Why N.O.P.E is a must!

Jenny

I love this article on why you can't have just one.   It Takes Just One Cigarette to Relapse.
January 14, 2013 by Cameron Kellett

You will never smoke again. Accepting this is perhaps the most daunting aspect of quitting smoking and nicotine addiction recovery.

The thought of never having another cigarette can be so overwhelming, that smokers will willingly go to the grave an addict and never again taste a life free from the disease addiction.

If you have decided you no longer want to be a drug addict always in need, the reality of never smoking again is what you must ultimately confront.

In order to heal from addiction and achieve freedom you must be completely resolved to never smoke another cigarette again. Why?

Because the next smoke is always going to be just one cigarette. As will the next one and the next one and the next one!

You see, the thing with healing from nicotine addiction, is that it relies on a large number of neurons and neural connections within your brain metabolizing and breaking down due to INACTIVITY!.

The moment you smoke, especially during the early stages, you re ignite weakened connections that have been laying dormant. Instead of allowing them to break down, you re invigorate them and in turn, re enforce them.

Quitting immediately becomes harder.

To be free, you have to heal, and to heal, you must absolutely not smoke. Having a smoke will always be a step backward.

Having a smoke will always be a step backward.

There are going to be times, even in the medium to long term, the deceiving allure of tobacco will force you to recall the high of dopamine that came after relieving withdrawal.

If you find yourself arguing that “just one cigarette,” won’t hurt, you are in all likelihood, not fully resolved to quitting. Chances are, you’re also not prepared for long term recovery and have possibly quit under false expectations.

Full recovery takes many months and there will be many craves and many individual neural connections to break down.

Of the very small percentage of smokers who relapse after medium to long term recovery, each and every one started with just one cigarette. If you decide that one cigarette won’t hurt, you will almost certainly spend the rest of your life a miserable full time smoker.

Recovery always begins and ends after your LAST cigarette and never, ever, the next.

The fact is, until you choose to not smoke, EVER, you will never become a happy and free non smoker. Recovery always begins and ends after your LAST cigarette and never, EVER, the next.

If you find yourself debating whether to have just one cigarette, ask yourself this question:

Are you willing to undo everything you have achieved, all the recovery you have been through, and waste all that pain you have suffered, just to satisfy an extremely short and momentary whim?

A whim that will pass in less than a second if you allow it too.

No?

Then I guess it’s time to get on with enjoying the rest of your life!

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Jenny this really strikes a powerful chord with me. I value every premise in this article. Thanks for sharing.....and thanks to the bumpers for keeping it going.

I will not undo everything I have fought for and achieved. I will enjoy my new healthy life.

• Like 1

It's the hardest paradox to overcome.

We want just one more smoke but if your wanting a smoke then your still an addict.

Only when we no longer want a smoke are we no longer an addict.

But if your no longer an addict you won't want another smoke.

...and so it goes.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Yes, that's a good one... And I know I'm healing because the thought of never having another cigarette used to stir up lots of internal conflict for me and at times, sheer panic!   Now, I just read that and I said to myself, "Yep, that's right."  No bad feelings... Just peace

Edited by PeaceTrain
  • Like 2

^^^ That's the part that just takes blind faith and time. Becoming comfortable in your own skin as a non smoker. We are all impatient by nature when we know what we want and are working hard to get there. That's why letting newbies know what we have experienced is important I believe. I know reading about others experiences has helped me know what to expect along the way in my journey.

• 6 months later...
37 minutes ago, JOD said:

The law of addiction is very, very real, that's why!

"Administration of a drug to an addict will cause re-establishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance."

https://whyquit.com/pr/072907.html

Jim

Exactly !  Addiction doesn't go away.

We must commit to Not One Puff EVER.  That means Never Ever Forever !

Edited by Sazerac