I'm on the train

32 minutes ago, FunkyMonkey said:

Watch out I can be a nervous traveler🤪 

Welcome aboard - barf-bags for nervous travelers are over there in the corner if needed 🤮

Seriously though, quitting is ultra simple. Only one rule: N.O.P.E. (Not One Puff Ever). maintain that rule as your junkie brain tries to convince you otherwise & you'll come out the other side as a proud quitter! You'll get lots of expert knowledge here as well as support from other quitters 👍 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have just opened my 1 hour present to myself - a magnetic memory game. I got the idea from someone on here who played a memory game on their phone but I wanted something that would keep my hands busy and I could travel with (without relying on cell reception or batteries being charged). Yay Me 

Schitts Creek Flirt GIF by CBC

• Like 7

Rewards are good! They reinforce your good quit behavior! Set your milestones or goals and reward yourself accordingly.

Keep checking out the forum too! Lots of good stuff that will educate you about the lies & realities of smoking & quitting. There's a video page too that addresses just about every single issue surrounding smoking & quitting. Need a little extra motivation? Get mad at the tobacco industry by watching the three episodes of Tobacco Wars. Lots of stuff for you here on this site 😀

• Like 5

I'm going to use this thread as a journal of sorts. Just went through the 2 hour zoinkies. All of you know that fidgety, irritated, distractedness that hits at the 2 hour mark when you were in a meeting, on a flight or some other place that was no-smoking. Blech - did 10 table push-ups (thanks @DenaliBlues) strangled my fidget stretch caterpillar doohickey, ate a granola bar. I have tools and I'm not afraid to use them!

I picked today as my quit day because I was the only one at the office this morning and remote working from Noon today until 8:30am next Wednesday. I can remote work next Wednesday & Thursday (my office days) if I need to. I am very fortunate with that flexibility - I know not everyone has it. I picked an afternoon quit time because I want to have 16 or so hours under my belt before I get up tomorrow. I also picked a Thursday in case day 2-4 are royally sucky, I can stay in bed or basically do whatever I want (that doesn't involve sticking anything in mouth and lighting it on fire). We do have plans on Saturday but my husband will still go and enjoy himself if I back out with a case of the "drama queens" (thanks @El Bandito I love that phrase). 

Oh look at that I just used a 1/2 hour posting this reply. I went out this week and bought party favor bags and filled them with little treats and gadgets for myself as rewards. I figure I deserve to be nice to myself finally!

Edited by FunkyMonkey
forgot a word
  • Like 9

3 hours - walked around the backyard blowing bubbles (instead of smoke)

Don't worry - I won't update every hour. I have been watching the videos all week and I want to focus on the positive. If I'm not back this evening - I will be bright and early tomorrow morning trying to work through the morning funkiness. I do you have some frozen breakfast bowls that I can shove in my mouth first off to address the "H" part of H.A.L.T

sesame street bubbles GIF

• Like 7

Welcome aboard funky monkey, congratulations on your decision to take back your life. Stick close and be vigilant. Take in all the postings, articles and videos because knowledge is power. This is going to take some work on your part but have faith in yourself because this is a very achievable.

• Like 6

I'm still on the train. The weather is foggy - lol. I'm in a good space but struggling with trying to write a coherent sentence - lots I want to say that will have to wait until later.

Holiday Ugh GIF by AT&T

Good Lord I had no idea how many times I thought: "I'll smoke when I'm done with that or I'll smoke first and then do that". The crazy thing is I didn't smoke every time I said that to myself but man my junky brain is persistent: "pick me - over here - yoo-hoo - pick me". 

• Like 7

The constant thoughts of smoking when we first quit is one of THE worst withdrawal symptoms of them all which makes that first day, and it will come, that you wake up and realize a few hours later that you haven't thought about a cigarette that much more spectacular. It's like you realize that what everyone was telling you IS true, and you WILL get past all this crappy stuff and be smoke free! So, hang in there, it's worth it :) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard, @FunkyMonkey  These early ups and downs are normal.  You are doing a great job in fighting through them.

Keep up the great work.  Things do get better and quitting smoking is worth the early emotional roller coasters you may go through

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 Hours!!

Woo Hoo Party Animal GIF by TELUS

I'm currently eating my way through a bowl of pretzels. I bought all kinds of candy but I'm craving salty - so be it. It's really hot here so I've been walking around the yard rather than the neighborhood. It's all good - I'm glad I faced that potential trigger (smoked out in the back yard for years) and got over it. No giant cigarette monster jumped out from behind the apple tree & made me smoke 🤣

The truth is I had more anxiety the past 2 weeks (and anytime I contemplated quitting) than I've had in the past 24 hours. It's not a piece of cake (mmmm cake), wait what was I saying.... don't I have a spice cake recipe somewhere??? *wanders off* 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, FunkyMonkey said:

24 Hours!!

The truth is I had more anxiety the past 2 weeks (and anytime I contemplated quitting) than I've had in the past 24 hours. 

So many people find that to be true funkymonkey, congratulations on your first full day quit :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FunkyMonkey said:

24 Hours!!

Congratulations on your first day smoke free.  That is a huge accomplishment.  These early victories are great.  Keep up the awesome work.

morgan-freeman-applause.gif

• Like 4

6 hours ago, FunkyMonkey said:

I'm still on the train. The weather is foggy - lol. I'm in a good space but struggling with trying to write a coherent sentence - lots I want to say that will have to wait until later.

Holiday Ugh GIF by AT&T

I had brain fog very bad as well, for me it lasted till about the 2nd or 3rd day and started tapering off.

Your doing great, hang in there. 

• Like 5

The truth is I had more anxiety the past 2 weeks (and anytime I contemplated quitting) than I've had in the past 24 hours. It's not a piece of cake (mmmm cake), wait what was I saying.... don't I have a spice cake recipe somewhere??? *wanders off* 

Our brains can sometimes be our worst enemy ...

Well done ....upwards and onwards ..🐸

• Like 4

Black And White Reaction GIF

Not the best night last - but I'm still here. I don't think I am using the NRT correctly so I am going to save it for "emergency craves" and stick the rest out CT. I'm pretty sure I was CT without knowing it.

Anyway - not insomnia so much as frequently waking (I could fall back asleep quickly) and waking up every hour or 2 to use the bathroom. And I was hot - had 2 fans blowing on me. Oh yeah and I woke up starving.  The brain fog seems a little better.

• Like 4