1 to 20,000 in pictures

Devil Doll

image.png.8335a2221bc4490c1400f9ff8918eb98.png

NGC 3628, also known as the Hamburger Galaxy or Sarah's Galaxy, is an unbarred spiral galaxy about 35 million light-years away in the constellation Leo. It was discovered by William Herschel in 1784. It has an approximately 300,000 light-years long tidal tail. Along with M65 and M66, NGC 3628 forms the Leo Triplet, a small group of galaxies. Its most conspicuous feature is the broad and obscuring band of dust located along the outer edge of its spiral arms, effectively transecting the galaxy to the view from Earth.

NGC 3628.

Due to the presence of an x-shaped bulge, visible in multiple wavelengths, it has been argued that NGC 3628 is instead a barred spiral galaxy with the bar seen end-on. Simulations have shown that bars often form in disk galaxies during interactions and mergers, and NGC 3628 is known to be interacting with its two large neighbors.

• Like 2

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Joe7 said:

Welcome back Roz & Jo.

Jo - I found a couple of pictures on Aug 26 & 27 that I thought you could relate to, but you were on your extended walk about and probably didn't see them.

OMG.....if anyone's keen it's page 144....that first tram is outside the Melbourne Town Hall....where I went to my first ball, drank my first Champaign....seen a heap of concerts there too, the massive organ there is world heritage listed, it's the third biggest in Australia and the second biggest British Style cathedral organ in the world that is still functioning & was built between the wars...you don't just hear it you feel it.....met one of my hero's (Weary Dunlop) there....the second team is at the St Kilda junction heading towards the heart of Melb along St Kilda Rd....has you travel towards the city of you look to your eft you will pass the Botanical Gardens, the shrine of Remembrance, which includes a field of trees with each tree dedicated to Navy vessels lost at sea and their crews...you will pass a tonne of statues, old dead British people, ancient gods, famous Aussies, my faves are Weary, the diggers and the hammer thrower...on your right you pass the army barracks, the NGV with its water wall, ponds and stain glass ceiling, the arts centre and the spire. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1