The Power Of Nicotine Addiction by Joel (Video 2014)

• 2 months later...

Wow.

I was strolling around the QTrain archives  

looking for something that addressed

how great the hold Nicotine Addiction can have on us 

and chanced upon this.

Mind Blowing.

Please quit smoking.

Please STAY Quit.

Please.

Love,

S

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I remembered something the other day that I had forgotten for many years

(due to banishing second husband from my mind)

but,

back in the day, we were on an extended canoe trip in The Quetico

and had been towed out through MN's Boundary Waters.

We were planning on a few weeks.

Compass and Map. Spectacular wilderness, Duluth Packs packed with supplies.

At the last minute we decided to forgo cigarettes and the flask of Cognac.

After two days, we went berserk from nicotine withdrawal.

We were ignorant about addiction, we just went nuts

and furiously paddled back miles and miles and miles and miles.  We were insane.

It was a v. hard paddle for two more days but, we were driven.  By Addiction.

We finally reached The Boundary Waters and found a Lodge.  Bought smokes and got drunk.  We were so crazed.

Nicotine does that.

I am so glad I quit.  Everything is better without Nicotine.  Everything

and as a caveat, camping is better with a flask of Cognac.

Snake bite and all that. LOL.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sazerac said:

...After two days, we went berserk from nicotine withdrawal.

We were ignorant about addiction, we just went nuts

and furiously paddled back miles and miles and miles and miles.  We were insane.

It was a v. hard paddle for two more days but, we were driven.  By Addiction.

We finally reached The Boundary Waters and found a Lodge.  Bought smokes and got drunk.  We were so crazed.

Nicotine does that...

Reminds me of the time that me and my father went on a two day canoeing/camping trip.  Dad had plenty of cigarettes but didn’t get the chance to smoke very many.  You see he had never been canoeing on a real river and he steered us right into a tree within five minutes of the start, overturning the canoe and the water ruined his open pack.   And so the day went.  Each time he opened a pack to have a smoke we would hit a rapid shortly after, turn over and have another wet, wasted pack.  Halfway through the day all 3 packs he had brought were ruined.   He bummed some from a buddy when we stopped for lunch and he put them in a ziplock bag to keep them dry.   But comically,  those were lost too, and soon he was offering $5 for a dry cigarette, $10 as the afternoon wore on.   We finally made it to the campground and he was able to smoke (and dry out).  I’ve got a great photo of him at the camp site sitting on a cooler, still wet, his head resting in his hands, looking exhausted

The 2nd day, he put his cigarettes into a plastic jug and tied it to the canoe so it wouldn’t get lost if we turned over.  When he had a moment to smoke, he would open the jug, take out one cigarette and carefully seal the jar back up before lighting up  We did pretty good the 2nd day and only turned over once on a very fast rapid near a short waterfall.  He still didn’t smoke very much though because floating down a river on a small narrow boat requires your constant attention and work

We never went on another canoe trip.  I always wondered if it was because he knew he wouldn’t be able to smoke as much or it was just too physically exhausting for him.  Still, for me, very fond memories, as well as two days worth of great stories, we weren’t the only amateur river rafters/canoers there

Edited by Wayne045
  • Like 3