I slipped. Now what?

11better11

Hi guys. So I quit for a month or so, thanks to the support I found here. I slipped and had one, triggered by life stressors. I feel horrible. One part of me even says "You can never quit, smoke regularly, accept this life." The other part says, "Try again! Its okay." Logically, I know that this addiction is beyond useless. Anyway, sharing this here to get some advice, help, tricks, whatever can help me get back on track. 

Also, if you are considering having just one, don't. Its not worth it. 

• Like 5

So the deed is done and there's no undoing it now. beating yourself up about it will do no good either.

You're at a crossroads right now, because you've awakened all those nicotine receptors in your brain again just as they were getting into a nice deep sleep. They're going to be calling out to be fed, probably louder and more frequently than before. The question you have to answer for yourself is what is it that you want more. Freedom from this terrible addiction or another round of smoking slavery?

You may have made quitting a little harder by having 'just one' but you can still quit! You just need to double down on your efforts and your commitment to be free of this smoking nonsense. That choice can only be made by you! You know there's always support here for you but it's now time for you to really take charge of your quit if you still want to be smoke free for good.

• Like 8

Hi @11better11 

1st dont be too hard on yourself, you smoked and now need to get back up, get on the train and get working on your quit again. Do not listen to the addiction telling you you cannot do it, because you can!  Others with more experience should chime in shortly, all the best to you! 

Ok Reci posted at the same time 😀 

I only know one trick but it has has worked for me so far .......... just don't smoke no matter what.

Edited by overcome
  • Like 7

@11better11, sorry to hear you gave away your quit. Bad craves are going to happen in the early months so some things I did was suck on soft peppermint puffs, use my air cigarette and stay glued to the forum where I knew I could post an SOS if I got too close to caving to a crave. You have to be willing to do whatever it takes in order to succeed. I hope you've restarted your quit again....

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, reciprocity said:

So the deed is done and there's no undoing it now. beating yourself up about it will do no good either.

You're at a crossroads right now, because you've awakened all those nicotine receptors in your brain again just as they were getting into a nice deep sleep. They're going to be calling out to be fed, probably louder and more frequently than before. The question you have to answer for yourself is what is it that you want more. Freedom from this terrible addiction or another round of smoking slavery?

You may have made quitting a little harder by having 'just one' but you can still quit! You just need to double down on your efforts and your commitment to be free of this smoking nonsense. That choice can only be made by you! You know there's always support here for you but it's now time for you to really take charge of your quit if you still want to be smoke free for good.

What a reply. I am glad I posted here. I was reduced to tears but now I feel like this was a key lesson. 

24 minutes ago, overcome said:

Yes - I took @jillar's advise on the peppermint candy and am now on my third bucket, highly recommended.  😛

71HCmbUOISL._SL1000_.jpg

These aren't available where I live (India) but I have lots of mouth freshner alternatives. Adding this to my list of things to try when I visit the US. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, jillar said:

@11better11, sorry to hear you gave away your quit. Bad craves are going to happen in the early months so some things I did was suck on soft peppermint puffs, use my air cigarette and stay glued to the forum where I knew I could post an SOS if I got too close to caving to a crave. You have to be willing to do whatever it takes in order to succeed. I hope you've restarted your quit again....

Yes, I have restarted my quit and in a weird way I feel like I am more confident. Btw, what is an air cigarette?

Edited by 11better11
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Linda said:

@11better11 Don't beat yourself up!! You can't go back, the only choice

you have is get back in your seat, buckle up and move forward to beat this 

nasty addiction!! You can do this,its not easy but it is doable!

Yes. I am in my seat. Been physically active all this time: cleaning, washing, etc. No cravings. Thank you for your encouraging words Linda!

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, 11better11 said:

Yes, I have restarted my quit and in a weird way I feel like I am more confident. Btw, what is an air cigarette?

Mine was pretending I was holding an invisible cigarette in my fingers and going through the motions of "smoking" it. Taking deep drags and exhaling. It worked great at tricking my mind into thinking it was getting the real thing. Some people use pen casings, cut straws, even licorice whips 😊

• Like 7

Just now, jillar said:

Mine was pretending I was holding an invisible cigarette in my fingers and going through the motions of "smoking" it. Taking deep drags and exhaling. It worked great at tricking my mind into thinking it was getting the real thing. Some people use pen casings, cut straws, even licorice whips 😊

Okay that is genius!

• Like 7

Good on you for owning your slip, @11better11. Learn from it, shake it off and get back to quitting. The idea that you “cannot” quit is just your junkie brain wanting to trick you into giving it another fix. But the truth is you CAN quit! Today is a new day, and you can make it 100% smoke-free. We’re here for you. 

IMG_5046.PNG

• Like 7

Sorry to hear you smoked ..you romanced the cig ....thinking it would offer you something ...

NOPE ....smoking doesn't and never did ...

Okey ....you have been given excellent advice ...go back to basics ..learn by your mistakes ...

We have a SOS post ....for in the future .... hopefully you won't need it ...

The Nico monster is playing with your head ....Of course you can quit and stay quit ...

Never put anything in your mouth and set fire to it ☺️🐸

• Like 6

Glad to read your back onto a quit. Pretty much anything I can say here has already been said.

So maybe some advice that helped me... you only have to quit for one day... don't focus on forever or for a year... just focus on 1 day... you quit for a month last time so you know you can quit for 1 day.. each morning, wake up and say to yourself "NOPE, I will not smoke today, it's 1 day, I can do that, I've done that, yep I got this just 1 day"... then the next morning you repeat. You are tricking your brain, in the moment you are telling yourself I only have to quit for 1 day  it's not long, I can do it.... and you can, easily... the stupid part of your brain that wants to smoke goes.. cool we are smoking tomorrow, the pressures off...but then first thing next morning the smart part of your brain goes "NOPE, I will not smoke today, it's just 1 day I can do that, I've done that, yep I got this just one day".... strangely the stupid part of your brain, the bit that wants to smoke, forgets that you made the same deal the day before and it goes.. yep only hanging out today I'm getting a smoke tomorrow.... but it's not, and it gets easier each day.

Oh and tip with the Air Cigarette don't use a pen, I kept drawing back too hard and getting a mouth full of ink...the air cigarette was much better... or a pencil.

Edited by notsmokinjo
  • Like 6

Sorry to hear that you gave in to the crave @11better11, but thankful that you are right back on the train with us! You know now that giving in and smoking is not worth it and you will be more vigilant protecting your quit! We are all here to back you up and only want to see you succeed! See you around!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

each morning, wake up and say to yourself "NOPE, I will not smoke today, it's 1 day, I can do that, I've done that, yep I got this just 1 day"

Just want to +1 this point from Jo. The "one day at a time" strategy was essential for me for the first couple of months. Before I had really started to grasp the long term emotional and psychological aspects of recovery from nicotine addiction I couldn't conceive of "forever" - it made me panic. But I could do daily increments.   

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The hardest part to quitting is the understanding that it must be 100% and forevermore.

You don't get to take a break from quitting.   

Eventually, you will realize this is a feature and not a bug.  

Why would you want to do something harmful to yourself?

It's like being wistful about not being able to shoot a staple gun into your hand, just one more time...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...