The Price Of Smoking !!!

Doreensfree

Below is today,s prices for a packet of cigarettes...

If your still smoking just 1 packet a day ..that's alot of your hard earned cash going up in smoke ...

Wouldn't it be better spent somewhere else ...

The minute you Quit ...you instantly become richer ,in all aspects of your life .

Screenshot_20220923-094155.png

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

So.... for that 20 pack of Malboro you would be up for £16.60 or US$18.86 or Can$25.88

...for the 25 pack of B&H .... £30.44  or US$34.58 or Can$47.46.

Most of that cost is taxes.... the Aussie government is trying to phase out smoking with a policy called prohibitive pricing so every September and March the tax goes up. It's a 12.5% increase each year. 

• Like 3

I just did some research myself and found this:

Cigarette Prices by State 2022

The Price of a Pack

The average cost of a pack of cigarettes in the United States is $8.00, with average prices ranging from $6.11 (Missouri) to $11.96 (New York). The median price for a pack of cigarettes is $7.93. With 20 cigarettes per pack, the average cigarette costs between $0.31 and $0.60. Both the median and the average cost of a cigarette in the United States is $0.40.

Eleven states, along with the District of Columbia, have an average price above $10 per pack. Twenty-eight states have an average price that falls below the $8 national average.

The states with the highest cigarette prices are:

New York ($11.96)

Rhode Island ($11.71)*

Connecticut ($11.60)

Massachusetts ($11.11)

Minnesota ($10.49)

Alaska ($10.46)

Hawaii ($10.41)

Maryland ($10.26)

Illinois ($10.60)

Washington ($10.14)

*Were the District of Columbia included in this metric, it would have the nation’s second-most expensive pack price at $11.75.

The states with the lowest cigarette prices are:

Missouri

Georgia

North Dakota

North Carolina

Mississippi

Idaho

South Carolina

Nebraska

Alabama

Wyoming

Overall, the average price of cigarettes is on the rise in the United States, with an average increase of $1.50 per pack since 2018.

Average Annual Costs

According to The American Lung Association, The average daily smoker smokes 15 cigarettes a day. The price of this habit sits at a national average of $6 a day, or $2,190 per year. In New York, the average smoker would spend $8.97 per day, or $3,274.04 every year. In Missouri, the cheapest state for smokers, the average daily smoker would spend $4.58 a day, or $1672.61 per year.

Geographical Trends

Geographically, high cigarette prices tend to be concentrated in states along the northern coasts, such as New York and Washington D.C. in the Mid-Atlantic region, Rhode Island and Connecticut in the “New England” area, Illinois and Wisconsin along the Great Lakes in the upper Midwest, and Washington, Oregon, and California on the West Coast. The non-contiguous states, Hawaii and Alaska, are also home to some of the nation’s highest cigarette prices.

The lowest prices are generally concentrated in the Southern and Great Plains regions, where all states have an average price below the national average.

Taxation & Cigarettes

Cigarettes are taxed on both the federal and state levels and, in some instances, are subject to local and state sales tax as well. The federal tax rate on cigarettes is $1.01 per pack of 20 cigarettes and has remained steady since 2009. There have, however, been recent calls to increase the federal tax on tobacco products.

Each state also imposes a state tax on cigarettes, with an average of $1.91 per pack. Cigarette taxes range from $0.17 per pack in Missouri to $4.35 per pack in New York. Roughly half of states have increased the tax rate rate on cigarettes since 2012, with the greatest increases since 2018 occurring in Oregon, Maryland, and Colorado.

Cigarettes may also be taxed locally, at the city and county levels. According to Tobacco Free Kids, Chicago, Illinois has the highest combined state-local tax rate at $7.16, with Evanston, Illinois coming in second at $6.48 per pack.

Several states have also implemented minimum pricing laws. In Colorado, for example, the current minimum price per pack of cigarettes is $7, with that floor set to raise to $7.50 by 2024.

Proponents of tax increases claim that higher taxes lead to a decrease in smoking rates and increased revenues. According to The American Lung Cancer Association, for every 10 percent increase in the price of cigarettes, consumption drops by four percent among adults and seven percent among youth.

Additionally, states rely on the revenues from cigarettes to boost their general funds. According to Statista.com, total revenues from tobacco taxes in 2020 came to 12.35 billion dollars. At the federal level, this money goes to supporting health initiatives like The Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). At the state level, these funds are often used to support health initiatives, education, and smoking cessation programs.

• Like 5

Thank god I quit, I couldn’t afford £84 a week  (20 a day ) 😲 also they banned menthol cigarettes, and that was all I used to smoke.

Good thing I guess.

What an utter waste of money smoking was…..

quitting is like giving yourself the best pay rise ever 😊

• Like 4

The cost of smoking has risen considerably in many countries, with some exceptions though. I remember I was in Turkey a few years ago it seemed like almost everybody smoked there. No wonder ..... $1.62 for a pack of 20 cigs. Even worse in Ghana ... $0.99/pack of 20 😲

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_price_rankings?itemId=17

• Sad 5

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Sirius said:

I'm guesstimating my habit would cost me over $200/month now-a-days.  

I live in a state where cigarettes are still comparably "cheap."  Even at that, my addiction would be setting me back roughly $280.00 per month now.

A wise man once said: You wanna end up broke as a pissed on nickel?  Keep setting your money on fire and you'll end up broke as a pissed on nickel!  (or something like that)

• Like 3

G’day 

When  I gave the burners away I could walk into a store with a $20 note and buy a packet. Now I’m told you need a fifty dollar note to buy a packet.

Thats mind blowing. 
Im not a rich man but comfortable…. How can the unemployed or poor afford to smoke? 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Sarge has been quit for 11+ years ... Mrs. Sarge for 8-ish years now.

We financed all our climbing gear (approx $6,000) ... and an extra 2 to 4 week trip (Iceland and Wales this year) to exotic locations to climb mountains and glaciers world wide.

Hasn't cost us a dime that smoking didn't cost.

A much healthier habbit, too ... but quicker death if something goes wrong up there.

EZPZ

• Like 5