so of course some of the steps needed to be replaced. Hubby had never replaced steps before. Thank God for youtube, lol.  Got them finished and love them. 

Isn't it a great feeling to see how your home comes together? Being able to say "we did it ourselves" is the icing on the cake.

Nice job! 

• Like 1

Ross your a man of many talents I see. I love the feel of those type houses.

You did a great job in the room make overs where as each room has its own identity! 

Now you can kick back relax and have a beer or wine!

Very nicely done! 

• Like 1

Awww...come on now, you are not a novice! Absolutely gorgeous and looks professional! 

Love the wall color in the hallway, and wish I could think of a room in my home to use it  :rolleyes:

We did our stairs last summer and what a job that was. We removed the carpet because we wanted to paint the steps and add just carpet runner down the center. Our home was built in 1902, so of course some of the steps needed to be replaced. Hubby had never replaced steps before. Thank God for youtube, lol.  Got them finished and love them. 

Isn't it a great feeling to see how your home comes together? Being able to say "we did it ourselves" is the icing on the cake.

Nice job! 

We want to do the same for the carpet - we will rip up whats there, and put in a red runner up the middle.  I haven't looked at the steps yet, but I'm hoping none need to be replaced.  Hopefully I can work with whats there, and get them looking good enough.  Our house was built in the late 18-something (I would guess around 1890), but I couldn;t say if the stairs are original or not (I would say they probably/hopefully are original).

It is great to say 'we did it ourselves' (that would be the royal we, of course, lol)

• Like 1

Great work Action!

Naturally Tash will now want to move...for which you need to redo everything in neutral....

You heard it here first.

She can move if she wants... I'm staying, lol

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the kind words.  It's nice to have guests round and not worry that the place looks bad (which is how I've always felt in the past).

I am still waiting for Bakons seal of approval, though ;)

Good job Ross.  Looks awesome and professionally done.

But...

Isn't that Harrison Ford pic from either The Temple of Doom or The Last Crusade?  I could be wrong.  He looks older in it. 

image_zps83eaa075.jpg

Good eye, but it's raiders of the lost arc, 1981 ;)

In fact, it's was a press photo taken for an article in a paper - I got the snipping from the paper too ;)

It is the most recent of all the photos though

• Like 2

Ross, it is just lovely...I keep looking through the pictures and noticing different details.  You did a marvelous job and should be very proud!  And if I were Tasha I would be over the moon, too!  I know you will enjoy entertaining friends and family, there.

• Like 1