Hi! New here

Fermosalua

Hi!

I'm new here. I've been smoking for 19 years 😬

I tried to quit last year, but I failed at around 3 months. Depression beat me. 

This time I'm moving homes, so I thought new life, new me. I'm quitting today! It's 10 am where I live and I plan to quit at around 8 pm to take a bath, get the disgusting smell off. and tomorrow that I move, start fresh.

I could use all your encouragement and advice. Thanks! 😀

• Like 6

Welcome aboard @Fermosalua you've come to right place to achieve your forever quit. We have members from all over the world so there's almost always someone here when you need us 😊

So since you're here why not just quit now?😊  The reason why I say this is we just had a member sign up who postponed their start date and then vanished. .ore than likely the addiction won out, hopefully I'm wrong but that's just how bad our addiction is.....

Lots to do here from the awesome member support to our forums loaded with information on our addiction. We even have a fun Social section for when you want to stay close but get your brain focused on something besides the quit 😊

• Like 4

Welcome aboard ...

Check out all the posts pinned with green on the Main Smoking Message Board...there is tons of great info 

to get you started ...

Knowledge is your weapon to fight the monster ...

Stay close ...those who do are more likely to succeed ...

No time like the present ..why put more nicotine in ..just to take it out again hours later ...

You can do it ...🐸

• Like 4

Nice to meet you, @Fermosalua. How exciting that quitting is part of your new fresh start! This community is a great place to get  encouragement and info - knowledge is an important tool for fighting the addiction. I think a bath sounds like a lovely ritual way to say goodbye forever to smoking. And the move should offer you plenty of distractions and outlets for energy when the cravings strike. Stay busy, post often about what you are experiencing, and ask for help if you need it. You can do this… and it’s worth it!!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, jillar said:

Welcome aboard @Fermosalua you've come to right place to achieve your forever quit. We have members from all over the world so there's almost always someone here when you need us 😊

So since you're here why not just quit now?😊  The reason why I say this is we just had a member sign up who postponed their start date and then vanished. .ore than likely the addiction won out, hopefully I'm wrong but that's just how bad our addiction is.....

Lots to do here from the awesome member support to our forums loaded with information on our addiction. We even have a fun Social section for when you want to stay close but get your brain focused on something besides the quit 😊

LOL I get it. But I'm not giving up, and I don't plan on disappearing. I just want to have the time to make it a nice experience, celebrate, and get rid for good of the disgusting smell. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, jillar said:

4 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

Welcome aboard ...

Check out all the posts pinned with green on the Main Smoking Message Board...there is tons of great info 

to get you started ...

Knowledge is your weapon to fight the monster ...

Stay close ...those who do are more likely to succeed ...

No time like the present ..why put more nicotine in ..just to take it out again hours later ...

You can do it ...🐸

4 hours ago, Boo said:

Welcome aboard Fermosalua.  Good call on giving up the smokes.

Quitting smoking is one of the best things you will ever do for yourself.  

4 hours ago, DenaliBlues said:

Nice to meet you, @Fermosalua. How exciting that quitting is part of your new fresh start! This community is a great place to get  encouragement and info - knowledge is an important tool for fighting the addiction. I think a bath sounds like a lovely ritual way to say goodbye forever to smoking. And the move should offer you plenty of distractions and outlets for energy when the cravings strike. Stay busy, post often about what you are experiencing, and ask for help if you need it. You can do this… and it’s worth it!!

2 hours ago, johnny5 said:

Welcome @Fermosalua  You are doing a great thing in quitting smoking.  Stick close to this site.  There is a lot of support and knowledge you can gain here to help you quit for good.  It is great to have you here.

32 minutes ago, AceWhite said:

We are here for your support-

This is the best decision you can make- your quality of life depends upon your success

Thank you all for your support! 

It's kind of a big deal since we are moving (husband and I) because I'm allergic to a bunch of stuff and I have so many sinus infections, so the doctor advised to move to a less polluted town. I can't screw this up because I'm uprooting my family to be able to breathe.

Any guide on how I should go about the sections? There are so many! 

• Like 7

Welcome @Fermosalua 

Read as much as you can as quick as you can and watch Joel's videos. I planned my quit out days ahead and it seemed still had a lot to learn in the beginning. I started reading the Easy Way by Allen Carr and it helped, made sense to me. Great bunch of people here that will share knowledge and support, you came to the right place. All the best to you! 

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Smoking-Without-Willpower/dp/178404542X/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2JLSKFAU9H7B3&keywords=alan+carr+easy+way+to+quit+smoking&qid=1662158307&sprefix=Alan+Carr%2Caps%2C138&sr=8-2

Edited by overcome
  • Like 4

It sounds like you have a strong motivation to quit - that will be a foundation you can build on. 

As you go through the first weeks, you may find that the abundance of info and past discussions here is helpful because you can pick something  new to read any time you feel like smoking! I did a lot of random reading, still do. It’s a far better way to pass the time than lighting up.

Others will have their own advice on videos or posts they would recommend reading first. For me, my “anchor” reference is this succinct page. Even though I have been smoke free for 6 mos I read it often to confirm my resolve every time I long to smoke. 

You can do this!!

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Fermosalua said:

Any guide on how I should go about the sections? There are so many! 

Yeah, there are quite a few sections to this site.

Early on, it is a good idea to read a lot of stuff in the "Quit Smoking Discussions" part.  There is a lot of knowledge there.  Joel's videos are really good as well, which you can find in these discussions.

I'd also suggest looking at "The Daily NOPE Pledge" section. This is just a daily post where you can pledge NOPE (Not One Puff Ever), even if just for one day at a time.  Early on, I was skeptical about making the pledge but it does help.

"Celebrations" are when members hit certain marks in their quit but you can make a celebrtion post whenever you feel you made a huge accomplishment (1 day smoke free, 1 week smoke free, facing some big temptation and deciding not to smoke, etc.)

Fun, games, and entertainment are also a good way to keep your mind off smoking, especially early in your quit, and there is a lot of this in the "Non-Smoking Lounge".  It also helps you get to know some of the members here.  We are an offbeat crew but love to help people quit smoking.  Life does get much better once putting nicotine addiction behind you.

Not a part of this site but I'd like to second what @overcome just posted.  Allen Carr's book really helped me as well.  I highly recommend reading it.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Fermosalua said:

I did it!!! 

Just wanted to share. 🥳

Well done !!!.....

This is a wonderful journey ...that will change your life ...also make some great new friends along the way ...

Keep reading old and very old posts as well as the new ....

There is so much stuff to learn ..and it will keep your mind occupied ...

Look at the funny pets,when your in need of a lift ...play some games ...talking of which the sticks and sticks game could always use another.chick ...it will pass the time ...

I'm a strong believer in our Daily NOPE ...it's a promise you won't smoke in the next 24 hours ...

I also read Allen Carr...that book changed the way I thought of smoking ..

But my biggest light bulb moment was watching the 3 Documentaries....

Please take the time to watch these ...

Buckle up and enjoy the ride to Freedom !!!!🐸

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Gus said:

Welcome aboard @Fermosalua! So happy that you’ve found us! Stay close to the site and reach out if you find yourself wanting to give in and smoke! Hoping that your new smoke free life is everything you want it to be!!! See you around!!! 🙂

Thank you for your kind words. It's all been exhausting and I'm feeling a little...dettached.

Thanks again.

• Like 6

(That detached feeling) Brain fog .... typical early quit symptom. If you're looking for mindless activity to partake in while your mind is lost in a fog, there's plenty of mindless games in the 'Games' section. Keeps one's mind occupied so it doesn't keep focusing on having a smoke. 

A day at a time for now, that'll get you to where it won't all be so overwhelming. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, reciprocity said:

(That detached feeling) Brain fog .... typical early quit symptom. If you're looking for mindless activity to partake in while your mind is lost in a fog, there's plenty of mindless games in the 'Games' section. Keeps one's mind occupied so it doesn't keep focusing on having a smoke. 

A day at a time for now, that'll get you to where it won't all be so overwhelming. 

Thank you, that's great advice. I can't really play games now because I'm setting my house in a new town and thw housework is endless, but that also has heped me to take my mind off smoking. I wish I had clarity enough to get my bearings in this new town but exhaustion is a strange way to redirect the craving. So, there's that. 

• Like 6