KIWI'S plan for smoke free generation

notsmokinjo

Not sure if you mob have heard but the Kiwi's (New Zealanders) are planning on making it illegal for anyone born after 2009 to purchase smokes.

Surprise... big tobacco say this it taking away people's choice. SERIOUSLY??? This from a group who have spent decades perfecting the chemical composition of their product to ensure ediction, pfft.

So, truthfully, goddonya kiwi's, here's hoping my mob follow soon. Bit issapointed we didn't jump on board as quick with this as we did giving women the vote, but I hope we follow suit real soon.

This article gave me hope...

https://theconversation.com/amp/forget-tobacco-industry-arguments-about-choice-heres-what-young-people-think-about-nzs-smokefree-generation-policy-193529

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I am so conflicted about the government banning the right to buy something. Thinking...

"Government" is just a few individuals at the top of the food chain. 

What if they decide to ban trans fats? High-fructose corn syrup?

I've never held that smoking shouldn't be allowed in public parks because children might see smokers and, "monkey see, monkey do." (A push some folks are making in my city.)

What about obese people eating doughnuts in a public park?

With the worldwide obesity and diabetes "epidemic," should trans fats and high-fructose corn syrup be banned, too? 

Anytime the government wants to meddle with my rights and force me to do or not do something, I'd kind of like to step back and see what it might try to limit or force next. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Kate18 said:

I am so conflicted about the government banning the right to buy something. Thinking...

"Government" is just a few individuals at the top of the food chain. 

What if they decide to ban trans fats? High-fructose corn syrup?

I've never held that smoking shouldn't be allowed in public parks because children might see smokers and, "monkey see, monkey do." (A push some folks are making in my city.)

What about obese people eating doughnuts in a public park?

With the worldwide obesity and diabetes "epidemic," should trans fats and high-fructose corn syrup be banned, too? 

Anytime the government wants to meddle with my rights and force me to do or not do something, I'd kind of like to step back and see what it might try to limit or force next. 

all this will do is create a black market and set a precedence.  there is already a movement to ban meat and push everyone to eating bugs.  to smoke or not to smoke is an individual choice.  where the problem comes in is when govt's attempt to spread the risk of individual choices over the entire population.  it gives them the motivation to control certain aspects of your life which leads them to controlling every aspect of your life.  they think you're a little to fat, they will cut your credit card off at the grocery store.  they think you aren't getting enough sleep, they'll cut the power off to your house at 8 pm.  think it can't happen?  if we give them the power they will most certainly take it and guaranteed they will abuse it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kate18 said:

Smoking in public parks and beaches has been banned for a few years in California already but not because of monkey see, monkey do.  It's banned here because of the risks of secondhand smoke and because of the pollution cigarette filters cause by people not throwing their butts away after putting them out. Since filters take a huge number of years to erode the contents that erode faster within them seep into the ground or are ingested by animals, fish etc.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, intoxicated yoda said:

if we give them the power they will most certainly take it and guaranteed they will abuse it.

That is a fact, seemingly almost too late to change course though.

Now that the elections are controlled, the mandates, abuse, control will continue and escalate forcefully.   

You can't smoke within 10m of a school in Victoria, Australia...even if it's not school hours. Parks/playgrounds are the same, even outdoor sporting venues. Its all about the 2nd hand smoke. Can't even smoke in pubs or clubs here.

So by some of the arguments here heroin should be legal? It's personal choice right?

2 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

So by some of the arguments here heroin should be legal? It's personal choice right?

yes, because tyranny knows no bounds and freedom comes with responsibility.  most people won't do heroin just because it's legal and those that do heroin won't stop just because it's illegal.  all it does is give those in positions of power a reason invade everyones privacy to make sure we are in compliance.  

• Like 2

Must be the Aussie prison mentality. I just don't see this as bad. Don't get me wrong, I once submitted an essay proclaiming that because heroin was less damaging on a pathophysiological level it should be legalised before dope, I just don't have an issue in laws that ban toxic drugs.

• Like 1

the banning of toxic substances in and of itself isn't a bad thing.  it's the enforcement of the ban.  I have been driving down the highway and get pulled over for riding in the left lane even though I was passing someone.  I then had my vehicle searched cause his dog decided I had drugs in the car.  Not only did the cop tear through all my personal stuff and leave a mess for me to clean up, he decided that the $230 in cash I had for emergencies on my trip was to much for me to be carrying and I must have gotten it from illegal activity and confiscated it (read that as stole it).  I was then sent on my way with no ticket, an hour and a half of my time wasted and cashless...only to have it happen again 2 hours later in the same state.  the 2nd cop was shit out of luck cuz the first one already took all my cash.  I had no drugs on me or in my car but they just "had to check".  that is the problem with those types of laws.  it's all cool as a mf as long as it's happening to someone else.  

• Sad 2