Life as a non-smoker

John_Doe

A liitle over an hour ago I became a non-smoker. My last cig tasted awful. Like the first one. Right now I feel very good, well, a bit excited too. No cravings so far. Drinking a lot of water and I have some juice for the evening. So far so good. Will check in before going to bed. Or earlier in the SOS section, lol. But I highly doubt it. :)

• Like 12

What you need to do is to not focus on anything about smoking now.

Think about what you are going to buy yourself with the money you are going to save!

About the excersising you are going to do with your new level of energy you are going to have!

About how much better you going to be looking with whiter teeth and your cloths will not smell either!

About how much you are going to enjoy your new smoke free life!

Do not dwell on your smoking past, that is old news!

Very best of luck to you my friend!

• Like 3

You are doing it!!!! It always feels really big and amazing you are actually not smoking I think :)  

You're right to feel excited too. Some of this may feel mentally hard but remember it's only mental, not actual physical pain, and it ALWAYS passes! Always! 

Keep busy where you can, like Rez said, distracting yourself can really pass some time without you noticing as much. Great news you got water too. Maybe get something to chew or sweets or something to actually do in case you feel like you need to actually do something.

I'm really excited for you. Every hour now you are healing your body and even now, it is already trying to repair itself!!  These statistics are taken from whyquit and really inspired me to go hour by hour early days:

Within ...
  20 minutes Your blood pressure, pulse rate and the temperature of your hands and feet have returned to normal. 8 hours Remaining nicotine in your bloodstream has fallen to 6.25% of normal peak daily levels, a 93.75% reduction. 12 hours Your blood oxygen level has increased to normal. Carbon monoxide levels have dropped to normal. 24 hours Anxieties have peaked in intensity and within two weeks should return to near pre-cessation levels. 48 hours Damaged nerve endings have started to regrow and your sense of smell and taste are beginning to return to normal. Cessation anger and irritability will have peaked. 72 hours Your entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites (the chemicals it breaks down into) will now have passed from your body via your urine.  Symptoms of chemical withdrawal have peaked in intensity, including restlessness. The number of cue induced crave episodes experienced during any quitting day have peaked for the "average" ex-user. Lung bronchial tubes leading to air sacs (alveoli) are beginning to relax in recovering smokers. Breathing is becoming easier and your lung's functional abilities are starting to increase.
  • Like 2

excited is good :) - that means you know you are quitting not giving something up!

remember that last one tasted awful - as time goes by its harder to remember what it tasted like

get yourself to the pledge thread NOPE - Not One Puff Ever - if you do this everyday you have your lifetime quit

I am excited for you woohooo - doing back flips here for ya, well virtual ones if I did real ones I would do myself damage lol

lets get busy quiting yahooooo for you  :D

• Like 2

Congrats on making the best choice for your new life... awesome!!!! You can do it, and you will... one minute, hour, day at a time... quitting is totally doable, and you will never ever regret it.. Taking back your freedom is priceless, and taking back the control of an addiction is precious... protect your quit and keep yourself accountable... Way to go John!!!! Fight hard, and know every time you beat down a crave, a withdrawl, you are that much closer to staying smokefree..Not One Puff Ever { NOPE} You got this!

• Like 1

Thanks to all!

It's ~11 PM here. More than 10 hours have passed. I feel wonderful, but a bit dizzy. I think it's a healthy amount of oxygen is kicking in :) Had several cravings throughout the day, but they were really weak. Made them go away just by thinking about all the positive changes. Kept myself busy all day with random stuff. Exercises, movies, video games, talking to friends, taking a shower, music. It looks very promising this time. One more downside, my lungs feel like they are made from wood and sometimes I feel a slight pain. But I know this is just a part of a healing process and I need to be patient. I think I'll have a cup of fruit tea and go to sleep. Tomorrow awaits me!

• Like 3

Brilliant,

Loving your ticker;)

I use to love the dizziness from all the extra oxygen, free buzz lol

This is defo your final quit, fab attitude, good on ye, keep doing what your doing and remember to treat yourself everyday for first couple of weeks xx

• Like 2

That dizzy feeling could also be your blood sugars resettling, make sure you get some natural sugar, either from fruit juice (not sure fruit tea does the same) or maybe some actual fruit. Otherwise the dizziness turns to tiredness too and makes you moody :)

Way to go for quitting though!!!  Brilliant work.

How your lungs feel today is the worst they will ever feel, by day 3 and day 4 they feel lighter. Within a couple of weeks no more coughing. The body heals itself so quickly really :)

Doing great hun, how's today for you?

• Like 2

Doing great hun, how's today for you?

Yesterday was a really busy day and I was too tired to write something down in the evening. Well, in 3 hours it will be 48 hours mark for me. ONLY 48 HOURS? Jeez.

Ok, let's make a list of what I feel:

1) Still feel a little bit dizzy. Drinking juice and eating properly. Hope it will go back to normal soon.

2) Sleeping is hectic. Waking up every 2 hours with a strong feeling that I had enough of rest. 

3) Lungs feel better and I keep coughing up... echm... "stuff" :D

4) Haven't experienced any headaches or acid reflux since I quit. I guess you don't need pills, just quit smoking.

5) Today after I woke up I had the worst craving in two days. I don't know what caused it, but it lasted ~10 minutes. Washed it down with some loud music :D

6) All in all, besides some minor stuff, I feel awesome and don't see anything that can break my quit.

:)

• Like 2

Pleased your quit feels secure.  Also good to be busy, busy is great to pass time. Crave probably came on the downtime when you had relaxed and would normally have smoked. Now you at least know yourself it does pass and the more you dismiss the thought and think smoking is not an option, the quicker the craves pass.

The dizziness could well be the quit. However, do some basic checks. Is lithuania having a heatwave, could you need more fluids?  If it's quit related it will pass in a few days but don't overlook other things too is all I mean :)

Sleeping. What's you caffeine intake like? Smokers can process caffeine much quicker than non smokers. I literally had to more than half my intake, others told me it was like that for them. However day 1-3 could also be the effects of chemicals and nicotine leaving your system. Just goes to show what we were doing and we don't want to do it again. 

Lungs, coughing up stuff is better than keeping it, best I can offer in the way of help.

I think you're doing fab!!  I know it feels so slow right now, like only day 2....switch it around....2 days of freedom and onto number 3. Be patient with your quit and yourself my lovely, you are reversing years of damage and taking your life and health back - every day of that is a massive win!

Love the ticker!!

• Like 1

Hi J.D. -- welcome and congrats on your decision to quit! It's the best decision you can make. :)

I absolutely agree that attitude is everything... and you seem to have a really good one towards your quit! Keep that up. Quitting is mostly mental and staying positive will make things easier.

The physical changes are quite shocking at first, but they do go away. Some people get gassy, dizzy, etc. You're right, it's just your body healing. :) Like Bakon said, it's from all those chemicals leaving your body!

• Like 1

The dizziness could well be the quit. However, do some basic checks. Is lithuania having a heatwave, could you need more fluids?  If it's quit related it will pass in a few days but don't overlook other things too is all I mean  :)

Sleeping. What's you caffeine intake like? Smokers can process caffeine much quicker than non smokers. I literally had to more than half my intake, others told me it was like that for them. However day 1-3 could also be the effects of chemicals and nicotine leaving your system. Just goes to show what we were doing and we don't want to do it again. 

Yeah, it's very hot right now in Lithuania. But I don't think this is the case, cause I drink a lot of plain water. It's quit related for sure. Feel a little bit better right now. I hope it's adjusting.

My caffeine intake is very low. Only what I get from tea (I guess there is caffeine in there). I don't drink coffee these days. I guess it's detoxification what's waking me up. At least I don't have dreams about smoking :D

Glad you found your way to the train, and congratulations on your quit - best decision you could ever make!!!

It sure is!

I absolutely agree that attitude is everything... and you seem to have a really good one towards your quit! Keep that up. 

Will do :)

Ah vic you are flying it, good man, really are doing fantastic, after today, you have the hardest 3 days over with, no stopping you now xxx

It feels like a week to tell the truth :D

• Like 2

Hi, Vic and welcome.  Please remember you are in the middle of the most difficult part, and also remember you never have to go through this part, again.  Many people find the first three days are the hardest, and we call the first week Hell Week.  But I promise you it does get better...and as the other's have said...everything you are going through is 100% normal.  So glad you found us!

• Like 1