About 5 years later....

tocevoD

I packed in for what was a good 5 years and it's now wormed its way back in. During them 5 years I'd learnt to expect that I was still going to social smoke. I would still smoke on certain occasions usually involving going out for a drink. Now Im at the point where I'm just smoking without the drink.

I can see that the problem has returned full time. It's gone from social occasions to just full time. Averaging my old average of 10 a day. It needs to stop again and it needs to stay stopped. I've always had something running alongside my quit during them 5 years. Eating well and going the gym being the main things. I have done neither since being full time back on the ciggies since April. 

I've decided that tomorrow is the day. The day I head back the gym. The day I start the battle with my brain to eradicate the thoughts of having another ciggie again. I have been through the promptings before and I'm going to tackle them full on again starting tomorrow.

Time to get the old gym kit out and go in search of the old healthy me. Wish me luck.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Wow that sounds tough, trying to smoke along the way of quitting I mean. 

A new friend of mine said and I agree, .... I am like a dormant volcano, one spark and I would be erupting again. That's why I stay on the train to remind myself.

All the best to you on this quit! 

Edited by overcome
  • Like 4

Wow !!!!....

I'm sorry to hear you smoked after a great 5 years of being free...

Sounds like you forgot just why you quit in the first place ....you got complacent.....

Pity you did ,nt come here and post a SOS ....we might  have saved that great quit together ....

All you can do is dust down ...Reread everything here ...

Go back to basics ....

We are addicts...there is no such thing as having one ...it always leads to more ...

Take your seat and buckle up...🐸

• Like 3

Exactly the same thing happened to me, @tocevoD. I had quit for several years. Then I thought (erroneously) just one won’t hurt bc my father in law died, so it’s okay. Then just one while I’m in Vegas. Just one because it would complete this perfect evening. After a few months of this I was hooked again and my addiction came raging back, to more than a pack a day. So glad you are reclaiming your quit! Me, too. What’s gonna be different for you this time?

Yours in NOPE-dom!

• Like 4

As has been said many times, the only rule to quitting and remaining quit is the age old acronym N.O.P.E. A very simple concept that we all must follow for life. Good to see you have come to that realization @tocevoD. You sound very committed and ready to go. I hope you indeed follow through with your quit and getting back into shape again. Exercise and other distractions are a great way to get into a new daily lifestyle that does not include cigarettes 👍

• Like 4

@tocevoDSorry to read you went back to full-time smoking. I stop short of calling it a relapse only because you say you've been social smoking the whole time. And now you see why we as addicts can't social smoke.

So let's get you quit for good! You have a great group of 2022 quitters to walk beside and of course all of us to lean on when needed 😊

• Like 4

Sorry to hear this @tocevoD

I think most smokers started off as social smokers (I did) and didn't think they would become addicted.  The thing is, each time you light up a cigarette, it feeds the addiction. 

Abstaining from smoking any cigarettes is the only way you will put smoking behind you.  Otherwise, you'll keep falling into the cycle of quitting and relapsing.  The best thing to do is put cigarettes out of your life forever and that is making smoking NOT an option, no matter what the situation is.

• Like 4

G’day 

Had forty years of that experience. I was always telling myself I was different I was strong enough and smart enough to be a social smoker. Smart and in control.BS. Really. How many times had I quit? Too bloody many that’s for sure.

And I’d spend years between quits and do it all again. I’d bore you …?some were days some were weeks .. same results. 
Finally I figured that I needed something different 

That something for me was N.O.P.E.

Not One Puff Ever. 
That’s not something I told someone else.

It was something I told myself. Admitted to me.

Me. And me only. 
Me…Im an addict.

Yep.

I am only 1 puff away from 20 cigs (plus?) a day. 
I can not ever fool myself I’m really that addict. 
By the way….. thanks …. Really.

Thanks for reminding me …… I don’t want to ever forget.

Not One Puff Ever for me. Every day.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 8/21/2022 at 5:39 AM, tocevoD said:

The day I start the battle with my brain to eradicate the thoughts of having another ciggie again.

Remember the two rules for a successful quit.  Rule #1: DON'T SMOKE!  Rule #2: If you have any further questions refer back to Rule #1.

Thoughts about smoking are going to be there during a quit.  There's not much point in fighting it.  Thoughts only become commands when we surrender to them.

Keep it simple.  DON'T SMOKE!

• Like 5

I tried the same thing. Thought I could only have a couple a day and it did work for the most part BUT it never lasted long. A couple drinks or stress and give me a smoke. Spent a very large part of my life fooling myself. I am addicted and that is that. Almost six years since I last smoked and I imagine if I smoked one now within a few weeks I would be doing some smoking everyday. Sorry you lost the quit but start up again. Your better for having quit that long but you realize the power of the addiction now. best wishes and welcome aboard.

• Like 5